PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder mythic

Sto
2019-08-25, 11:16 PM
So I've been with a group for almost a year now, and this group uses the mythic rules for Pathfinder. They had two campaigns going. A high level one and one around level 7. After playing in the low level campaign I was asked if I wanted to participate in the high level campaign. This campaign was level 17 mythic rank 3. Now it's level 18 mythic rank 5.

Allow me to preface what came next with the following: at the time I was playing a sorcerer dragon disciple focused on grappling. So they naturally didn't think too much on what my character was doing. They also say strength is multiplied on a critical, which is apparently not how it normally works?
This is also a low magic campaign using automatic bonus progression.
The party runs a lot of third party stuff

So I made a paladin. He was paladin 14 inheritor's crusader 3, because I liked the flavor of the class. I decided to take vital strike. So as you can tell, this character was not optimized. He was a mythic hierophant for those wondering.
He started doing "broken damage" with two feats. These are mythic power attack and mythic vital strike. Mythic power attack states it's multiplied on crits. At 17 BAB mythic power attack with a two hand weapon adds around 18 damage. Add in my strength for another 10 is 28. So his bonus to damage was 112. I also had a third party archetype for paladin that replaces lay on hands with more damage that you can charge your weapon with. And what's called channel shockwave, which lets you add your channel energy as damage.
So I crit a boss that happened to be an undead I was smiting at the time. So then I hit it for 22d6+146. Not a lot, I've done more with casters. But now this character is retired. Because he hit the superbeast too hard and someone in the party was giving me grief over it. 8d6+112 damage isn't a lot. Also because when we hit mythic rank 5 the gm said "wait mythic improved vital strike" and realized how much damage I was getting ready to do. For those who don't know mythic improved vital strike makes all damage you add to an attack multiplied by, in this case, greater vital strike. So that means my 15d6+146 against evil outsiders was going to become 36d6+248ish. I already had a backup character, but this isn't the most busted thing I did with mythic. I made a barbarian named Eustace Bagge that can kill any enemy in the game in one hit, just by being barbarian 20 mythic champion 10. Ignores Dr and cancels Regen. I came up with a combo with psionics that does 4800 damage but allows for like 14 reflex saves.

TLDR mythic is stupid

Particle_Man
2019-08-25, 11:22 PM
Why was someone in the party giving you grief? The game is mythic. You are meant to do mythic things!

Psyren
2019-08-26, 01:08 AM
They also say strength is multiplied on a critical, which is apparently not how it normally works?

No, that's normal, static bonuses are included in a crit.

Mythic power attack states it's multiplied on crits.

The same is true for regular Power Attack, as it is also a static (i.e. nonvariable) bonus.

TLDR mythic is stupid

Your group doesn't actually appear to know the non-Mythic rules :smallconfused:

Kurald Galain
2019-08-26, 02:15 AM
Yeah, paladins are supposed to do massive damage when smiting. And even moreso against undead. And even moreso on a crit. That's true regardless of optimization.

Anyone who doesn't find that obvious probably shouldn't be playing at level 17, let alone mythic.

Mr Adventurer
2019-08-26, 03:36 AM
"mythic is stupid" is not the message I take away from your story...

HurinSmite
2019-08-26, 09:02 AM
So you used 3pp stuff and psionics on top of not knowing the rules. And you're surprised it was unbalanced?