PDA

View Full Version : What's Rao Alignment?

Bartmanhomer
2019-08-27, 06:14 PM
I could have post Rao alignment in the Fictional Character Alignment Thread but I don't know what's Rao alignment. In case if you don't know who I'm talking about. Rao happens to be a Krypton deity in the DC universe. universe anyway does anyone know what's Rao alignment is?

Dienekes
2019-08-27, 06:33 PM
Well the thing is, Kryptonian society has been vague and rechanged multiple times. The god of that society has then been portrayed in a lot of different ways that make picking an alingment pretty hard.

For example, Krypton was originally portrayed as some glorious near perfect planet that was sadly doomed and the star that the planet revolved around was Rao. Rao was a star not a god, and didn't have an alignment. But then it was determined that Rao was also the name of the Kryptonian God who also was the Judeo-Christian God. So whatever you think the Judeo-Christian God's alignment would be, Rao is.

And Rao has gone back and forth between being a star and being a god ever since. In Sandman: Endless Night the star Rao is given a character, one which decides to doom the planet Krypton just to see the despair of the people. So I'd pretty much give this star some form of the Evil alignment. In The Last God of Krypton, Rao is portrayed as more a pagan God, one that walks and talks and sleeps with people. This Rao is clever enough to realize the Ice god is playing him and defeats her in a war. Some of his punishments were a bit on the strange and harsh side. I'd give him Neutral with Good leanings.

And that's all the versions of Rao I know. I think he came back as a villain in New 52. But I didn't read that so I can't say for certain.

Bartmanhomer
2019-08-27, 06:43 PM
Well the thing is, Kryptonian society has been vague and rechanged multiple times. The god of that society has then been portrayed in a lot of different ways that make picking an alingment pretty hard.

For example, Krypton was originally portrayed as some glorious near perfect planet that was sadly doomed and the star that the planet revolved around was Rao. Rao was a star not a god, and didn't have an alignment. But then it was determined that Rao was also the name of the Kryptonian God who also was the Judeo-Christian God. So whatever you think the Judeo-Christian God's alignment would be, Rao is.

And Rao has gone back and forth between being a star and being a god ever since. In Sandman: Endless Night the star Rao is given a character, one which decides to doom the planet Krypton just to see the despair of the people. So I'd pretty much give this star some form of the Evil alignment. In The Last God of Krypton, Rao is portrayed as more a pagan God, one that walks and talks and sleeps with people. This Rao is clever enough to realize the Ice god is playing him and defeats her in a war. Some of his punishments were a bit on the strange and harsh side. I'd give him Neutral with Good leanings.

And that's all the versions of Rao I know. I think he came back as a villain in New 52. But I didn't read that so I can't say for certain.

Oh wow. So Rao alignment is a mystery and varied with each version. :eek:

Tom Kalbfus
2019-08-28, 04:14 AM
I could have post Rao alignment in the Fictional Character Alignment Thread but I don't know what's Rao alignment. In case if you don't know who I'm talking about. Rao happens to be a Krypton deity in the DC universe. universe anyway does anyone know what's Rao alignment is?
Just because Kryptonians believe in him, doesn't mean he is real. Rao is a star, and a star is a ball of hot gas. In some versions, Rao explodes destroying Krypton, in other versions, it is Krypton itself that explodes having nothing to do with the star it orbits.

Delicious Taffy
2019-08-30, 04:36 PM
The title of this thread looks like one of those spam adverts. Imagine my surprise when I found out it's actually about Superman('s homeworld's deity).