PDA

View Full Version : Better version of Kobolds

Charles Martel
2019-08-26, 10:32 AM
I'm starting a campaign soon where I would like to play as a kobold. Problem is, I don't want to play the Volo's kobolds and I'm struggling to find or create a homebrewed version.

I find the Volo's guide Kobolds terrible to play as for the following reasons:
---Grovel, Cower, and Beg is IMO quite useless. From an action economy perspective it's usually just bad, and its upside is severely limited because it's only once/short rest. More importantly, it's just plain not fun as a PC. I don't really want to play a character who starts groveling in the middle of combat (although in theory you could want to play a character who would do such a thing).
---Their ability score +2,-2, sunlight sensitivity, darkvision, and pack tactics adds up to an unimpressive package (even considering that pack tactics is pretty powerful). Detect Balance rates them as worse than any other race, slightly below non-variant humans.
---Lacks any inspiration from an exciting reason to be a kobold. I'm disappointed that neither Tucker's kobolds nor their relation to dragons were used as inspiration.

My DM will probably approve any reasonable custom race I bring to her, but I've run into at least one of the following issues with anything I've found online or come up with myself:
--- Too similar to goblins mechanically (there will probably also be a goblin PC in the party)
--- Too complex/inelegant (not a big fan of subraces that are actually just classes)

Does anyone have any suggestions for making better kobolds?

JellyPooga
2019-08-26, 11:01 AM
+2 Dex, +1 Int : Kobolds are lithe and cunning

Size: Small
Speed: 30ft
Darkvision 60ft (duh)

Trapcunning : Ribbon feature akin to Dwarven Stonecunning.

Bonus Proficiency: Thieves Tools

Scrawny: Kobolds can squeeze through any opening that their head will fit without any penalty to their movement.

Kobold Bravery: Kobolds get +2 to all Saving Throws so long as an ally is providing cover from the source of the effect.

Languages: Common, Draconic

Nagog
2019-08-26, 11:01 AM
I'm starting a campaign soon where I would like to play as a kobold. Problem is, I don't want to play the Volo's kobolds and I'm struggling to find or create a homebrewed version.

---Grovel, Cower, and Beg is IMO quite useless. From an action economy perspective it's usually just bad, and its upside is severely limited because it's only once/short rest. More importantly, it's just plain not fun as a PC. I don't really want to play a character who starts groveling in the middle of combat (although in theory you could want to play a character who would do such a thing).
---Their ability score +2,-2, sunlight sensitivity, darkvision, and pack tactics adds up to an unimpressive package (even considering that pack tactics is pretty powerful). Detect Balance rates them as worse than any other race, slightly below non-variant humans.
---Lacks any inspiration from an exciting reason to be a kobold. I'm disappointed that neither Tucker's kobolds nor their relation to dragons were used as inspiration.

My DM will probably approve any reasonable custom race I bring to her, but I've run into at least one of the following issues with anything I've found online or come up with myself:
--- Too similar to goblins mechanically (there will probably also be a goblin PC in the party)
--- Too complex/inelegant (not a big fan of subraces that are actually just classes)

Use the Volo's Kobold as a template but: Remove Sunlight Sensitivity and Negative Ability Modifiers. That typically makes them decent, but for extra flavor you could swap out the begging thing for a slight situational bonus to area control spells similar enough to traps (things like Spike Growth, Snare, Etc.) have a Save DC bonus of +2. While that creates a heavy Ranger/Druid bend, it fits the flavor of Tucker's Kobolds much better. Perhaps give them elemental "Magic" for just such spells.
Or give them racial access to an elemental damage cantrip, similar to a Dragonborn's breath weapon but, well, smaller.
You could also look to Lizardfolk for some reptilian racial features to mix into the pot.

JackPhoenix
2019-08-26, 11:09 AM
What do you expect a kobold to be? Ignoring Grovel, Cower and Beg (which is terrible for multiple reasons), kobold is, IMO, one of the better NPC-to-PC race translations in Volo's (look at the hobgoblin, for example). Kobolds really are supposed to be that pathetic. The more you change on that, the less will it feel lika a kobold.

Sigreid
2019-08-26, 11:20 AM
At my table we just dropped grovel and the strength penalty. Having fun with mine.

Bjarkmundur
2019-08-26, 11:21 AM
Use halfling and slap a different name on it?

Have you looked at other editions for inspiration? 4e? 3.5? Pathf?

Charles Martel
2019-08-26, 12:02 PM
3.5/pathfinder kobolds get natural armor + size bonuses and will generally be able to stack a higher AC than others can. Hard to implement to real benefit in 5e bounded accuracy.

Basically any race can be implemented as variant human with maybe a size change and maybe swap their proficiencies for darkvision.

Jellypooga's version does seem like a good improvement on the original to me.

Dork_Forge
2019-08-26, 12:14 PM
Whenever I've used the Kobold I've stripped out the Str penalty and replaced the speed with 25ft. Then there's a few options: Either give them 120ft Darkvision or just get rid of the Sunlight Sensitivity, they're the only player race to have regular Darkvision but sensitivity. Replace Grovel, Cower and Beg with a Breath weapon or a fly speed (like an Urd) each being a Variant or subrace.

Nagog
2019-08-26, 12:51 PM
What do you expect a kobold to be? Ignoring Grovel, Cower and Beg (which is terrible for multiple reasons), kobold is, IMO, one of the better NPC-to-PC race translations in Volo's (look at the hobgoblin, for example). Kobolds really are supposed to be that pathetic. The more you change on that, the less will it feel lika a kobold.

Whats wrong with the Hobgoblin? I actually really like the Hobgoblin as a race, I have 2 PCs for them now and haven't noticed anything wrong with them.

JackPhoenix
2019-08-26, 01:59 PM
Whats wrong with the Hobgoblin? I actually really like the Hobgoblin as a race, I have 2 PCs for them now and haven't noticed anything wrong with them.

Doesn't fit their fluff, and has nothing to common with NPC version. Iconic hobgoblin ability is Martial Advantage, which the race doesn't get. But also, iconic class for hobgoblin is a fighter, and there's almost zero synergy between the race and class, instead, they are pretty much purpose-made for wizards.

Everyone and their grandmother gets darkvision, so that's nothing special.
Any class that would fit the hobgoblin image as a warrior gets no benefit from Martial Training... unlike, say, wizards.
Saving Face is good for anyone, but it's a weird ability that (like kobold's Grovel, Cower and Beg) forces certain personality upon the character.
And, of course, ability score bonuses: Con is usable for anyone, true, but only wizards care about Int. Hobgoblins never were presented as specially intellectual... even their casters are mentioned as only caring for magic as a tool of warfare, with little interested for theory.

Compare it to another typical warrior race, dwarf (which also has some similarities to hobgoblin mechanically):

Darkvision. Yawn.
Combat training, like hobgoblin's Martial Training is wasted on fighters, and so is armor proficiency, though medium armor is usable to wider variety of characters.
Dwarven Resilience is useful for anyone
Tool proficiency and Stonecunning are RP tools, but again, anyone can benefit from it
Not being slowed by heavy armor helps warriors who don't have enough Str.
Con, like hobgoblin.

Then we get to subraces:
Str is helpful to warrior types, and medium armor proficiency may be helpful to wider variety of characters than just wizards and sorcerers.
Extra HP are good for a warrior, and while Wisdom is less use for them, it's a common save. And cleric is another iconic dwarven class.

Comparing hobgoblins and dwarves, dwarves offer more abilities that benefit warriors, as they should, but they also have abilities usable for non-archetypal characters. Hobgoblin, OTOH, has pretty much nothing to offer to warrior-type character, and while the proficiency may be of a minor benefit to rogues, both their ability bonuses and extra proficiencies benefit wizards, a class hobgoblins have little to do with in fluff.

Chalkarts
2019-08-26, 02:05 PM
3.5ed Races of the Dragon had a great write up on kobolds and some great options.
One of my favorite builds is the flying kobold alchemist.

HappyDaze
2019-08-26, 03:19 PM
What is it about kobolds you like? They are mechanically crap, but they are supposed to be that way, so if the mechanics don't suit you then find something that does. If you are going for the underdog that's actually awesome, then kobolds have a hard time of it and that is by intent.

Nagog
2019-08-27, 08:20 AM
Doesn't fit their fluff, and has nothing to common with NPC version. Iconic hobgoblin ability is Martial Advantage, which the race doesn't get. But also, iconic class for hobgoblin is a fighter, and there's almost zero synergy between the race and class, instead, they are pretty much purpose-made for wizards.

Everyone and their grandmother gets darkvision, so that's nothing special.
Any class that would fit the hobgoblin image as a warrior gets no benefit from Martial Training... unlike, say, wizards.
Saving Face is good for anyone, but it's a weird ability that (like kobold's Grovel, Cower and Beg) forces certain personality upon the character.
And, of course, ability score bonuses: Con is usable for anyone, true, but only wizards care about Int. Hobgoblins never were presented as specially intellectual... even their casters are mentioned as only caring for magic as a tool of warfare, with little interested for theory.

Compare it to another typical warrior race, dwarf (which also has some similarities to hobgoblin mechanically):

Darkvision. Yawn.
Combat training, like hobgoblin's Martial Training is wasted on fighters, and so is armor proficiency, though medium armor is usable to wider variety of characters.
Dwarven Resilience is useful for anyone
Tool proficiency and Stonecunning are RP tools, but again, anyone can benefit from it
Not being slowed by heavy armor helps warriors who don't have enough Str.
Con, like hobgoblin.

Then we get to subraces:
Str is helpful to warrior types, and medium armor proficiency may be helpful to wider variety of characters than just wizards and sorcerers.
Extra HP are good for a warrior, and while Wisdom is less use for them, it's a common save. And cleric is another iconic dwarven class.

Comparing hobgoblins and dwarves, dwarves offer more abilities that benefit warriors, as they should, but they also have abilities usable for non-archetypal characters. Hobgoblin, OTOH, has pretty much nothing to offer to warrior-type character, and while the proficiency may be of a minor benefit to rogues, both their ability bonuses and extra proficiencies benefit wizards, a class hobgoblins have little to do with in fluff.

Ok so your arguments are that the benefits, while great, don't fit the fluff? Aren't Hobgoblins the smartest of the goblinoid races (therefore the Int bonus)? Aren't they all trained on weapon and armor, no matter their intended role in society (hence the martial and armor proficiencies)? Seems to me the stats fit the fluff quite well. A race born and bred for martial combat will be proficient in martial combat no matter the class, even if a Hobgoblin Wizard is not as proficient in it as a Warlord.
Therefore, it seems you don't like it because it'd not built to facilitate an optimized warrior. So what? That doesn't make it a bad race, far from it. Any spellcaster would be greatly benefited by light armor proficiency, and plenty of classes beyond that benefit from the martial weapon proficiency. Con is absolutely never a dump stat, and Int is a nice stat to have, even if there aren't a ton of classes that capitalize on it. To me, Con is the most class neutral of all the base stats, and playing a character with no intelligence feels really boring to me if I have to take a moment and wonder if my plan of action would even make sense to a character with low intelligence, much less if they'd come up with it themselves, so if anything Hobgoblin is a race that fits well into any class.
Saving Face is also a great buff to have, as since it's a numerical buff rather than advantage, you're able to hit DCs previously inaccessible to your roll.
But because they aren't as optimized as arguably the best dwarf subrace in the game, they're trash and worse than pretty much any other race.

What is it about kobolds you like? They are mechanically crap, but they are supposed to be that way, so if the mechanics don't suit you then find something that does. If you are going for the underdog that's actually awesome, then kobolds have a hard time of it and that is by intent.

I think Kobolds are great for the type of shenanigans they pull with traps and the like. Kind of the Underdog feel, but more along the lines of being underestimated and often compared to the much less intelligent Goblins.

HappyDaze
2019-08-27, 08:30 AM
Con is absolutely never a dump stat, and Int is a nice stat to have, even if there aren't a ton of classes that capitalize on it.

All attributes are nice to have, but Int is one of the least useful to many classes and is one of the most common dump stats (along with Str and Cha). In fact, with the standard array, I almost always see the 8 in one of Str, Int, or Cha. So really, Int may be nice to have, but not at the cost of a stat that is more useful to a warrior.

Nagog
2019-08-27, 08:51 AM
All attributes are nice to have, but Int is one of the least useful to many classes and is one of the most common dump stats (along with Str and Cha). In fact, with the standard array, I almost always see the 8 in one of Str, Int, or Cha. So really, Int may be nice to have, but not at the cost of a stat that is more useful to a warrior.

Yes, I believe I addressed that with saying that the stats aren't built to accommodate a power built warrior, they're the way they are to portray the race and what they do/are.

Dienekes
2019-08-27, 09:34 AM
Ok so your arguments are that the benefits, while great, don't fit the fluff? Aren't Hobgoblins the smartest of the goblinoid races (therefore the Int bonus)? Aren't they all trained on weapon and armor, no matter their intended role in society (hence the martial and armor proficiencies)? Seems to me the stats fit the fluff quite well. A race born and bred for martial combat will be proficient in martial combat no matter the class, even if a Hobgoblin Wizard is not as proficient in it as a Warlord.
Therefore, it seems you don't like it because it'd not built to facilitate an optimized warrior. So what? That doesn't make it a bad race, far from it. Any spellcaster would be greatly benefited by light armor proficiency, and plenty of classes beyond that benefit from the martial weapon proficiency. Con is absolutely never a dump stat, and Int is a nice stat to have, even if there aren't a ton of classes that capitalize on it. To me, Con is the most class neutral of all the base stats, and playing a character with no intelligence feels really boring to me if I have to take a moment and wonder if my plan of action would even make sense to a character with low intelligence, much less if they'd come up with it themselves, so if anything Hobgoblin is a race that fits well into any class.
Saving Face is also a great buff to have, as since it's a numerical buff rather than advantage, you're able to hit DCs previously inaccessible to your roll.
But because they aren't as optimized as arguably the best dwarf subrace in the game, they're trash and worse than pretty much any other race.

I actually quite like Hobgobs, but I really don't think their mechanics are all that great, but that's mostly because of 5e quirks. From a purely mechanical standpoint Int is a dumpstat for most classes. Even for roleplaying purposes, just getting a 10 means you're normal. You can be as clever as you can be, because we're all pretty much normal. But Int doesn't mechanically do much anymore. Not like 3.5 where it effected learning skills something that all classes could get some utility out of. As such the game breaks down into classes that completely focus on Int to function: Wizards and Artificer, and classes that can ignore it: everyone else.

Then there's how 5e demonstrates martial power in a race. As JackPhoenix points out, the way 5e has decided to showcase "this race is focused on being a fighter" is to give them proficiencies. Which in theory works, but in practice since all fighting classes already get proficiencies this means that their abilities actually benefit every other class not the one they're supposed to indicate they're trying to nudge the player toward. This is unlike how 5e has chosen to demonstrate magical skill, which is usually to give the race a cantrip. Getting a bonus cantrip is useful to everyone, martial, caster, skillmonkey, everyone gets some benefit from this.

So yeah, Hobgoblins, which are supposed to be the pinnacle fighters of the monster world are kinda generically average at being actual fighters.

In my own game, I've changed this so that if your race and class gives you the same proficiency, you gain +2 damage with those weapons. And that seems to have worked well enough.

Anyway, Kobolds.

What I've done is, I've given my players a choice. They can ignore the Strength penalty, or keep it but gain a +2 to Intelligence or Wisdom. Grovel becomes a Bonus Action. I also sort of removed Light Sensitivity. I never said I did, but neither my player or I have ever brought it up. I'm pretty sure they've forgotten it's on their character sheet.

Nagog
2019-08-27, 10:20 AM
I actually quite like Hobgobs, but I really don't think their mechanics are all that great, but that's mostly because of 5e quirks. From a purely mechanical standpoint Int is a dumpstat for most classes. Even for roleplaying purposes, just getting a 10 means you're normal. You can be as clever as you can be, because we're all pretty much normal. But Int doesn't mechanically do much anymore. Not like 3.5 where it effected learning skills something that all classes could get some utility out of. As such the game breaks down into classes that completely focus on Int to function: Wizards and Artificer, and classes that can ignore it: everyone else.

Then there's how 5e demonstrates martial power in a race. As JackPhoenix points out, the way 5e has decided to showcase "this race is focused on being a fighter" is to give them proficiencies. Which in theory works, but in practice since all fighting classes already get proficiencies this means that their abilities actually benefit every other class not the one they're supposed to indicate they're trying to nudge the player toward. This is unlike how 5e has chosen to demonstrate magical skill, which is usually to give the race a cantrip. Getting a bonus cantrip is useful to everyone, martial, caster, skillmonkey, everyone gets some benefit from this.

So yeah, Hobgoblins, which are supposed to be the pinnacle fighters of the monster world are kinda generically average at being actual fighters.

In my own game, I've changed this so that if your race and class gives you the same proficiency, you gain +2 damage with those weapons. And that seems to have worked well enough.

Anyway, Kobolds.

What I've done is, I've given my players a choice. They can ignore the Strength penalty, or keep it but gain a +2 to Intelligence or Wisdom. Grovel becomes a Bonus Action. I also sort of removed Light Sensitivity. I never said I did, but neither my player or I have ever brought it up. I'm pretty sure they've forgotten it's on their character sheet.

I like the idea of double proficiency, as it likely doesn't come up super often. How would you work the Armor proficiency? I'm considering bumping light to medium, or in the case of the dwarf subrace, give them a buff to how much of a Dex mod can apply while wearing said medium armor? Considering most Medium armor gives disadvantage on stealth and/or grants the same AC as studded leather with high dex due to dex cap, I don't think it will change much unless you have a medium-low dexterity to begin with, which neither Hobgoblin nor any other race that grants light armor have a bonus to (to my knowledge, but I haven't looked through all the elf subraces put out in the MTG books yet so I may be wrong)

But yes, on the topic of Kobolds, I do like that change. Personally I'd remove the penalty, as I don't enjoy having a negative modifier for any stat, even if they are a dump stat, and if I can be rid of it it would be fun and interesting to play a Kobold Str fighter. XD

Protolisk
2019-08-27, 11:43 AM
I think Kobolds are great for the type of shenanigans they pull with traps and the like. Kind of the Underdog feel, but more along the lines of being underestimated and often compared to the much less intelligent Goblins.

Though I used to agree, the 5e monster manual has statistically removed the idea of the Dumb Goblin and Smart Kobold. It's more like Dumb Goblin and Even Dumber Kobold.

Average Kobold is 8 Int, 7 Wis. At the same time, average goblin is 10 Int, 8 Wis. The stronger variants of kobolds do get smarter, up to 8 Int 9 Wis for Dragonshields and 10 Int 9 Wis for scale sorcerers. Kobold inventors, what should be logically the smartest specialized kobold, is still just 8 Int 7 Wis.

Average goblins are somehow smarter than most kobolds, and only the most powerful varieties of kobold are even get an edge at all.

Kobolds are certainly the underdog in any situation, however, and their PC stats are supposed to reflect this. However, I detest the idea of stat penalties on a race when the entire PHB lacks such things for Halflings and the like. If I were to make the kobold more useful, I'd remove the stat negative, and otherwise reflavor Grovel, Cower, and Beg to just be a general distraction, and not "cower pathetically". The sunlight sensitivity is somewhat counteracted by Pack Tactics, so it makes niche builds like heavy weapon wielding Kobolds work because all disadvantage and advantage cancel out. Because of this, I'd either remove sunlight sensitivity, or give them improved darkvision up to 120 feet. I'm surprised they didn't already have this, as Drow did.

MagneticKitty
2019-08-27, 12:49 PM
Use halfling and slap a different name on it?

Have you looked at other editions for inspiration? 4e? 3.5? Pathf?

Gnome is closer, having darkvision and tinkering. (They're trap builders)

There's a lot of fun things you could do with them

I would do

Base:
+2 dex
25 speed
60 darkvision
Common and draconic

Standard:
+1 int
Grovel cower beg
Pack tactics
sunlight sensitivity

dragon tamed:
+1 cha
Matching color and type resistance to a dragon they serve(d)
Choice of damaging cantrip matching your chosen element. This spell uses charisma as your casting modifier

Dragon touched (urd)
Flight 25

dire wereweasel (they were historically dire were weasels in the past, which is neat)
+1 con
Choice of Stealth, intimidation, or perception proficiency
Once per short or long rest you can use a bonus action to transform into a hybrid form for a number of rounds equal to your con modifier, during which you gain resistance to non magical piercing, bludgeoning, and slashing (excluding silvered weapons)

TripleD
2019-08-27, 12:58 PM
3.5ed Races of the Dragon had a great write up on kobolds and some great options.

That was the book that made me fall in love with Kobolds. They were the only low-CR monster that seemed to realize they were a low-CR monster in a world full of high powered adventurers and monsters. Their response? Tunnel down, build a fortress, cram it full of traps, and kill anything that tries to get in.

If anything the book did too good a job of making them sympathetic. The average kobold just wants to work hard and be left alone. There are no Kobold armies sweeping across the globe, or Kobolds plotting with dark powers to unleash an ancient evil. That’s not important to them.

What is important is family. Not the Western-stye nuclear one, all Kobold eggs are placed in a big pile and no one is sure who they are related to (although IIRC pheromones prevent accidental incest) so every other Kobold is brother and sister. The colony is more important than any one individual. Dragons are their mighty cousins, and aiding them is the highest honor one can be chosen for.

Really disappointed most of that got rolled back.

Jophiel
2019-08-27, 02:49 PM
Nord Games has a Kobold PC race in their Ultimate Bestiary: Revenge of the Horde source book.

Dex +2
Int +1
Speed: 30
Superior (120') Darkvision
Dragonkin: Pick one element at creation (fire, cold, acid, lightning, poison). Reduce damage from this by 5 (10 @ 8th level, 15 @ 14th)
Mind Warren: Spend ten days exploring a 5 sq mile area; unable to get lost and know fastest routes
Kobold Cunning: Proficient in Intelligence checks related to precious stones, metals or draconic creatures; double prof. bonuses
Sunlight Sensitivity: Disadvantage on attacks & perception while you or target is in sunlight
Languages: Draconic plus one other. Kobolds speak a pidgin draconic other draconic creatures find irritating.

I've never played it or am advocating for it, just throwing it out there for sake of the topic.

Nagog
2019-08-27, 04:33 PM
Though I used to agree, the 5e monster manual has statistically removed the idea of the Dumb Goblin and Smart Kobold. It's more like Dumb Goblin and Even Dumber Kobold.

Average Kobold is 8 Int, 7 Wis. At the same time, average goblin is 10 Int, 8 Wis. The stronger variants of kobolds do get smarter, up to 8 Int 9 Wis for Dragonshields and 10 Int 9 Wis for scale sorcerers. Kobold inventors, what should be logically the smartest specialized kobold, is still just 8 Int 7 Wis.

Average goblins are somehow smarter than most kobolds, and only the most powerful varieties of kobold are even get an edge at all.

Kobolds are certainly the underdog in any situation, however, and their PC stats are supposed to reflect this. However, I detest the idea of stat penalties on a race when the entire PHB lacks such things for Halflings and the like. If I were to make the kobold more useful, I'd remove the stat negative, and otherwise reflavor Grovel, Cower, and Beg to just be a general distraction, and not "cower pathetically". The sunlight sensitivity is somewhat counteracted by Pack Tactics, so it makes niche builds like heavy weapon wielding Kobolds work because all disadvantage and advantage cancel out. Because of this, I'd either remove sunlight sensitivity, or give them improved darkvision up to 120 feet. I'm surprised they didn't already have this, as Drow did.

Really? Huh. I mean I'm not surprised, 5e does tend to have some... Interesting, discrepancies like that, but I had assumed that because Kobolds had the trap making and semi-tactical mind to use their home turf to their advantage, they'd be smarter, at least to the basic of 10 intelligence. But as enemy races, I guess they're just even worse Cannon fodder than goblins. I'll up that in my home games, as even for level 1 PC's goblins are weak enough.

Bjarkmundur
2019-08-27, 05:15 PM
Alright, I have to step in now. There are so many things that are just not needed. Sure, you can create hundreds of different features that will fit a small reptilian race, but that's not what we're doing. We're making a KOBOLD. Let's make it thematic, flavorful. Let's make features that when used scream I'M A KOBOLD without anyone ever having to ask.

The Kobold only has like six characteristics; vision, traps, negative strength, reptilian, ambushes. If we focus on this, the Kobold will come to life.

Kobold
Vicious, mean, and much smarter than they let you believe. These creatures will do everything it takes to get what they want, except partaking in a fair fight. Although they don't normally get along with other races, a Kobold sees the value of a pack and will create a strong bond to those close to it.
Ability Scores:+2 Dex, +1 Int.
Darkvision
Sunlight Sensitivity
Weak: Count as one size smaller for determining carrying capacity.
Ambusher: In the first round of a combat, you have advantage on attack rolls against any creature you surprised.
Trapmakers: Can set up a rudimentary trap as a part of a short rest. Either a Hunting Trap (https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Hunting%20trap#content) or a trip-wire trap which can, with the use of a rope and a rock, exert up to 10 pounds of force to an object within 15 feet of the wire. This can be used to close a self-locking door, sound an alarm, trigger a crossbow to fire, or empty a strategically placed container of Oil (https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Oil#content) or (more commonly) poisonous snakes (https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Poisonous%20Snake#content).
1 Tool Proficiency
Cold Blooded: Can go without food for twice as long but have disadvantage on ability checks to endure cold weather.

I would love to throw the weasels in here, but there's no real precedent for that kind of feature, so I'll leave it to the player and DM to make this (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6d/71/9e/6d719e10193a239af1ca1d88c4f467f7.jpg)happen.
If your group is all Yuan-Ti and Variant Humans, you should definetly add something more, just to maintain interparty balance. So pick your favourite aspects of the kobold and give it some oomph. The oomph could be removing the sunlight sensitivity, advantage on finding trigger plates and trip-wires or get access to find steed (Weasel) at 3rd level.

Kobolds are noted for their skill at building traps and preparing ambushes.

If they ever confronted an enemy, they would try to overwhelm foes with sheer numbers.[4] Among the monstrous humanoids, they were known for cunning plans...
...The greatest art for kobolds was trapmaking. The use of invention and cunning in traps was the mark of a good trapmaker. The other art form was the pictorial representation of the tribe's history, created on the walls of a specially created room in every lair. Kobolds enjoyed making jewelry from the gems and precious metals they encountered while mining. They could be possessive about their personal jewelry collections, and much effort was put into crafting beautiful jewelry, unlike other items, which were functional rather than aesthetically pleasing...
Due to their cold-blooded nature, kobolds that had spent time in a warm place would not need to eat for days...

Now we just have to decide on how to represent each of these aspects.

Small and weak
Have them Small and count as Tiny for determining carrying capacity. No more of this negative strength bull****.

Ambusher
Easy, we steal the Kenku feature. I wanted something that encourages the player to go out of his way to set up an ambush rather than a feature that makes setting up ambushes easier, such as a stealth bonus while completely still. +5 to attack rolls seems like a big enough carrot that a player will definitely want to set up ambushes whenever he can, especially when paired with a good trapmaking feature

Pack fighter
This is more of a preferred tactic and a byproduct of being small and weak than an actual feature. I mean, how else are you going to get **** done when you can't carry anything heavier than a toenail? Doesn't require a feature. I mean, the player is already a part of a group, so there's nothing that needs to be incentivized. This gives us more design space for other features. If you really want you can add a +1d4 damage once per round if the target is adjacent to 1 or more of your allies. Personally I don't think this feature is thematic enough to warrant showcasing.

Dark-vision and Sunlight Sensitivity
Self explanatory. The sunlight sensitivity is an important part of the kobold, since it's a good tactic to use when fighting them. You don't want to have glaring differences between a NPC and PC of the same race. I'd recommend asking your DM to include sunglasses in your setting's markets.

Trapmakers
Uuummmmm.... We don't have Craft (trapmaking) anymore so we probably need to make something up here. Can generate a rudimentary trap as a part of a short rest. You can create a bear trap or a trip-wire trap. When tripped a rock attached to a rope falls and exerts 10 pounds of force in any direction (basically triggered Mage Hand). This is enough to close doors, empty a bucket of oil or trigger a secondary device.

Good at crafting other stuff too
You gain one tool of your choice.

Don't need to eat when its warm.
You can go without food for twice as long as normal.

Reptiles are pretty screwed in temperatures under 10°, and will eventually hibernate (brumate) after a certain amount of exposure. I don't think that needs to be a feature, but I think it's pretty cool that a Kobold could pull a Captain America if he'd want to.

And people, please stop connecting them to dragons. I know there's a connection, but it really only shows in their culture, not their physiology. They've got nothing draconic about them. Dragons are magnificent, majestic, magical beasts with warm blood. Kobolds are reptiles, non-magical, crude, mean, smell like wet dog and have cold blood.

Bjarkmundur
2019-08-27, 05:55 PM
If anything the book did too good a job of making them sympathetic.

I thought Kobolds were xenophobic, vicious and hell-bent on acquiring more land for themselves. On the Forgotten Realms wiki they are described having the ability to plan attacks across tribes to gain more land and being neutral evil.

SpawnOfMorbo
2019-08-27, 06:10 PM
+2 Dex, +1 Int : Kobolds are lithe and cunning

Darkvision 60ft (duh)

Trapcunning : Ribbon feature akin to Dwarven Stonecunning.

Bonus Proficiency: Thieves Tools

Scrawny: Kobolds can squeeze through any opening that their head will fit without any penalty to their movement.

Kobold Bravery: Kobolds get +2 to all Saving Throws so long as an ally is providing cover from the source of the effect.

Love it. Short, sweet, and simple.

Rebonack
2019-08-27, 07:00 PM
We dropped the -2 Str and Grovel to replace it with

Scrawny: You count as a Tiny creature for the purpose of spacing and squeezing, however you have Disadvantage on Str saves.

Pack Tactics is replaced with

Clever Claws: You can use the Help and Use Object actions as bonus actions.

Sunlight Sensitivity is removed.

TripleD
2019-08-28, 02:01 AM
I thought Kobolds were xenophobic, vicious and hell-bent on acquiring more land for themselves. On the Forgotten Realms wiki they are described having the ability to plan attacks across tribes to gain more land and being neutral evil.

Never read the Forgotten Realms, so I can’t speak to how they are depicted in that setting.

In Races of the Dragon though, they were definitely presented as Xenophobic, if not outright racial supremacists. Basically dragons are the noblest, most powerful creatures in existence, and Kobolds, being connected to that lineage, see other races as lesser for lacking that connection.

Viscous? Kobolds will absolutely murder the hell out of anyone that tries to enter their lair without permission, and the bloodier and more painful a trap the better. In a world of Demi-gods and plunderers though, that may not be an entirely unreasonable foreign policy. Some
small races cower and flee (goblins). Some try to live in the shadow of stronger nations (halflings). Kobolds defend their homes through physical traps and psychological intimidation.

As for acquiring more land, again I don’t know much about Forgotten Realms, but “Races of the Dragon” describes Kobolds as only establishing a new lair under population pressure. Basically when a tribe or nation grew too large for the land to support, they would split in two with one group seeking new lands. It’s not much different than what any other humanoid does, with the caveat that Kobolds, breeding much faster than most races and possessing less-than-nominal respect for other creatures’ land rights, frequently drags them into conflict with other sentient populations.

Outside of that though, Kobolds weren’t described as wanting to conquer or raid anyone (save Gnomes). They just wanted to be left alone, run their mines, and gift dragons with hordes of wealth.

Spacehamster
2019-08-28, 02:12 AM

Kobold moon Druid is about the most powerful you can get, constant advantage since sunlight sensitivity disappears from beast forms. :)

Bjarkmundur
2019-08-28, 03:10 AM
So, who's Kobold did you end up using? :D

Edited my Flavor text to better describe the Kobold, and create a scenario where it works as a part of an adventuring group.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-08-28, 05:22 AM
or... you could play a very short dragonborn?

SpawnOfMorbo
2019-08-28, 05:46 AM
or... you could play a very short dragonborn?

Ehhh... Not a great option.

I think I would take the official kobold first.

Great Dragon
2019-08-28, 01:54 PM
+2 Dex
They can keep the Strength penalty, but gain a +2 to Intelligence or Charisma. (Dienekes)

Darkvision 120ft (sensitivity) (Nagog)

Trapcunning : Ribbon feature akin to Dwarven Stonecunning. (Charles Martel)

Mind Warren: Spend ten days exploring a 5 sq mile area; unable to get lost and know fastest routes (Jophiel)

Kobold Cunning: Proficient in Intelligence checks related to precious stones, metals or draconic creatures; double prof. bonuses
Bonus Proficiency: Tinkers Tools?

Or give them racial access to an elemental damage cantrip, similar to a Dragonborn's breath weapon but, well, smaller.

I’m thinking on giving this as well as Wings to Dragonwrought Kobolds.
But that’s in Ancient Realms (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?591658-Ancient-Realms)

3.5/pathfinder kobolds get natural armor + size bonuses and will generally be able to stack a higher AC than others can. Hard to implement to real benefit in 5e bounded accuracy.

How about a Racial Feat that grants AC 12 + Dex and maybe Dodge as a Bonus Action?

I like the idea of double proficiency, as it likely doesn't come up super often. How would you work the Armor proficiency? I'm considering bumping light to medium, or in the case of the dwarf subrace, give them a buff to how much of a Dex mod can apply while wearing said medium armor? Considering most Medium armor gives disadvantage on stealth and/or grants the same AC as studded leather with high dex due to dex cap, I don't think it will change much unless you have a medium-low dexterity to begin with, which neither

Maybe Double Armor Proficiency negates Disadvantage to Stealth?
That way, Medium Armor Mastery feat still stacks.

I would do

Base:
+2 dex
25 speed
60 darkvision
Common and draconic

Standard:
+1 int
Grovel cower beg
Pack tactics
sunlight sensitivity

dragon tamed:
+1 cha
Matching color and type resistance to a dragon they serve(d)
Choice of damaging cantrip matching your chosen element. This spell uses charisma as your casting modifier

Dragon touched (urd)
Flight 25

Nord Games has a Kobold PC race in their Ultimate Bestiary: Revenge of the Horde source book.

(I'll most likely edit some more thoughts in. Almost game time.)

Charles Martel
2019-08-28, 02:59 PM
Another suggestion I was given:
Kobold
Abilities: +2 Dex, -2 Str
Darkvision 60
Sunlight Sensitivity (As Drow) [Disadvantage on attacks and perception in sunlight]
Base AC = 12 + Dex when not wearing armor. Does not stack with similar abilities.
Languages: Common + Draconic
Choose a Subrace:

Dragonspawn Kobold:
+1 Cha
Free Sorcerer Cantrip (Cha based casting)
Free 2 Metamagic Points
Free Metamagic ability (From Sorcerer list)
Proficiency: Arcana Skill;History Skill

Trapmaster Kobold:
+1 Int
Dirty Fighting: Roll three dice instead of two when you have advantage on attack rolls.
Fast Hands: As Thief 3 (Rogue subclass). [Can use a bonus action to use Dex Sleight of Hand, Thieves tools to disarm a trap or open a lock. or Use an Object]
Proficiency: Stealth Skill;Sleight of Hand Skill;Thieves Tools; Poisoner's Kit

HappyDaze
2019-08-28, 03:17 PM
Another suggestion I was given:
Kobold
Abilities: +2 Dex, -2 Str
Darkvision 60
Sunlight Sensitivity (As Drow) [Disadvantage on attacks and perception in sunlight]
Base AC = 12 + Dex when not wearing armor. Does not stack with similar abilities.
Languages: Common + Draconic
Choose a Subrace:

Dragonspawn Kobold:
+1 Cha
Free Sorcerer Cantrip (Cha based casting)
Free 2 Metamagic Points
Free Metamagic ability (From Sorcerer list)
Proficiency: Arcana Skill;History Skill

Trapmaster Kobold:
+1 Int
Dirty Fighting: Roll three dice instead of two when you have advantage on attack rolls.
Fast Hands: As Thief 3 (Rogue subclass). [Can use a bonus action to use Dex Sleight of Hand, Thieves tools to disarm a trap or open a lock. or Use an Object]
Proficiency: Stealth Skill;Sleight of Hand Skill;Thieves Tools; Poisoner's Kit

Those are both grossly overpowered, but even worse the first is very class-specific (Sorcerer or bust) while the latter is redundant features for Rogues or makes the Rogue feel redundant.

Charles Martel
2019-08-28, 03:36 PM
Those are both grossly overpowered, but even worse the first is very class-specific (Sorcerer or bust) while the latter is redundant features for Rogues or makes the Rogue feel redundant.

The first allows you to apply sorcerer metamagics to non-sorcerer spells, so it works well for any caster.

The second comboes quite well with the rogue archetype that aren't thief. Rogues getting a 3rd die when they have advantage is especially good for them because that's when they'll have sneak attack.

There is no way that these are both 'grossly overpowered'. The base is worth very little (darkvision and sunlight sensitivity being a small plus and small minus, the natural AC being nearly irrelevant, +2 Dex -2 Str), a total of 5 in Detect Balance.

Stone-Ears
2019-08-28, 04:25 PM
The first allows you to apply sorcerer metamagics to non-sorcerer spells, so it works well for any caster.

The second comboes quite well with the rogue archetype that aren't thief. Rogues getting a 3rd die when they have advantage is especially good for them because that's when they'll have sneak attack.

There is no way that these are both 'grossly overpowered'. The base is worth very little (darkvision and sunlight sensitivity being a small plus and small minus, the natural AC being nearly irrelevant, +2 Dex -2 Str), a total of 5 in Detect Balance.

The trapmaster kobold seems like it would be abused really quickly as it is written. 3 dies instead of 2 on advantage attacks would basically more or less guarantee a hit as you can usually get at least one good roll if you have 3 to choose from. This would be overpowered for a flanking fighter with multiple attacks

Charles Martel
2019-08-28, 04:33 PM
The trapmaster kobold seems like it would be abused really quickly as it is written. 3 dies instead of 2 on advantage attacks would basically more or less guarantee a hit as you can usually get at least one good roll if you have 3 to choose from. This would be overpowered for a flanking fighter with multiple attacks

'more or less guarantee a hit' is a cop-out mathematically, and my intuition tells me not at all accurate. My guess is that it would be approximately as good as +3 to hit in the average circumstance where you have advantage.

Also, why does it matter that the fighter is flanking?

HappyDaze
2019-08-28, 04:38 PM
There is no way that these are both 'grossly overpowered'.

I disagree, but I also feel that kobolds are barely appropriate as PCs and if one must be used, the rules already exist and trying to make them more powerful fails to understand the point of kobolds.

Stone-Ears
2019-08-28, 04:52 PM
'more or less guarantee a hit' is a cop-out mathematically, and my intuition tells me not at all accurate. My guess is that it would be approximately as good as +3 to hit in the average circumstance where you have advantage.

Also, why does it matter that the fighter is flanking?

So let's say that we're fighting something with an AC 13.

With 1d20 you have a 40 percent chance to get something of 13 or greater

With 2d20, this goes up to 63%

I don't know the math for 3d20 and taking the max but my assumptions are that this goes up even more.

Below is calculations for probabilities and odds. Here’s a link to a table that goes into more depth on this

https://statmodeling.stat.columbia.edu/2014/07/12/dnd-5e-advantage-disadvantage-probability/

The flanking example is just one way that, at some tables, a fighter might gain advantage to hit

Charles Martel
2019-08-28, 06:34 PM
So let's say that we're fighting something with an AC 13.

With 1d20 you have a 40 percent chance to get something of 13 or greater

With 2d20, this goes up to 63%

I don't know the math for 3d20 and taking the max but my assumptions are that this goes up even more.

Below is calculations for probabilities and odds. Here’s a link to a table that goes into more depth on this

The flanking example is just one way that, at some tables, a fighter might gain advantage to hit

The math comes out to 78%, which is not 'more or less guaranteed'. (input 'output [highest 1 of 3d20]>=13' on anydice)

This race was not designed with your tables' flanking houserules in mind, and I would agree it's not compatible with them.

Tvtyrant
2019-08-28, 06:38 PM

Pack Tactics: When an ally ends their turn adjacent to you, you may move five feet as a reaction.

If that needs to be stronger allow them to do the same when you end up next to them.

Charles Martel
2019-08-28, 06:39 PM
(Also, I'd like to point out Elven accuracy, which is a half-feat that any elf can pick up. 3 dice on advantage is not exactly unprecedented)

Charles Martel
2019-08-28, 06:43 PM
I disagree, but I also feel that kobolds are barely appropriate as PCs and if one must be used, the rules already exist and trying to make them more powerful fails to understand the point of kobolds.

Clearly you've never played one in 3.5 or 4e, both of which had sneakily powerful PC kobold races.

Tvtyrant
2019-08-28, 06:48 PM

The last few editions they were some of the strongest PCs. Not only that, but they are cute by nature of being small, and are scrappy underdogs. One of the issues with D&D PC races is they started out far too human-centric, with a pile of human look alikes such as Gnomes, Halflings, Dwarves, and Elves. Later they added Dragonborn and Warforged, but a Kobold is a far better races then a Gnome IMO (and the OPs' apparently.)

HappyDaze
2019-08-28, 09:04 PM
Clearly you've never played one in 3.5 or 4e, both of which had sneakily powerful PC kobold races.

No, I did not, nor do I regret that choice. I recall kobolds from playing way before those editions, and they are not meant to be individually powerful.

HappyDaze
2019-08-28, 09:05 PM
The last few editions they were some of the strongest PCs. Not only that, but they are cute by nature of being small, and are scrappy underdogs. One of the issues with D&D PC races is they started out far too human-centric, with a pile of human look alikes such as Gnomes, Halflings, Dwarves, and Elves. Later they added Dragonborn and Warforged, but a Kobold is a far better races then a Gnome IMO (and the OPs' apparently.)

Being small does not make something cute, and you can't be an underdog if you're trying to rebuild them to be mechanically powerful. If you want an underdog, what's wrong with the race as given in Volo's?

Charles Martel
2019-08-28, 09:22 PM
you can't be an underdog if you're trying to rebuild them to be mechanically powerful.

This is a very narrow view, and not actually very fun game design to show 'underdog' as 'mechanically underpowered'.

Tawmis
2019-08-28, 09:39 PM

^ This 201%....

Otherwise, why not play a Dwarf? A Halfling?

Because to me, it sounds like you want to play a Kobold, just so that it's different... without the limitations any Kobold you might encounter in D&D works.

EDIT: You could ask to play one of those variations - the Dragonshield or whatever they're called, or the other one with the artificial wings and such.

Great Dragon
2019-08-29, 06:19 AM
I tend to try both sides.

Sure, I'll ponder ways to "improve" Kobolds, but I don't limit doing that to just them. No feedback means I have no clue if Acceptable.

I have my own reasons (mostly as DM) for wanting to either give Kobolds 120' Darkvision or remove Sunlight Sensitivity. (If I convince another DM for my Kobold PC = great)

Now, I didn't get to play a Kobold until 3e.
Even when I did, I never chose Kobold if I intended to play a "powerful Warrior" (-4 Str meant the strongest starting Kobold had a 14 Str, maxed out at 19 with ASIs - which is still amazing to every other Kobold ! and even getting a Manual of Gainful Exercise +5 still capped out at 24 - which is Unbelievably Strong to other Kobolds !)

5e Kobolds (-2 Str) are more powerful when compared to their 3x versions. Even a 16 Str at 1st level is impressive, and only takes 2 ASIs to get to 20. Unless you put an 8 in Str for a whopping 6 total, in which case the PC is most likely Dex based for combat anyway. (Rogue, Ranger, and maybe Monk) Or a Caster with a decent Prime Stat.

(I'm sure it's obvious: If you want 20 Str at 1st level, roll an 18 and pick Mt Dwarf or Half-Orc)

But, yeah. Kobolds weren't really meant to be very impressive as Individuals, but very scary in allied groups. More so even than Goblins.

Upon pondering: With removing the Str penalty, except for some ribbon Racial features, Kobolds tend to blend into the crowd of other Small Races.

Everybody but Gnomes get a Dex bonus, what sets the Kobold apart?
Pact Tactics. That's all that really stands out to me. Which really only works for a group of Kobolds, where one (for each foe) getting into Melee grants Advantage to the entire Group, which usually stays at Ranged.

Sure a Kobold in an Adventuring Party can use this, but unless the DM allows Tactics to be traded for Clever Hands, only the Kobold ever benefits from Pack Tactics. (Which really helps ranged Kobold Rogues - but, other classes still like advantage, though)

Chalkarts
2019-08-29, 12:33 PM
Really disappointed most of that got rolled back.

You and me both.
THat's part of the reason i'm writing a CYOA novel with a Kobold Protagonist.
I feel like Kobolds need more love.

Tvtyrant
2019-08-29, 06:06 PM
Being small does not make something cute, and you can't be an underdog if you're trying to rebuild them to be mechanically powerful. If you want an underdog, what's wrong with the race as given in Volo's?

There is a difference between a mechanical and social underdog. Drizzt was mechanically advantaged and still an underdog, anyone playing a half-Orc in 3.5 was mechanically disadvantaged. They can both be fun but they aren't the same.

Great Dragon
2019-09-05, 07:52 PM
There is a difference between a mechanical and social underdog. Drizzt was mechanically advantaged and still an underdog, anyone playing a half-Orc in 3.5 was mechanically disadvantaged. They can both be fun but they aren't the same.

While that is true, all the monstrous Humanoids (including 1/2 orcs and Tieflings) are in that "social underdog" category. But only Kobolds and Orcs get mechanical negatives, for "reasons".
Sure, it can be kinda fun to RP the mechanical drawbacks, but after awhile I'd like to break free of those, at least for a few PCs.

Tvtyrant
2019-09-05, 08:49 PM
While that is true, all the monstrous Humanoids (including 1/2 orcs and Tieflings) are in that "social underdog" category. But only Kobolds and Orcs get mechanical negatives, for "reasons".
Sure, it can be kinda fun to RP the mechanical drawbacks, but after awhile I'd like to break free of those, at least for a few PCs.

Right, that was the point I was making. If I want to play a social underdog there isn't a reason to make me be mechanically inferior as well unless that is what I want to do.

Great Dragon
2019-09-18, 06:07 AM
Right, that was the point I was making. If I want to play a social underdog there isn't a reason to make me be mechanically inferior as well unless that is what I want to do.

Glad we are on the same page.:wink:

The Player is always free to take an Eight in an Ability or the Criminal Background: and roleplay being the underdog. I don't see any need for an additional Ability penalty.

But, especially with 5e getting rid of all the other Negatives from Races
(Minus 2 Con for Elves - like living in the Wilderness is a walk in the park; and
Minus 2 Cha for Dwarves - like all of them are anti-social to other Races)
Why did they insist that both Kobolds and Orcs get Negatives?

The only reason I can think of is to nerf Players from doing Power-gaming and Munchkin builds.
Where the only thing they care about are the Numbers on their Sheet.