PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [1E Pathfinder] Making Ghostwalk work.

EisenKreutzer
2019-08-27, 12:53 PM
I plan on using the city of Manifest from Ghostwalk in an upcoming Pathfinder campaign.
Is there anything I should know before wading into this?
I don’t expect anyone to die while in Manifest, but you can never plan these things. Also, a part of this campaign involves cities on multiple Prime Material planes bleeding into one another, and this might raise the issue of ghosts and an afterlife for player characters outside of Manifest.
Should it come up, what are some good ways of handling it? I have looked at the ghost classes, and read up on them online, and the internet seems to agree with me that they are lackluster even by 3.x standards.

I guess what I’m asking is which parts of Ghostwalk are useable, and which parts should I be prepared to modify or just ditch completely?

Alexvrahr
2019-08-27, 07:55 PM
The main thing that distinguishes Manifest from any other D&D city is that there's loads of ghosts around, they're solid, and being a ghost is a lifestyle choice rather than a crippling insanity combined with being a terrifying monster. Even if none of the PCs die you want to introduce at least one ghost or there's no point using Manifest at all.

As to what ghosts are I'd suggest dumping the Ghostwalk rules and making some of your own. They aren't good as you mentioned. The obvious benefits of being a ghost are not having vital spots or general biology and perhaps having access to some feats which do some ghost powers; incorporeality isn't going to be an issue within Manifest. To pay for those I'd use something like the aligned class rules which the evangelist PrC uses, delaying class features other than BAB/saves/HD for one level.

Edit: and giving those class features back once/if the ghost is brought back to life. And allowing instant retraining of any such ghost feats if desired.