PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Unearthed Arcana Mystic

Drache64
2019-08-27, 07:42 PM
Hey Everyone,

I am creating a level 1 Awakened Mystic, the idea is to play a Darkseid knock off. (Wasn't my original intent but after I wrote my character out I said "Hey that's Darkseid!")

Anyways he is a Goliath Awakened Mystic who sits back and watches the party fight while using his mental powers like Mind Thrust.

When he needs to he steps into combat relying upon his natural Goliath physique and amping his physical form with mystic powers, though this is his last resort, he would rather not get his hands dirty.

Which Disciplines do you think optimize the build while keeping to the character? I don't want to make a munchkin, but I also want to make sure I take advantage of abilities that work with my narrative.

At level 1 I went with Iron Durability, Telepathic Contact, Precognition, and Mind Thrust as a talent but I can switch Disciplines every time I level up. Note two Disciplines have to be Awakened, and 1 can come from anywhere.

Here are my stats:
STR: 15
DEX: 15
CON: 16
INT: 18
WIS: 14
CHA: 11

carrdrivesyou
2019-08-28, 12:00 PM
Well, this is certainly an unorthodox build. Not an "optimal" race/class combo, but let's see what we can do.

The Awakened is pretty strong at out of combat abilities, and is second only to the Nomad in terms of skills. As for combat, I would suggest the following Disciplines:

Immortal: Bestial Form, Brute Force, and your choice of Diminution/Giant Growth
BF nabs you some solid utility (Tough Hide getting you some stacking AC), Brute Force is really just here for when you have to wade into the melee for some reason, and the size changing abilities are useful for whichever play style you happen to be a fan of. A microscopic psychic on the wall is hard to find, let alone kill; as is the Massive wall of goliath swinging a now GARGANTUAN weapon at them.

Awakened: Psychic Assault, Aura Sight and Precognition.
PA will get you some solid blast abilities in the same vein as Mind Thrust, and the others will help you know how best to apply your abilities.

Nomad: Nomadic Mind will net you whatever skill you need on the fly, and adds a swiss army knife of tools to your box.

Wu Jen: Mastery of Ice or Mastery of Force
MoI gets you solid temp HP, a good blasting ability, and solid control options. MoF gets you Inertial Armor (the only real thing of use here), that stacks with all kinds of stuff (14 + DEX + Shield + Shield of Faith)

As for talents, its really your choice here, as i think we covered all the bases you wanted with your Disciplines. I did up a guide for the class as a whole if you'd like to take a look (link in sig.).

Hope this helps!

-Carr