PDA

View Full Version : No Hitpoints Gained on Level Up

Grimmnist
2019-08-26, 12:49 PM
Hypothetically let's say I rolled a PC with 3 Con and with d6 hit dice. On level up the character would gain 4 (avg of d6) - 4 (Con mod) HP, so 0. Is there a floor of 1 for hit point gains sort of like how it works with damage or would this just be a 2 HP character forever.

Follow up question, do you think that would stop my DM from using Fireball because he would feel bad?

clash
2019-08-26, 12:52 PM
There is no minimum of 1 on level up or even 0. If the aforementioned character decided to roll to try to gain hp on level up and rolled a 1 they could in fact lose max hp on level up.
see https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/938885709783384064?lang=en for reference

Grimmnist
2019-08-26, 12:54 PM
There is no minimum of 1 on level up or even 0. If the aforementioned character decided to roll to try to gain hp on level up and rolled a 1 they could in fact lose max hp on level up.
see https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/938885709783384064?lang=en for reference

So it is possible to die by leveling up if your max HP reaches 0 from losing? I find this very amusing.

Nagog
2019-08-26, 12:56 PM
I always wondered this as well, if I could create a character so unbelievably un-constituted that they could level themselves to perma-death (Revival spells would revive them with their stats before time of death, so still 0 or negative HP).

clash
2019-08-26, 12:57 PM
Which makes sense. If you have con of 3 you are a very fragile weak and sickly person you just eventually dies.

Grimmnist
2019-08-26, 12:58 PM
Basically you would constantly require a cleric to be casting Aid. SO technically not unplayable lol

LudicSavant
2019-08-26, 01:18 PM
Uh, guys? Errata of November 2018:

[New] Beyond 1st Level (p. 15). In the first sentence of the third paragraph, “add the total” is now “add the total (mini-mum of 1).”

So yes, there is a minimum and no, you can't lose hit points on levelup.

Grimmnist
2019-08-26, 01:34 PM
Uh, guys? Errata of November 2018:

So yes, there is a minimum and no, you can't lose hit points on levelup.

Awww, you're no fun... thanks for looking this up. Not too surprising an Errata.

Laserlight
2019-08-26, 02:28 PM
To answer your question about Fireball: you chose a CON3, you get a Fireball like everyone else.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-08-26, 02:42 PM
It's probably a moot point; you'll be dead long before you hit second level.

nickl_2000
2019-08-26, 02:45 PM
The question is raised though.

Why would someone so sickly and weak be interested in becoming an adventurer, a profession where death is common amongst the hale and hearty?

clash
2019-08-26, 02:49 PM

Why would someone so sickly and weak be interested in becoming an adventurer, a profession where death is common amongst the hale and hearty?

Could be they had no choice. There is at least a few official modules where you wouldnt have to be an adventurer to be forced into the scenario.

Grimmnist
2019-08-26, 03:39 PM

Being so weak throughout life would be very difficult, maybe they want to get a magic item to boost their Con (Amulet of Health). That is something they wouldn't be able to get through their daily life and while the odds of success are low it might be worth it to this character.

Arkhios
2019-08-26, 10:55 PM

Raistlin Majere was very sickly and weak, and he became a God.

Kane0
2019-08-27, 12:05 AM
The same reason any mage wearing what is essentially pajamas would consider it; they believe they are the exception and won't be at risk

Tawmis
2019-08-27, 12:06 AM

You beat me to the punch. I decided to read the whole thread before replying - because I figured someone was going to cite one of the greatest mages who ascended to godhood.
https://i2.wp.com/non-productive.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/raistlin-majere.jpg?fit=237%2C400&ssl=1

nickl_2000
2019-08-27, 06:50 AM

The same reason any mage wearing what is essentially pajamas would consider it; they believe they are the exception and won't be at risk

You beat me to the punch. I decided to read the whole thread before replying - because I figured someone was going to cite one of the greatest mages who ascended to godhood.
https://i2.wp.com/non-productive.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/raistlin-majere.jpg?fit=237%2C400&ssl=1

Oh sure, make a logical point with some evidence to back it up. This is the internet darn it, we make wild claims with no supporting evidence whatsoever!

That being said, Raistlin really tend to be the exception rather than the rule.

Gignere
2019-08-27, 07:33 PM
To answer your question about Fireball: you chose a CON3, you get a Fireball like everyone else.

I played a God wizard didn’t even lose my first point of HPs until level 3 and that’s only because someone else totally screwed the pooch when it came to tactics. After that didn’t lose another point of hp until level 7. The running joke in the game was that I didn’t even know I had an hps or even AC stat.

Kane0
2019-08-27, 07:41 PM
I played a God wizard didn’t even lose my first point of HPs until level 3 and that’s only because someone else totally screwed the pooch when it came to tactics. After that didn’t lose another point of hp until level 7. The running joke in the game was that I didn’t even know I had an hps or even AC stat.

Reminds me of when I played a PF Arcanist. My AC was 'you hit' from levels 5 to 18, positioning and THP was what kept me alive. Still died twice, but diamonds are cheap when you run a kingdom.

TripleD
2019-08-27, 09:06 PM

Same reason people with terminal cancer go skydiving and swim with sharks. Probably not going to last long (one bad CON roll away from succumbing to disease) might as well get in some mind blowing action before checking out.

Gignere
2019-08-27, 09:35 PM

The very sickly was taken with some literary interpretation, Raistlin stats when published was 10 con. So even someone written up as sickly had 10 con. This was based on a real PC so I still give him props for playing a 10 con wizard when a wizard had d4 hit die.

Arkhios
2019-08-27, 10:40 PM
The very sickly was taken with some literary interpretation, Raistlin stats when published was 10 con. So even someone written up as sickly had 10 con. This was based on a real PC so I still give him props for playing a 10 con wizard when a wizard had d4 hit die.

I'm pretty certain there's no absolute rule for what "very sickly and weak" must refer to (statwise). It's subject to interpretation anyway. It's just words with no mechanical value.

Safety Sword
2019-08-30, 05:26 AM
That being said, Raistlin really tend to be the exception rather than the rule.

It really didn't work out that well for him in the end in any case.

Although... I guess it took at least a couple of tries to not let him destroy the entire universe...

"It's complicated"