PDA

View Full Version : Ways to get resistance to spell damage?

Greywander
2019-08-27, 06:08 AM
The only two I'm aware of are the Ancients paladin (Aura of Warding) and Abjuration wizard (Spell Resistance). I thought for sure there's be a magic item for it, as there are a number of magic items that give advantage on saves versus spells (or magic).

I mean, sure, you could just stack up resistance to each damage type individually, but that's easier said than done.

Contrast
2019-08-27, 07:01 AM
but that's easier said than done.

As is gaining resistance to all spell damage as you've discovered. :smallbiggrin:

There's a wild magic surge that just gives resistance to everything. Warding Bond if you count that.

Bearbarians get everything except psychic and really how many spells are there that do psychic damage.*

You may find this (https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/9w5ho5/im_compiling_a_list_of_all_sources_of_resistance/) useful.

*Edit - I checked. There are a total of 18 (and one of those is Contact Other Plane and would be self inflicted). I also noticed Mind Blank makes you immune to psychic damage for 24 hours so bearbarians with a friendly bard or wizard I guess :smallwink:

Aett_Thorn
2019-08-27, 07:22 AM
Tiefling Storm Sorcs can come pretty close as well, especially if they pick up Infernal Constitution. Resistance to Fire, Thunder, Lightning, Cold, and Poison by level 6.

Still weak to weapon attacks, but that’ll cover the bulk of magic damage.