PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Wizard Homebrew: Arcane Tradition, Eldritch Arcanum

StagnantFlux
2019-08-27, 01:37 AM
So, I started thinking about if Wizards spent time studying other casters and developing schools of magic on them. It makes sense story-wise to me, as Wizards want to understand magic, including the less common types. So, I built an Arcane Tradition for Wizards who geek out over Warlocks.

Arcane Tradition: Eldritch Arcanum
On occasion a Wizard will find themselves fascinated with forms of magic less "acceptable" in academic society. Some study the magic of Warlocks in an attempt to understand a power less studied. Some even unlock a semblance of that power for themselves.

Arcanum Obscurum
Beginning when you select this tradition at 2nd Level, you are able to learn Warlock spells. Your spellcasting ability for these spells remains intelligence.

Gifted Knowledge
At 2nd level, choose an Otherworldly Patron to focus your studies on. Whenever you unlock a spell level you may automatically select a spell of that level from that patrons expanded spell list and add it to your spell book. When you gain this ability you may also select a 1st level spell from the same list.

Studied Invocation
At 6th level, you may choose one invocation from the list of Warlock Eldritch Invocations. You must meet the prerequisites for the invocation. You may change your invocation each time you gain a level. The number of invocations you know goes up by one at 10th, 14th and 18th levels.

Pact Study
Your study of Warlocks gives you study of each of the pacts, in time.

At 10th level, you study the Pact of the Chain. You learn the Find Familiar spell and can cast it as a ritual. The spell doesn’t count against your number of Spells known. When you cast the spell, you can choose one of the normal forms for your familiar or one of the following Special forms: imp, Pseudodragon, Quasit, or Sprite. Additionally, when you take the Attack action, you can forgo one of your own attacks to allow your familiar to make one Attack of its own with its Reaction. This new familiar can stack with a previous Wizard familiar.

at 14th level you study the Pact of the Blade. A number of times a day equal to your Intelligence modifier, you may cast Eldritch Weapon. This acts as Clerics Spiritual Weapon, though on a hit deals 2d8 force damage.

At 18th level you study the Pact of the Tome. Upon a long rest you may prepare a single spell of any level, from any spell list. Once this spell is cast, you may not regain this it until you take a long rest.

Eldritch Guidance
At 14th level, you may use an action to activate this ability to let your patron guide your magic. For ten minutes you may double your proficiency bonus on warlock spells for the purpose of attack rolls and spell saves. This ability is only available once per long rest.

-----

I am still fairly new to homebrewing in 5e, so I'm still working on my balance. I am hoping to improve, and would appreciate any advice you can give. Thank you for your time.

JNAProductions
2019-08-27, 08:39 AM
Adding access to an entire (if small) spell list to the already great Wizard list? Feels a little much.

A few extra spells in your book, though, is fine.

Getting four Invocations, though... That feels a little much.

Pact Study should let you pick ONE pact, not all three. And the Tome version is way too good.

Eldritch Guidance... Hold Person is a Warlock spell.

At level 14, you almost certainly have 20 Int, and also have +5 Proficiency. Do you want to be making a DC 23 save against paralysis? I certainly don't. In other words, Eldritch Guidance is insanely OP.

Overall, it's above the curve. I'd cut access to the entire Warlock list, reduce the number of Invocations available, drop it to picking one Pact (and fix Tome), and completely rework Guidance.

StagnantFlux
2019-08-27, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll scale it back as soon as I get a chance. My last version of it was way too weak, so I guess I just upped the oomf a little too much. It's gonna take some time, but I'll get there.

lionessrampant
2019-08-27, 02:40 PM
I’m not an expert in balancing homebrew but I am in love with this concept!

BerzerkerUnit
2019-08-28, 07:46 AM
You could limit # of warlock spells known to Int bonus and allow them to be swapped out as you level like a Sorc would. I’d leave patron spells where they are.

I would downshift the Pact knowledge to 6 and allow you to learn one Invocation associated with the Pact. That keeps a lot of warlock bread and butter in the warlock’s lane (devilsight, agonizing blast, etc) but niche abilities like Voice of the Chain Master or the one that lets you immune to sleep are open. It would also open the door for a little gish backup if you take thirsting Blade.

I agree Eldritch Guidance needs a tweak. 1/rest or Int Bonus/day disadvantage on target saving throw as you invite the corruptive influences of some patron into a spell feels okay.

Good luck!

StagnantFlux
2019-08-28, 08:12 PM
Here's an updated version, hopefully better balanced.

Arcane Tradition: Eldritch Arcanum
On occasion a Wizard will find themselves fascinated with forms of magic less "acceptable" in academic society. Some study the magic of Warlocks in an attempt to understand a power less studied. Some even unlock a semblance of that power for themselves.

Arcanum Obscurum
Beginning when you select this tradition at 2nd Level, you are able to learn Warlock spells. Your spellcasting ability for these spells remains intelligence.

Gifted Knowledge
At 2nd level, choose an Otherworldly Patron to focus your studies on. Whenever you unlock a spell level you may automatically select a spell of that level from that patrons expanded spell list and add it to your spell book. When you gain this ability you may also select a 1st level spell from the same list.

Studied Invocation
At 6th level, you may choose one invocation from the list of Warlock Eldritch Invocations. You must meet the prerequisites for the invocation. You may change your invocation each time you gain a level. The number of invocations you know goes up by one at 10th, 14th and 18th levels.

Pact Study
At 10th level, you focus your studies even more closely. Choosing a single pact to study, you gain one of the following benefits.

If you select Pact of the Chain. You learn the Find Familiar spell and can cast it as a ritual. The spell doesn’t count against your number of Spells known. When you cast the spell, you can choose one of the normal forms for your familiar or one of the following Special forms: imp, Pseudodragon, Quasit, or Sprite. Additionally, when you take the Attack action, you can forgo one of your own attacks to allow your familiar to make one Attack of its own with its Reaction. This new familiar can stack with a previous Wizard familiar.

If you study the Pact of the Blade. A number of times a day equal to your Intelligence modifier, you may cast Eldritch Weapon. This acts as Clerics Spiritual Weapon, though on a hit deals 2d8 force damage.

If you study the Pact of the Tome. Upon a long rest you may prepare a single spell of a level available to half your wizard level or lower, from any spell list. Once this spell is cast, you may not regain it until you take a long rest.

Eldritch Guidance
At 14th level, you may use an action to activate this ability to let your patron guide your magic. A number of times a day equal to your intelligence modifier, you may take advantage on a spell attack to a warlock spell, or impose disadvantage on a spell save to a warlock spell.

JNAProductions
2019-08-28, 08:27 PM
No to having two familiars.

Pact of the Tome needs to have a 5th level max-I'd just say any one spell of 5th level or lower. And even THAT is probably too good.

And I still think that's too many invocations.

StagnantFlux
2019-08-28, 11:18 PM
Alright, I'll work on the invocations and the tome. What would you suggest to replace Pact of the Chain, because if a Wizard wanted a familiar, they would have it long before level 10. Having it stack with the typical familiar was the only way I could think to make it worth it.

JNAProductions
2019-08-29, 05:29 AM
Alright, I'll work on the invocations and the tome. What would you suggest to replace Pact of the Chain, because if a Wizard wanted a familiar, they would have it long before level 10. Having it stack with the typical familiar was the only way I could think to make it worth it.

Perhaps allow slightly stronger familiars? I don't want to overshadow the actual Chainlocks, but maybe up to CR 2 familiars? (From a set list, of course-not just ANY CR 2 creature.)

Segev
2019-08-29, 09:30 AM
Honestly, I think getting an Eldritch Invocation at levels 6 and 10 would be more than sufficient for those levels' bonuses. I don't like the idea of giving the Wizard a Pact, at all. It's rather firmly the Big Thing for Warlocks. Alternatively, give them the level 1 Patron feature at level 6, and an Invocation at level 10.

Further, studying a Patron and taking a Patron are two different things; taking a Patron and having him give you boons is really a Warlock thing. Being a Wizard who's studying one, you aren't going to get "guidance." You can take power from it, but you can't get "taught" things, or "guidance." I suggest, therefore, as an alternative, that you learn the basics of "Pact Magic," and gain a bonus 5th level spell slot which refreshes with every short rest at level 14.

On the other hand, this seems a lot less exciting when I make these suggestions, which is a huge strike against them. But you've got to be very careful in building "multiclass" subclasses not to make it cherry pick all the best stuff from the other class and make the subclass feel like a better version of the class it's "borrowing" from.