PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Grenade Tossing Character Build?

Citadel97501
2019-08-27, 04:20 PM
Hello all, I was just reading a different threat regarding whether archery fighting style allows you get bonuses with these weapons and I was wondering if it would work as a character build. I am hoping people can improve this concept a bit as I was thinking of a multi-class build all about creating free or nearly so acid & oil flasks that you then throw as a bonus action?

Basic Build
Race: Variant Human
-Bonus Feat: Tavern Brawler, this gives you your proficiency with these acid vials.

Artificer: 2, Any Sub-Class
-This gives you Infuse Item which lets you have an alchemy jug from level 2 onward, your other infusion can be for any item although I personally would use a Bag of Holding as it would protect your acid vials from accidental breakage. Another solid option is Repeating Shot on a hand crossbow.
-Alchemist makes the most sense to me from an RP perspective, but any of them are great for this.
-This can also be very handy to replace the acid vials & oil flasks after each combat, by simply casting mending on the broken vials as its a great cantrip available to the Artificer.

Rogue: 3, Thief Sub-Class
-This lets you use items as a bonus action. This in theory lets you throw acid vials or oil at your targets making you very lethal early on and making up for the lack of a 2nd attack.

Extras
I think 2 levels of fighter would be a great addition to this after you get to Artificer 5, as you then get Action Surge, and a fighting style which will make you much more accurate and lethal.

Combat Info Assuming level 5 with the following stat array (10, 16, 13, 14, 13, 10, 10)
Repeating Shot Hand Crossbow with Sneak Attack: +7 or so to hit, & 3d6+4 piercing
Acid Vials: +6 to hit, 2d6+3 per vial, I assume 3 vials available as you should be making 2 every day and likely not using both a day unless adventuring.
Armor Class: 16 due to a Breastplate not using a shield due to hands needing to be free for acid vials and weapons.
Health Points: 45 (usually give maximum hp for 1st 5 levels.)

Level 9 IE adding 2 fighter levels and 3 more artificer levels, +2 DEX from ASI.
Repeating Shot Hand Crossbow: 2 attacks with +9 to hit and one doing sneak attack damage.
Acid Vials: +8 to hit, 2d6+4 per vial. (you could be making 4 or more of these a day if you just make a magical crossbow with the repeating effect!)
Armor Class: 16 still
Health: 74 or 75 depending on round up or not for averages.