PDA

View Full Version : Help me RP a conquest paladin who is devout to Helm!

Fashionisdanger
2019-08-26, 10:39 AM
My character is a Zariel Tiefling who was taken away from a legion of Bel's Hellknights while still a child a raised by a cleric of Helm who teached to my PG how to fight and use her strength for good.
I would like to become part of Helm church, and protect the weak and the young (as it was done with her) while keeping in check the forces of evil going full Judge Dredd style.
I love mechanically oath of conquest and feel its tenets fitting my PG's personality, but having a bit of trouble connecting them to Helm and reflavouring them for good.

I feel oath of devotion a bit too goody-good for such a morally grey character (albeit not evil) and vengeance... Mechanically uninteresting. Revenge is all about damage, middling CHAR and she is not really driven by the concept of "revenge".

Anyway, any help will be really really appreciated!

Millstone85
2019-08-26, 11:22 AM
Seeing how Helm is lawful neutral and quite the bastard, are you sure that you need to reflavor anything "for good"?

Fashionisdanger
2019-08-26, 11:34 AM
Seeing how Helm is lawful neutral and quite the bastard, are you sure that you need to reflavor anything "for good"?

Could you please elaborate more? I always saw depiction of him as STRICT but not really indulging in terrorizing his enemies brutally.

GlenSmash!
2019-08-26, 11:41 AM
Looks like exactly the background of the Order of the Gilded Eye. There's a good deal about them in Storm King's Thunder.

Grey Watcher
2019-08-26, 11:50 AM
I'd suggest that their idea is essentially "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" combined with "If you must choose between being loved and being feared, choose to be feared (but avoid being hated)." Some "ends justify the means" and some if what TV Tropes calls "Good Is Not Nice."

It's difficult tightrope to walk, but you walk it so others don't have to.

Sigreid
2019-08-26, 11:55 AM
I'd suggest that their idea is essentially "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" combined with "If you must choose between being loved and being feared, choose to be feared (but avoid being hated)." Some "ends justify the means" and some if what TV Tropes calls "Good Is Not Nice."

It's difficult tightrope to walk, but you walk it so others don't have to.

Nice Machiavelli reference.

Millstone85
2019-08-26, 11:59 AM
Could you please elaborate more? I always saw depiction of him as STRICT but not really indulging in terrorizing his enemies brutally.I might be biased in that I first heard of him as the guy who killed Mystra during the Time of Troubles.

And well, SCAG saying that "many consider the faithful of Helm to be inflexible and merciless" does little to change my mind.

Fashionisdanger
2019-08-26, 12:18 PM
I didn't know about this darker side of Helm and especially about the order of the gilded eye. I like also the "thin line" idea very much. This settles all my doubts for good! Merciless pre-emptive strike against the force of evil seems like the way of thinking of my character.

Thank you all!

Callin
2019-08-26, 01:03 PM
Im playing a Hexblade Sorc of Helm who is LG... that dont mean I am nice. He is a protector by any means necissary. A wandering adventurer who has joined up with a group and has claimed them as his charges.

Though I did stop killing a mimic when it yeilded... the monk uses him as a staff now haha.