PDA

View Full Version : Podcast recommendations for actual game play

Adar
2019-08-27, 09:06 AM
I’ve been asked to DM a 5e game. In practical terms, I am returning to D&D after a nearly 20 year hiatus. I’ve listened to The Dungeoncast for great factual information, and The Adventurezone for entertainment. What podcasts would you recommend for listening to straight up RAW gameplay?

pragma
2019-08-27, 10:19 AM
This is a fairly RAW-adherent example of an intrigue campaign: https://carrotsandsuffering.podiant.co . Intrigue campaigns are rare, and raw-adherent ones are rarer, so this could be a gem for you. However, lots of the die-rolling and ability use in combat gets edited out, so you may get limited mileage from that. Production values are middling, but I think the GM has done a particularly good job of world-building.

Adar
2019-08-27, 09:27 PM
Thanks for this. I will give it a listen. Variety is good, given that I’m basically looking to be a fly on the wall to see how other DMs do their job.

Vogie
2019-08-28, 02:29 PM
Greetings, Adventurers (previously called Drunks & Dragons) is pretty good in a homebrew setting. You'd have to look up where they switch to 5th edition, because they've been running the similar-ish campaign through 3.5 and 4e.

Arcs is pretty tight to RAW as far as I can tell.

The Chain of Acheron (Although the Podcast seems to be called MCDM presents) is an Actual Play made by well-known Youtube DM Matt Colville. I only watched the first 2 episodes on Youtube, but I've recently subscribed as I'm finally being caught up with Critical Role.

Godsfall & Rise of the Demigods are very well produced, but the DM uses their own worldbooks on top of RAW.

Spectrulus
2019-08-28, 04:52 PM
Matthew Colville has a series called The Chain of Acheron that is literally just him and friends playing D&D, no theatrics, he even does DM follow-ups on how he thinks the sessions went. Very helpful stuff.

Adar
2019-09-06, 10:32 PM
This is a fairly RAW-adherent example of an intrigue campaign: "Carrots and Suffering". Intrigue campaigns are rare, and raw-adherent ones are rarer, so this could be a gem for you. However, lots of the die-rolling and ability use in combat gets edited out, so you may get limited mileage from that. Production values are middling, but I think the GM has done a particularly good job of world-building.

@pragma, I just want you to know that you got me totally addicted. :smalltongue: It really hit home that I was hooked when I got all excited that the latest episode dropped yesterday. It's pretty high drama and you're right, the premise of the world is really compelling. It helps that all the voices are really distinct and personable in their own way. I'm kind of surprised that their listerner numbers are as low as they are. I guess that speaks to the need for marketing, because the product is really good. I do need to hear more of the mechanics for learning purposes, but at this point it doesn't really matter because I'm totally not listening for that reason anymore.

Any idea where the name comes from? The only thing I can think of is "carrot and stick" but somehow I'm thinking that's a miss.

creakyaccordion
2019-09-06, 10:52 PM
Not a podcast, but Dimension20 has a really incredible show called The Unsleeping City. I usually really dislike urban fantasy, but it does a good job of translating 5e into New York life without literally using d20 modern. The DM and all the players are all stand up comedians so they improv really well, it's a funny but heartfelt show with a neat setting.

NRSASD
2019-09-06, 10:52 PM
@pragma, I just want you to know that you got me totally addicted. :smalltongue: It really hit home that I was hooked when I got all excited that the latest episode dropped yesterday. It's pretty high drama and you're right, the premise of the world is really compelling. It helps that all the voices are really distinct and personable in their own way. I'm kind of surprised that their listerner numbers are as low as they are. I guess that speaks to the need for marketing, because the product is really good. I do need to hear more of the mechanics for learning purposes, but at this point it doesn't really matter because I'm totally not listening for that reason anymore.

Any idea where the name comes from? The only thing I can think of is "carrot and stick" but somehow I'm thinking that's a miss.

I just wanted to add that I too have become addicted to Carrots and Suffering based on your recommendation. It's easy to understand but surprisingly deep and really, really good. Thanks for the tip!

FringeJacket
2019-09-07, 01:32 AM
Dimensión 20 is great! A couple of those people also do Not Another D&D Podcast which is my favorite