PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find a monster or NPC that will challenge my players in a specific way.

IsaacsAlterEgo
2019-08-26, 10:57 AM
I am trying to come up up with a boss fight for my players against what is essentially a Judo master. I am trying to find a statblock for some kind of creature that has either Disarm attacks (I'm only aware of the player Battlemaster class, at the moment, which I guess I could just add to an existing NPC or monster block) or attacks that "Throw" creatures, tossing them from one space to another and rendering them prone while dealing some damage. I don't have too much experience with the stat blocks in the monster manual or DMG (and haven't looked much at Mordenkainen's either) so I was hoping someone could point me to something useful?

I was also wondering how one makes a 1v5 battle, with a single human opponent vs. a group of 5 adventurers, at all fair. Do you just add Legendary Resistance to the human opponent, or give them amazing saves? Or legendary actions/reactions to deal with the big imbalance in action economy? Any tips at all would be appreciated, thank you.

nickl_2000
2019-08-26, 11:03 AM
Honestly, it sounds like you would just want to make a custom monster. I'm sure there will be people here who would be willing to help with that.

What CR Monster are you looking for? Or if it would be easier, what level are the PCs, how optimized are they, and how hard do you want the fight to be?

stoutstien
2019-08-26, 11:23 AM
I am trying to come up up with a boss fight for my players against what is essentially a Judo master. I am trying to find a statblock for some kind of creature that has either Disarm attacks (I'm only aware of the player Battlemaster class, at the moment, which I guess I could just add to an existing NPC or monster block) or attacks that "Throw" creatures, tossing them from one space to another and rendering them prone while dealing some damage. I don't have too much experience with the stat blocks in the monster manual or DMG (and haven't looked much at Mordenkainen's either) so I was hoping someone could point me to something useful?

I was also wondering how one makes a 1v5 battle, with a single human opponent vs. a group of 5 adventurers, at all fair. Do you just add Legendary Resistance to the human opponent, or give them amazing saves? Or legendary actions/reactions to deal with the big imbalance in action economy? Any tips at all would be appreciated, thank you.

This is going to be a homebrew. A fun one at that. What lv is the party?

IsaacsAlterEgo
2019-08-26, 12:21 PM
A CR 4-5 would probably be best (as I understand it? The CR system always seems a little off to me) as the group is 4 level 4 PCs. I would say there's one super optimized character (Diviner wizard) and three pretty standard characters (Battlerager Barbarian, Hexblade Warlock, and an Alchemist Artificer). So far they have had a pretty easy time of combats, though. I typically go way too easy on the group, so I kind of want this to be a "make them respect how dangerous combat can be" type of fight. The barbarian is almost never challenged,

My vision for the boss fight is basically the ending fight with The Boss from MGS3, if anyone is familiar with that. This character will be a mentor who taught the group most of what they know, martially speaking, so fighting them should be tough and end up with the party often being knocked on their butts, disarmed and scrambling to recover. I'm just not really sure how to BUILD an encounter like that, and how to make sure it isn't trivialized by some control spells that could end it instantly.