PDA

View Full Version : Best spells to give your familiar via Ring of Spell Storing?

Greywander
2019-08-27, 05:02 AM
If you're giving your familiar a Ring of Spell Storing, what spells would you want to put in it? I can see two categories for spells you'd want:

Spells that require concentration. Concentration is one of the more limiting factors in 5e spellcasting, so being able to pass on concentration to someone else so you can get another spell up is pretty handy. Since you have to pre-cast the spell into the ring beforehand, you'll probably want to stick with solid spells you know you'll probably want. Bless, Shield of Faith, Protection from Evil and Good, Enhance Ability, Enlarge/Reduce, Invisibility, Fly, Haste, and so on. Probably better to stick to buff and control spells and avoid debuff spells, since your familiar likely won't have a very good spell save DC.

Spells you need cast in an emergency. Healing spells in particular come to mind. Revivify, Greater Restoration, Healing Word, and such. Basically, something has gone wrong, and you need someone to bail you out. The three spells I just listed might be sufficient; if the cleric goes down and the party is in a bad way, then hopefully you just need your familiar to get the cleric back up. Generally, if there's something you need and you can't get it, it's because the person that normally does it is out of action, so you just need to get them back into the action.

Bonus question: What other magic items would be good to give to a familiar? Aside from more Rings of Spell Storing, that is.

Snowbluff
2019-08-27, 08:02 AM
I still like Warding Bond combined with giving your familiar an HP stat (Aid, Inspiring Leader, etc). The old Share Pain/Vigor/Psicrystal Trick but for a new era. Plus you get more AC and Saves.

Haste is definitely one I agree with, however. I'm doing that on Dejavu Lightning Dust, Tabaxi ~~moonsugarcat~~ Rogue/Transmuter. :smalltongue:

Other items to look at would be wands, which often have a fixed DC, IIRC.

RickAllison
2019-08-27, 08:09 AM
My Lore Wizard set up his owl familiar with Spritual Guardians. The owl’s personality was heavily based on Mr. Zurkon from Ratchet and Clank series. The party started requesting leaving him out of the telepathic bond because it was disturbing how much he liked killing things.

NaughtyTiger
2019-08-27, 08:22 AM
5th level false life?
5th level agythus?

MagneticKitty
2019-08-27, 02:51 PM
" Probably better to stick to buff and control spells and avoid debuff spells, since your familiar likely won't have a very good spell save DC."

Um, actually
The ring of spell storing always uses the dc of the person who put the spell in the ring

Reynaerde
2019-08-28, 04:41 AM
" Probably better to stick to buff and control spells and avoid debuff spells, since your familiar likely won't have a very good spell save DC."

Um, actually
The ring of spell storing always uses the dc of the person who put the spell in the ringAnd talking about debuff spells: Bane is great in a party that is heavy on spells that require saves, as they probably won't have a concentration slot open themselves, but they sure appreciate that -1d4 on the enemies' saves!