PDA

View Full Version : How much would this cost? Auto-casting Calm Emotions

tedcahill2
2019-08-27, 03:40 PM
So my buddy is playing a badger warmage... yup. Every time he takes damage he needs to make a concentration check DC 10 + damage taken, or his rage ability is triggered and he goes feral on whatever damaged him. He cannot stop the rage until his target dies.

It's a fun part of his character, but he wants something that will help him control it. He was thinking of getting a magic item that would buff his concentration checks, but I thought maybe we could get him something with a contingent calm emotions upon rage.

How much would something like this cost? I'm thinking of a once per day thing, maybe a few times a day. Is there a way to price it where he could burn a spell slot to activate it? I'm open to some interpretations of what this thing could be.

tiercel
2019-08-28, 03:43 AM
Hm, a few options:

Tunic of Steady Spellcasting (MIC, 2500gp): +5 to Concentration checks, not just spellcasting

Eternal Wand of calm emotions (MIC, 4420gp): usable 2/day by anyone who can cast arcane spells, albeit by RAW a party member would have to use this on the furious badger unless modded to immediate action... which feels like it should be expensive.

There’s the Craft Contingent Spell feat (CA), but that’s potentially opening up another can of worms, plus it’s not as helpful as your character might like if he can’t do it himself.

Uncle Pine
2019-08-28, 07:16 AM
Note that a badger's Rage (Ex) ability is distinctly lacking the following paragraph:

While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats.
Nothing precludes you from casting spells at your opponents as long as you're "clawing and biting madly" in the process, perhaps while yelling eulalia.

You can get a [mental tap] [capacitor] psionic tattoo/piercing (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20031225a) of Calm Emotion for 2,350 gp, allowing to manifest Calm Emotion on yourself as a swift action once every 3 days (as Calm Emotion is 2nd level, it needs 3 power points which are recharged at a ratio of 1/day). To convert Calm Emotion into a power, refer to this (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a) other Mind's Eye article.

An alternative solution that is a little out of the box would be to have someone cast an illusion spell like Silent Image (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/silentImage.htm) to make the badger believe that the opponent has died, thus ending the badger's rage. Remember that the badger can choose to voluntarily fail the save against the illusion.