PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial Elder Scrolls RPG

fishyfishyfishy
2019-08-26, 08:26 AM
Is anyone familiar with this game? I'm having some difficulty grasping the character creation rules. The game says it's based off Dark Heresy, which I'm not familiar with at all. I'm getting lost at the creation points stage. It seems pretty open ended but I'm not positive I'm understanding it correctly. You can buy just about anything so long as you have enough points?

The Glyphstone
2019-08-26, 09:34 AM
Is it based off Dark Heresy 1st edition, or 2nd edition? They are entirely different systems in terms of character creation.

fishyfishyfishy
2019-08-26, 09:45 AM
I honestly don't know. I have never read Dark Hersey. You get creation points that you can spend on various things like spells, combat perks, and skills.

Other Games
This game draws inspiration from a number of other
role-playing games. In particular: Dark Heresy (Fantasy
Flight Games), Eclipse Phase (Posthuman Studios), and
Runequest Sixth Edition (The Design Mechanism). The
authors of this book do not claim to own any of these games,
or any of the mechanics drawn from and/or inspired by
them. All credit goes to the respective owners.

The Glyphstone
2019-08-27, 10:52 AM
That doesn't sound anything like Dark Heresy, other than 'buying individual skills/abilities' which is literally every game written other than D&D-descended class systems.

Aneurin
2019-08-27, 03:01 PM
That doesn't sound anything like Dark Heresy, other than 'buying individual skills/abilities' which is literally every game written other than D&D-descended class systems.

I'm not very familiar with the Unofficial Elder Scrolls system, but as far as I'm aware it uses a percentile system and has been moving away from Dark Heresy 1e's structure with each successive edition. The first few editions, at least, predate DH 2e by quite a bit.

"Inspired by Dark Heresy" probably means that it's percentile based, and is similar in its attitude to stupid risks (aka, make them and you probably die).

To the OP: it has been a very long time since I looked at the system, and I didn't look at it very well, but I think your read is correct. Unless it specifically says otherwise, or that there's a requirement, you can just take what you like. I do, however, defer to anyone who's looked at the system more recently than I.

LibraryOgre
2019-08-27, 04:21 PM
FWIW, I have an Elder Scrolls conversion to Savage Worlds Deluxe edition. (https://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/p/the-savage-scrolls-savage-worlds-hack.html)

I need to update it to Adventure Edition, I know.

Knaight
2019-09-05, 12:55 PM

Class systems, lifepath systems, random generation systems, ordinal selection systems, the list of things that aren't point buy is long. That said it's probably the single most ubiquitous of the lot.

fishyfishyfishy
2019-09-07, 08:31 PM
To the OP: it has been a very long time since I looked at the system, and I didn't look at it very well, but I think your read is correct. Unless it specifically says otherwise, or that there's a requirement, you can just take what you like. I do, however, defer to anyone who's looked at the system more recently than I.

It seems I was looking at the 1e version. I found the 3e version, which made some updates that I'm indifferent to since I'm not familiar with it anyway.

Edit: character creation seems to be the same. I think I'm understanding it correctly. It's a very freeform character generation. Chunks of XP to be spent on pretty much anything.

ErdrickOfAliaha
2019-09-13, 02:23 AM
There's also "Edge of Tamriel" which runs through the Genesys system
I've given it a read through but haven't had a chance to take a group through a game. Reads pretty solidly built. Pdf is organized well also. Found a link for it here in the playground but 'twas a while ago so don't recall where in Homebrew it is.

Although Genesys is also made by FFG, it is worlds apart from Dark Heresy.

Incorrect
2019-10-14, 02:40 AM
Edit: character creation seems to be the same. I think I'm understanding it correctly. It's a very freeform character generation. Chunks of XP to be spent on pretty much anything.

Yeah, its a buffet of choices. You want archer/mage, just go ahead and buy that.
Everything costs the same for everyone, except a 25% discount on things related to your 2 favored characteristics.

I would wish the rules for enchanting, and what it costs were clearer.
And maybe a few more pages of talents to choose from.

Rynjin
2019-10-18, 01:58 PM
FWIW, I have an Elder Scrolls conversion to Savage Worlds Deluxe edition. (https://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/p/the-savage-scrolls-savage-worlds-hack.html)

I need to update it to Adventure Edition, I know.

From what I understand there's not a ton to update, if that makes it easy. At a quick read of the PDF I bought a few weeks back, the core ruleset is identical, just has some elements streamlined like rolling near-universally taken skills into being free stuff.

LibraryOgre
2019-10-18, 02:29 PM
From what I understand there's not a ton to update, if that makes it easy. At a quick read of the PDF I bought a few weeks back, the core ruleset is identical, just has some elements streamlined like rolling near-universally taken skills into being free stuff.

Well, if you followed that link in the last couple of days, it went to the Adventure Edition hack, anyway, which also added some Edges for some races and astrological signs, as well as discussion of standard edges and hindrances in a Tamriel game.