PDA

View Full Version : Good familiars for a Nordic style Eldritch Knight?

Stone-Ears
2019-08-27, 09:44 AM
So I'm playing a northern warrior that's basically like a Viking ish Eldritch knight.

So I'm wondering what familiar should I choose for my character. The only rule is no owls. It's too meta and optimized and I am not a power gamer. I prefer flavor so I'm willing to take a less optimal familiar as long as it still has some practical use.

The campaign is a far-travelling campaign with a few incursions to surrounding cities but most of the time we are either in a dungeon, the woods, or out on the road.

I'm also open to reskinning a familiar for flavor!

nickl_2000
2019-08-27, 09:49 AM
The first thing I can think of is a Raven. Odin has two of them and they are extremely iconic in the culture. I believe that is also eligible for a familiar.

Other animals google tells me are common in the area are otters and beavers, but those would take a little more re-skinning.

Stone-Ears
2019-08-27, 09:54 AM
The first thing I can think of is a Raven. Odin has two of them and they are extremely iconic in the culture. I believe that is also eligible for a familiar.

Other animals google tells me are common in the area are otters and beavers, but those would take a little more re-skinning.

Raven is the obvious one to be sure but I didn't know about otters and beavers.

My searches came up with Boars and in Norse Mythology there's a chatty, gossipy squirrel that likes to sow discord between an eagle and a dragon by telling other the horrible things they say about each other. I thought that was hilarious.

I just don't know how to make a boar that would actually be beneficial in a non combat role. They would not be stealthy at all.

nickl_2000
2019-08-27, 09:57 AM
The otter and beaver were based on actual animals in Sweden now.

If you are wanting a Squirrel, just take the CR0 cat from the MM and call it a squirrel. It's just about perfect. A boar would be to big to be a familiar as well, same as a wolf.

No brains
2019-08-27, 10:05 AM
Some form of snake may also be appropriate. I'm not certain how many snakes there are in northern climates, but the Norse peoples knew they existed. Depending on the prevalence of magic and snakes, the snake could communicate the ideas of 'weird', 'scary', and 'misunderstood'.

LibraryOgre
2019-08-27, 12:50 PM
As others have said, Ravens are pretty obvious. Hawks and Eagles would also work. Maybe seagulls, especially if he's a sailor.

Stone-Ears
2019-08-27, 01:01 PM
Some form of snake may also be appropriate. I'm not certain how many snakes there are in northern climates, but the Norse peoples knew they existed. Depending on the prevalence of magic and snakes, the snake could communicate the ideas of 'weird', 'scary', and 'misunderstood'.

There is actually a norse mythology involving a serpent. {Scrubbed}

So I kiiiinda like the idea of a poisonous snake, just not sure how practical it would be in most settings. It offers a lot of flavor but unfortunately not much use outside of wooded areas.

Stone-Ears
2019-08-27, 01:03 PM
As others have said, Ravens are pretty obvious. Hawks and Eagles would also work. Maybe seagulls, especially if he's a sailor.

I'm half tempted to go with Ravens but at the same time, it feels so overplayed for Nordic style warriors.

Hawks and Eagle sounds pretty good too and offer a lot of utility on the road and in the forest. The best aerial scout for sure.

Vrock_Summoner
2019-08-27, 01:06 PM
There is actually a norse mythology involving a serpent. {Scrubbed post, scrubbed quote}

{Scrubbed}

firelistener
2019-08-27, 01:12 PM
Keep in mind that RAW, eldritch knights only have access to Abjuration and Evocation. Find Familiar is a Conjuration spell, so you'll need something like Magic Initiate to cast it unless your DM waives that rule.

Stone-Ears
2019-08-27, 01:19 PM
Keep in mind that RAW, eldritch knights only have access to Abjuration and Evocation. Find Familiar is a Conjuration spell, so you'll need something like Magic Initiate to cast it unless your DM waives that rule.

It's my one spell that's outside the evocation and abjuration school. EKs get 3 spells known from the wizards class at level 3. 2 of them have to come from the abjuration and evocation school. The 3rd can come from any school. I don't get another spell from any school until level 8 (currently level 5)

Stone-Ears
2019-08-27, 01:21 PM
{Scrubbed post, scrubbed quote}

You are correct! Thanks for the minor correction!

LibraryOgre
2019-08-27, 01:37 PM
The Mod Ogre: Be aware of sliding into religion territory with this thread.

Clistenes
2019-08-27, 03:58 PM
Odin and Freyja are the main nordic deities of magic. Odin's holy animal was the raven, and Freyja's holy animal was the cat.

Uh... since Odin and Freyja are in Planescape and Deities & Demigods and even in The Order of the Stick, it is alright to mention them, isn't it...?

LibraryOgre
2019-08-27, 04:23 PM
Odin and Freyja are the main nordic deities of magic. Odin's holy animal was the raven, and Freyja's holy animal was the cat.

Uh... since Odin and Freyja are in Planescape and Deities & Demigods and even in The Order of the Stick, it is alright to mention them, isn't it...?

The Mod Ogre: Copacetic. Part of the warning was because I was about to cite some stories I know from reading that aren't part of the D&D lore, that I know of.

djreynolds
2019-08-27, 05:44 PM
If it is for flavor, squirrel or chipmunk would be cool... heck even a frog or toad.

If its for gaining advantage... well you need something with flyby.

Minsc and Boo

firelistener
2019-08-27, 06:48 PM
It's my one spell that's outside the evocation and abjuration school. EKs get 3 spells known from the wizards class at level 3. 2 of them have to come from the abjuration and evocation school. The 3rd can come from any school. I don't get another spell from any school until level 8 (currently level 5)

Ah, that's correct. Thank you for that; I'd never realized that the limitation wasn't for every spell known when reading it. This opens up so many possibilities for me :smallbiggrin:

Gignere
2019-08-27, 07:25 PM
If it is for flavor, squirrel or chipmunk would be cool... heck even a frog or toad.

If its for gaining advantage... well you need something with flyby.

Minsc and Boo

You don’t need flyby to cheese advantage with familiar. It becomes more limited but you can carry a container with an opening on you. Familiar starts on your shoulders, use help action scurries into said container now it’s an illegal target. Rinse and repeat each round, should work RAW. So now every familiar can do what the owl can.

Khrysaes
2019-08-28, 10:16 AM
You don’t need flyby to cheese advantage with familiar. It becomes more limited but you can carry a container with an opening on you. Familiar starts on your shoulders, use help action scurries into said container now it’s an illegal target. Rinse and repeat each round, should work RAW. So now every familiar can do what the owl can.

So a backpack with a dedicated pocket?

Gignere
2019-08-28, 10:25 AM
So a backpack with a dedicated pocket?

Or even just an open quiver.

Reevh
2019-08-28, 10:48 AM
Perhaps less useful than the other suggestions, the first thing that came to my mind for some reason was a stoat, or ermine. Seems like it'd be fun.

Stone-Ears
2019-08-28, 01:26 PM
The Mod Ogre: Be aware of sliding into religion territory with this thread.

Duly noted, I will refrain from this after receiving an explanation on it

Stone-Ears
2019-08-28, 01:28 PM
Ah, that's correct. Thank you for that; I'd never realized that the limitation wasn't for every spell known when reading it. This opens up so many possibilities for me :smallbiggrin:

Yeah if it was Evocation or Abjuration only I would probably have taken burning hands for my 3rd option. I chose Shield, Magic Missile (for the days my rolls suck and I can't seem to hit anything), and find familiar as well as Alarm

Stone-Ears
2019-08-28, 01:29 PM

Knowing my DM, I'd have to be very careful about container I choose. Otherwise the baddies will punt my familiar away

Waazraath
2019-08-28, 01:30 PM

DM: what's your familiar?
Me: a beaver.
DM: .... whut?
Player A: *sniggers*
Me: ... a beaver?
Player A: ghehe, hehe, hehehe
Player B: huhu, huhuhuh, huh.
Entire table: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDqsgbtpDLk

Nope. Wouldn't see it work at my table. But ymmv.

Stone-Ears
2019-08-28, 01:31 PM
Perhaps less useful than the other suggestions, the first thing that came to my mind for some reason was a stoat, or ermine. Seems like it'd be fun.

Weasels are speedy and stealthy, but not usually very common. If found, it would definitely be dead.

Every familiar outside the owl has its pros and cons

Stone-Ears
2019-08-28, 01:33 PM

DM: what's your familiar?
Me: a beaver.
DM: .... whut?
Player A: *sniggers*
Me: ... a beaver?
Player A: ghehe, hehe, hehehe
Player B: huhu, huhuhuh, huh.
Entire table: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDqsgbtpDLk

Nope. Wouldn't see it work at my table. But ymmv.

I mean it works for both land and water. So it is multi functional but probably very sub optimal. That being said, Beaver doesn't really scream badass familiar for a Nordic warrior

nickl_2000
2019-08-28, 02:15 PM
I mean it works for both land and water. So it is multi functional but probably very sub optimal. That being said, Beaver doesn't really scream badass familiar for a Nordic warrior

Neither does a Hamster (even a miniature giant space version), but don't tell Minsc that!

Gallowglass
2019-08-28, 02:25 PM

I read past this quickly and misread "eligible" as "edible"

I bet its edible as a familiar too. Especially baked into pie form

Stone-Ears
2019-08-28, 03:01 PM
I read past this quickly and misread "eligible" as "edible"

I bet its edible as a familiar too. Especially baked into pie form

Technically it totally is! But ethically, that's a whole different story. I feel like the next time it was summoned, it would probably resist helping you

Particle_Man
2019-08-28, 06:40 PM

Mr. Beaver wore armor in The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. I thought that was pretty badass.

Also, real life beavers look scarier than cartoon beavers.

Stone-Ears
2019-08-29, 11:46 AM
Mr. Beaver wore armor in The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. I thought that was pretty badass.

Also, real life beavers look scarier than cartoon beavers.

Fair point on Mr.Beaver.

Though IRL beavers are more adorable than anything in my eyes. Not to say it won't mess you up if it thinks you are a bad character but they look so cute

Sigreid
2019-08-29, 06:16 PM
A goat or a ram would be appropriate.

NNescio
2019-08-31, 03:14 AM

I'm not sure if this was intended, but I had a good laugh due to how skinned (shapeshifted) otters factor into Norse mythology.

nickl_2000
2019-08-31, 07:27 AM
I'm not sure if this was intended, but I had a good laugh due to how skinned (shapeshifted) otters factor into Norse mythology.

I'll totally take credit for any dad jokes I say and giving anyone a good laugh. However, in this case I can't say I have enough knowledge or the mythos to claim anything but luck.

Malfunctioned
2019-08-31, 07:45 AM
In Norse mythology Freya had a chariot pulled by two cats (Most likely Norwegian Forest Cats, known for their power, size and regal manes). So I'd say that'd be a good shout too.