PDA

View Full Version : Optimization assistance please

Brawls
2007-10-12, 05:01 PM
As the title states, I'd like some assistance with optimizing my current character.

Campaign setting is homebrewed and fairly low access to magic items (meaning you can't just go buy what you need/want most the time, and the DM reigns in access to magic to keep a degree of control over challenge levels). We play with all the Core books + many of the Complete books + Tome of Battle (new addition).

Character is a half-orc fighter level 6, Lawfull Neutral
Backstory is he served as an Aide de Camp for an Ogre Maji commander, learning a lot about discipline, tactics, and leadership. Following their defeat in the war, he was given the obligation to return the Ogre Maji's swords to his clan. He spent several years in a monastary laying low, until it was safer to travel. He has taken up as a sword for hire to raise funds for passage to the Ogre Maji's homelands. He has learned to two-weapon fight with the Ogre maji's katana wakasahi, and fight unarmed.

The campaign allowed for very high-powered stats (4d6 drop lowest, roll 7 stats drop lowest, roll 6 sets pick best).

With racial mods, his stats are:
Str: 20
Dex:15
Con:16
Wis: 14
Int: 13 (+1 at 4th level)
Chr: 11

I was originally looking at moving to the Kensai PrC. That, combined with his backstory have directed the following feat selection:

Improved Unarmed Fighting
Two-Weapon Fighting
Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Katana)
Weapon Focus (Katana)
Weapon Specialization (Katana)
Combat Expertise
Power Attack

Skillwise, he is limited; however, the GM has allowed a lot of cross-class skills at cost b/c of his backstory. He has taken ranks in: ride, concentraqtion, diplomacy (per the Kensai requirements) + some intimidate, sense motive, knowledge, and survival.

As I said, I was looking at progressing to Kensai and using the Katana as his personal weapon (or whatever that class ability is called). Then I bought the ToB. Now I am going to multi-class with Warblade. Justification is his Ogre Maji commander was one and now that he has some combat experience coupled with his time among the Monks, the forms, exercises, and training are begining to come together for him. So, I am looking at the Diamond mind as a central discipline, as it synergizes with the 9 ranks in concentration he already has. Further, the mental overtones of the discipline matches well with his "smart fighter/tactician" concept.

Because of his 6 fighter levels, he will begin with access to 2nd level initate abilities. I am looking at Moment of Pefect Mind and the other boost that will let him replace his Will and Ref saves with a concentration check. Beyond that, I'm not sure what to take for other manuevers and stances. It would be nice to synergize with his TWF and/or his high strength. I like the fact that the Warblade could allow me to re-task Weap. Focus/Specialization on a new weapon. Also, does that ability allow me to re-task Exotic Weap. Prof. to a different exotic weapon?

So, I'd appreciate recommendations on ways to optimize his build, assuming I multi-class to Warblade. I'll entertain other PrCs, but I am fairly set on the Warblade. What disciplines, manuevers, stances, etc.? What other feats should I think about? He will continue to be the party fighter, so he has to be able to control the battlefield enough to protect the softies.

Thanks for your contributions,

Brawls

Kyeudo
2007-10-12, 05:25 PM
Improved Unarmed Fighting
Two-Weapon Fighting
Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Katana)
Weapon Focus (Katana)
Weapon Specialization (Katana)
Combat Expertise
Power Attack

Now, I take it that this is a character already built, and you are trying to figure where to go from here, correct?

If I'm wrong, I'd drop at least power attack from the list above, as the penalties will realy hurt your chances of hitting, and I'd also drop Improved Unarmed Strike.

If this is an already built character, hopefully you have access to the PHB2 retraining rules and can gradualy trade those out for more useful feats, like Martial Study.

Warblade is probably the best choice to class into, with its full BAB and good manuver selection. Yes, Weapon Familiarity would allow you to trade Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Katana) for Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain) with an hour's practice.

For Manuvers, focus on the school of Tiger Claw. While it has some Jump focused manuvers, it also uses Two Weapon Fighting to assist in several of its manuvers, such as Girralion Flesh Rip. For other manuvers, delve into Iron Heart for some fun stuff, such as Iron Heart Surge.

Brawls
2007-10-12, 05:58 PM
Now, I take it that this is a character already built, and you are trying to figure where to go from here, correct?

If I'm wrong, I'd drop at least power attack from the list above, as the penalties will realy hurt your chances of hitting, and I'd also drop Improved Unarmed Strike.

If this is an already built character, hopefully you have access to the PHB2 retraining rules and can gradualy trade those out for more useful feats, like Martial Study.

Warblade is probably the best choice to class into, with its full BAB and good manuver selection. Yes, Weapon Familiarity would allow you to trade Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Katana) for Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain) with an hour's practice.

For Manuvers, focus on the school of Tiger Claw. While it has some Jump focused manuvers, it also uses Two Weapon Fighting to assist in several of its manuvers, such as Girralion Flesh Rip. For other manuvers, delve into Iron Heart for some fun stuff, such as Iron Heart Surge.

Character is already built as described. Don't have PHBII so I don't think I'll retrain existing feats. In fact, one feat I would consider would be superior unarmed fighting, so I could bust a move in hand to hand from time to time. I'll look at Tiger Claw. Iron Heart has been in the back of my mind for a bit, but I'm not sure about an optimized progression.

Rad
2007-10-13, 08:29 AM
I heard many ToBers say that the swordsage was the right class for both TWF and unarmed stirkes. Don't know about the specifcs but I guess you could read into it.

hope this helps

Zincorium
2007-10-13, 08:53 AM
Exotic weapon master, you already qualify for it and can take it next level.

Get the uncanny blow trick. Use your katana two handed, with the resulting bonuses, and TWF either with unarmed strikes or armor spikes (armor spikes being specifically allowed by the FAQ, which is reasonably official and will help to convince your DM).

After that, warblade is probably your best choice if you can access Tome of Battle material. Kensai isn't a strictly bad choice, it's got very nice special abilities (+8 unnamed bonus to strength? Yes please) but the full BAB is a definite downside.

Edit:
Exotic weapon master requires a piddly three ranks in a skill which is one of the few that isn't cross class for fighters.