PDA

View Full Version : maxing out turn level with cleric level 1..

animewatcha
2019-08-26, 06:41 PM
Say I would do to cleric 1 / mindblade 19. Class levels non-negotiable and prestige classes are no ( unless somehow they can advance both mindblade AND turning check ). This question gears toward powering the Frenzied hunt dragon mag feat with only 1 level of cleric. What items, feats, etc. from Online archive, dragon magazine, compendium, or even the vast number of books would allow for maxing out the turning level for maximum rounds of Frenzied Hunt with only 1 level of cleric.

Saintheart
2019-08-26, 07:03 PM
- Not related, but Sacred Outlaw (Dragon) makes Rogue and Cleric levels stack for sneak attack and turn undead increases.

Take a look at this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?141266-3-5-Turn-Undead-Optimization).

- Circlet of Persuasion: +3 to CHA-based checks, of which Turn Undead is one.
- Heighten Turning feat
- Empower Turning feat
- Cloak of Charisma
- Ephod of Authority +1 MIC (back in the sets)
- Phylactery of Undead Turning +4 DMG
- Sacred armor/shield enhancement +2 each A&EG
- Rod of Defiance +4 Libris Mortis
- Lyre of the Restful Soul +4 Libris Mortis

etc.

Biggus
2019-08-26, 08:06 PM
- Empower Turning feat
- Rod of Defiance +4 Libris Mortis
- Lyre of the Restful Soul +4 Libris Mortis

By my reading of Frenzied Hunt, none of these help with it. You're not actually trying to turn undead and you don't roll for turning damage: you just make a turning check.

- Heighten Turning feat

While this could arguably work by RAW, I doubt many DMs would allow it to. And even if they did, you'd be spending a feat for just a +1 bonus.

- Circlet of Persuasion: +3 to CHA-based checks, of which Turn Undead is one.
- Cloak of Charisma
- Ephod of Authority +1 MIC (back in the sets)
- Sacred armor/shield enhancement +2 each A&EG
- Phylactery of Undead Turning +4 DMG

These do work though.

Other things that increase turning check:

Glory domain (SpC p.274) +2
Illumian with vaul sigil (RoD p.54) +1, increases to +2
True Holy Symbol (PlH p.71) +2 (500GP)
Admiral's Bicorne +5 (SW p.131) (51,000GP)
Marshal using motivate Charisma (MH p.13)

Also anything which increases your Charisma: there's a list here (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=176.0).

And anything which increases ability checks generally:

Stone of Good Luck +1 (20,000GP)
Pale Green Prism Ioun Stone +1 (30,000GP)
Good Hope +2 (Bard spell)

animewatcha
2019-08-26, 10:33 PM
Thank you for the multitude of things for maxing out the turning check and good chance at the +3 effective turning level from said check. Now what about effective turning level like with the sacred enchantments ( I think that they were updated in another book to only provide +1 turning level each )?

Biggus
2019-08-27, 09:04 AM
Thank you for the multitude of things for maxing out the turning check and good chance at the +3 effective turning level from said check. Now what about effective turning level like with the sacred enchantments ( I think that they were updated in another book to only provide +1 turning level each )?

The only other book I can find the Sacred enchantments in is BoED and they're still +2 in there.

I don't know of any other items which increase your effective turning level other than those listed: the Ephod of Authority and the Phylactery of Undead Turning. The good news is though, as they all provide unnamed bonuses, they should stack for a total of +7 (or +9 if the DM allows a Sacred armor and shield to stack with each other).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-08-27, 10:34 AM
For reference, Frenzied Hunt is in Dragon 342, page 89.

Consider getting the ability to cast 2nd level Druid spells and use Bone Talisman (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a) with that feat. Your effective Cleric level when using those matches your caster level when Bone Talisman was cast, and all the other items that boost your effective Cleric level for turning undead will still be added onto it. You can put Unguent of Timelessness on the bones used as the spell focus so it will last 365 times longer than normal, and use a Lesser Rod of Extend, since those can be reused indefinitely. Thread those onto a loop of string to easily keep track of which ones have the least remaining duration, and which have the longest remaining duration. You can have a ton of those cast ahead of time between adventures, and replenish some of the ones you've used at the end of each day (and move those around the loop to the side with the most duration).

Consider taking two or three levels of Soulbow (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060403a&page=2), which directly benefits your Mindblade enhancement bonus and gives you the ability to make powerful ranged attacks. Get Lucky for your Mind Arrow Enhancement, and each shot you make will have a chance to reroll the attack if it misses.

Biggus
2019-08-27, 10:29 PM
Oh yeah, one I forgot, Nymph's Kiss feat (BoED p.44) +2 (circumstance) to Charisma checks

animewatcha
2019-08-27, 11:56 PM
For reference, Frenzied Hunt is in Dragon 342, page 89.

Consider getting the ability to cast 2nd level Druid spells and use Bone Talisman (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a) with that feat. Your effective Cleric level when using those matches your caster level when Bone Talisman was cast, and all the other items that boost your effective Cleric level for turning undead will still be added onto it. You can put Unguent of Timelessness on the bones used as the spell focus so it will last 365 times longer than normal, and use a Lesser Rod of Extend, since those can be reused indefinitely. Thread those onto a loop of string to easily keep track of which ones have the least remaining duration, and which have the longest remaining duration. You can have a ton of those cast ahead of time between adventures, and replenish some of the ones you've used at the end of each day (and move those around the loop to the side with the most duration).

Consider taking two or three levels of Soulbow (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060403a&page=2), which directly benefits your Mindblade enhancement bonus and gives you the ability to make powerful ranged attacks. Get Lucky for your Mind Arrow Enhancement, and each shot you make will have a chance to reroll the attack if it misses.

Soulbow seem to read that feats that work for mindblade also work for mind arrow too, right? Does this mean that practiced Mind blade double dips for +4 to mindblade ( soulknife ) and +4 to mind arrow ( soulbow and jumping it to +2 enhancement bonus )?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-08-28, 12:38 AM
Soulbow seem to read that feats that work for mindblade also work for mind arrow too, right? Does this mean that practiced Mind blade double dips for +4 to mindblade ( soulknife ) and +4 to mind arrow ( soulbow and jumping it to +2 enhancement bonus )?

I think that means feats for which you specify a specific weapon, like Weapon Specialization or Improved Critical. However, it's definitely worth asking your DM!

Mato
2019-08-28, 08:55 AM
Say I would do to cleric 1 / mindblade 19. Class levels non-negotiable.That's a shame.

You could replace the level of cleric with the shroudcrownPGtF, it's expensive but it gives you turn undead as if you were a 10th level cleric.