PDA

View Full Version : [Vestige] "What does it mean to unite with The Archduke..."

Jaerc
2007-10-12, 05:43 PM
Ankou, Archduke of Souls
This once-lord of souls, smiles on those who would defy the gods. This shepard grants the binder the ability to dance the line between life and death, reave apart itself magic itself, and resist those who would control him.

http://www.dotradical.net//jaerc/ankousseal.jpg

Legend
Little is know of this Faerie psychopomp, even to those who would study or bind him. The libraries of the Cosmos seem shorn of any information they once held and The Courts themselves are silent on the matter. Ancient tomes say that Ankou was a powerful member of the Unseelie Court and saw to guiding spirits that others would seem lesser, the vermin, plants, and animals to Landinion for their afterlife. He knew that they did not belong on the ill named Beastlands, returned to the Cornerstones, nor in the grasp of pretender Powers. So, too did this master of death bring fey and those chosen mortals to the elfin land. And so for all the ages of the Comsos, Anknou held his ancient duty. But not without antagonizing many.

It is well known that the Divine and the Faerie clash, but the antagonism witnessed there was but a sampling of Ankou's enemies. Nether lords, Dukes of Hell, Yaldabaoth kings, Princes of the Sarim, and Defenders of the Holy alike despised he who would lay claim to their souls. A decade ago one champion arose, wreathed in tattered shadows and tore a void through the ranks of The Shepherds until he came to Ankou. Unlike the battles of epic tales, this conflict was over in an instant. Nothing remained of the Archduke save dark steam and darker blood.

But such a being does not swiftly fade from the Cosmos and recently binders have found Anknou's vestige, and he appears quite eager enable others to seek their vengeance even whilst he cannot seek his own.

Manifestation
A powerful gust of frigid wind begins to blow when the seal is finished. A shadow appears, cast from nowhere and from it ascends a night-black steam. As the wind howls the sound of heavy hooffalls rings out from the effervescent darkness. At once all sounds cease and a figure rises from the from the seal, his form scattering the mist. The profile revealed of a gaunt man in black, silver lined robes, face concealed both by a heavy hood and large tipped hat appears. He leans heavily on an ebony shepherds crook and turns to face the binder for a full minute. When at last he speaks the voice is a slow, strained whisper.

Vestige Level 8
Binding DC 38
Sign No matter what sort of environment you roam in, a faint shadow is cast on your face. Additionally, your appearance becomes attenuated and underfed.
Influence Ankou's influence makes you feel superior to others but with comes with hollow emotion of an ever present loss. You see death at every turn, yet are fatalistically at peace with it.
Special Requirement You must draw Ankou's seal on the Mortal Coil and must not be a worshiper of a divine or cosmic entity unless it is of Faerie.

Granted Abilities Ankou grants binders his perception and control over death, the spiritual resolve to resist the Cosmic and the physical, and the ability to tear apart magic

Their Eyes Were On The Grave (Su) As a swift action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity you may activate this ability, which lasts for the duration of the encounter. You can sense dying creatures, creatures soon to be born or die of old age (within the next 24 hours), creatures which have died within the last 24 hours, incorporeal creatures, and disembodied souls at a range of 30 feet. This sense does not pinpoint a creature. You can constantly discern of the health of those he can sense as if through deathwatch. If you concentrate for one full round, you may extend this sense out to 120 feet.

Resilient Soul Of The Wealds You are granted a +4 bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting effects, alignment-based effects, and effects which would imprison or banish you. Additionally you gain DR 10/cold iron.

Reaver Of The Weave Intoning a dread incantation as a standard action in the Asidhelalialey tongue you gain the ability to duplicate the effects of greater dispel magic/i] or [i]greater shadow evocation. Additionally for any spell or item you have successfully dispelled you gain knowledge as if you had cast analyze dweomer upon it or had succeeded on a Spellcraft check DC 31. After using reaver of the weave you cannot use this ability again for 5 rounds.

Transcend The Turning Wheel Your body and soul seem to form one unit, a unit that is not eager to pass on. Immediately after you have died you return to life as if by the spell raise dead except you suffer no level, Constitution, or spell loss. You may only use this ability once per binding of Ankou and it requires a 250 XP expenditure on your part to activate.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-12, 06:06 PM
Reaver of the Weave: does it, or does it not give you the ability to cast a spell?

Jaerc
2007-10-12, 06:51 PM
I believe I fixed the wording to clarify.

Kai-Palin
2007-10-12, 08:30 PM
I don't know, but the Transcend The Turning Wheel seems a bit overpowered. Only 250 XP to guard yourself from death until you die, at which point you have to wait another day, then you can do it all over again? The only other class I know of that has an ability like this is the Spirit Shaman, but their ability costs considerably more in XP. And they don't get until ~17th or 19th level, whereas the binder can bind this vestige at which level? Just my two cents, I like the idea in general. Perhaps something that makes them immune to mind-affecting effects?

Jaerc
2007-10-12, 09:23 PM
It's basically equivalent to a contingent revivify, which is equivalent to 290 XP, I opted for the lower total since I feel that using a cool ability should never be penalized in that fashion. Also a binder could bind Ankou at 17th level, two levels lower than a Spirit Shaman gets Favoured of the Spirits (which grants a heal through a ritual, that fucntions even if you go past -10 hp) :smallwink:.