PDA

View Full Version : Conquest Paladin finalization

Fashionisdanger
2019-08-26, 03:44 PM
So, thanks to your great advice I sorted my lore doubts and made my level 5 conquest paladin.
Given the discussion about tanks happening in this forum right now I am undecided about my fighting style. Here you are my character sheet for reference:
https://ddb.ac/characters/8430234/kSrUZp

I took defence because we are going to be only TWO characters, at least for now, and the other one is a bow goblin horizon walker ranger. My idea is to have high AC to avoid concentration rolls and survive more but..... Will 21 AC be a bit too much? I might go for the great weapon style to try spice things up, or drop my CON to 13 waiting for resilient and be more well rounded character (maybe with a better INT or WIS).

What is your take on this?

firelistener
2019-08-30, 12:00 AM
AC is good, and as a paladin you can always up your damage with smite if you need to drop something fast. Conquest gives you some great utilty for redirecting enemies in battle, so I'd say your character looks pretty solid. Your biggest threat is going to be spells with Int and Wis saves, but such is the way of most martial characters. A +1 is really only gonna help you 5% of the time, so arguably not worth the investment since you'll make and take attacks much more often than spell saves (usually). You could swap things up the ways you suggested and also be fine, so I suggest you just do whatever you think makes an interesting character you want to role play.

Sception
2019-08-30, 03:13 AM
too tired for long winded explanations right now, but defence or dueling is good for conqueror. Great weapon style is underwhelming unless your dm rules it to apply to smite dice, which it typically doesn't, since the only two handed weapon you should really consider is a halberd/glaive.

I personally recommend defence. You have other tools to lure enemy attacks - personal threat, opp attack threat, concentration spells, compelled duel, eventually, of course, aura of conquest. If you're human, might be worth nabbing sentinel as your bonus feat, though resilient con is a very strong alternative. Otherwise, might consider single level hexblade dip followed by warcaster for opp attack booming blade.