PDA

View Full Version : Divine Soul Sorcerer Spell Help

Clone
2019-08-28, 06:19 AM
Hey all, I've found myself in a bit of a conundrum.
I'm playing in a game with a brand new DM and almost exclusively new players in a homebrew game.
In literally every single game I've played in since I have taken on or have had to adopt either the tank or healer role, sometimes both.
So going into this game I decided I was going to play a Blaster Sorcerer and just enjoy chilling in the backlines for once.

Until the day we all sat down and begin to play and learned that out of the 6 players, we have only 2 primary spellcasters in the group being myself and a Fiend Warlock, with a Ranger being the only other form of magic. There is a BM Fighter, Thief Rogue and Open Hand Monk to shore up the rest of the players. We're all level 3.

Here is my problem. I've already rolled stats, picked Sorcerer and ended up going Divine but want to both Blast and Support the team. I'd rather not multiclass since it won't be a very high level campaign (I've also never gotten to cast 4th levels spells as a PC before in 2ish years playing, so that would be nice) and I'm pretty much locked into Sorcerer. I don't want to try influence the other players due to them being new and many were psyched to play a class which has flavour they specifically like, some have even gotten art commissioned for mini's made for them. Changing them is a no-go.
My stats are, for those interested: 10/16/14/11/10/17

My question to those who have experience with Sorcerers or Divine Soul Sorcerers is what spells do you get the most mileage out of?
After a conversation with my DM she was nice enough to grant me Chaos Bolt for free along with changing my Spells known to Sorc Level + CHA mod, which helps a lot in selecting spells along with teh free Divine Sorcerer Cleric spell.
I've Twin Spell as my first Metamagic but am unsure of the second.

As a small caveat: I'm well aware that "tank" and "healer" doesn't apply in D&D nearly as much, but these terms resonate with the people I play with. I'm not trying to heal in combat also, unless its to pick someone up from being injured!

Any and all help is appreciated!

Bobthewizard
2019-08-28, 06:58 AM
The extra spells known is huge. With that, you can be a blaster, controller, healer, and face for the party. I normally don't like divine soul since it tries to do too many things with too few spell slots, but it's perfect for this party with that rule.

Here are some spells that would work for this build. You won't take all of these spells, but take some from each category and you'll be fine. I bolded the 10 spells I'd have at level 6, but there is a lot of flexibility here.

Spells
Defense 1-shield, mage armor, absorb elements, 2- misty step, mirror image, 3- counterspell
Blaster 1- thunder wave, 2- shatter, spiritual weapon, 3- fireball, spirit guardians
Controller 1- sleep (drop at 3), 2- web, 3- hypnotic pattern
Healer 1- healing word, 2- lesser restoration 3- revivify
Face 2- suggestion

At level 3, I'd take 1- mage armor, shield, healing word, 2-spiritual weapon, web, suggestion

Edit based on posts below. I missed the chaos bolt for free and forgot that Divine soul can get cure wounds or bless for free. So let's assume cure wounds for free. I'd see if you can change chaos bolt to guiding bolt. As mentioned above it's a good blast.

So at level 3 with chaos bolt and cure wounds plus 6 others, I'd take
1- shield, mage armor, bless, chaos bolt, cure wounds
2- spiritual weapon, web, suggestion

If your character is Lawful, I'd switch healing word for cure wounds.

Nhorianscum
2019-08-28, 07:44 AM
I'm playing in a game with a brand new DM and almost exclusively new players in a homebrew game.
In literally every single game I've played in since I have taken on or have had to adopt either the tank or healer role, sometimes both.
So going into this game I decided I was going to play a Blaster Sorcerer and just enjoy chilling in the backlines for once.

Until the day we all sat down and begin to play and learned that out of the 6 players, we have only 2 primary spellcasters in the group being myself and a Fiend Warlock, with a Ranger being the only other form of magic. There is a BM Fighter, Thief Rogue and Open Hand Monk to shore up the rest of the players. We're all level 3.

Here is my problem. I've already rolled stats, picked Sorcerer and ended up going Divine but want to both Blast and Support the team. I'd rather not multiclass since it won't be a very high level campaign (I've also never gotten to cast 4th levels spells as a PC before in 2ish years playing, so that would be nice) and I'm pretty much locked into Sorcerer. I don't want to try influence the other players due to them being new and many were psyched to play a class which has flavour they specifically like, some have even gotten art commissioned for mini's made for them. Changing them is a no-go.

My question to those who have experience with Sorcerers or Divine Soul Sorcerers is what spells do you get the most mileage out of?
After a conversation with my DM she was nice enough to grant me Chaos Bolt for free along with changing my Spells known to Sorc Level + CHA mod, which helps a lot in selecting spells along with teh free Divine Sorcerer Cleric spell.

As a small caveat: I'm well aware that "tank" and "healer" doesn't apply in D&D nearly as much, but these terms resonate with the people I play with. I'm not trying to heal in combat also, unless its to pick someone up from being injured!

You are just swimming in spells.

If you wanna facetank.... Take quickened spell + mage armor + shield. along with spirit guardians at 5th level. You should be able to push 25-26 effective AC with the dodge action.

Heal by casting upcast aid or slapping down a quick burst heal early.

Late game (11+) DS "healing" is just slapping a ton of padding onto your allies HP cap, making them immune to most common status's, making them immune to death, and then taking a long rest to get those slots back. Also heal is a good spell.

DevilMcam
2019-08-28, 07:48 AM
At low level I tend to prefer the cleric spell list and would go mainly with that while picking one or 2 good sorc spells.
Cure wounds /healing Word, guiding Bolt, Shield absorb éléments for lvl 1
Spiritual weapon, aid, phantasmal force /suggestion, misty step for 2
Spiritual guardian, counter spell for 3,etc

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-08-28, 07:57 AM
Why do you take Divine Soul?
Which spells are you hunting for?

Bless is a nice buff and Healing word can be nice but twin Haste also work great.
Inspiring leader can replace healing for some time.

Sorcerers are already great buffers.

I think a bard will may work better, you have some healing, some support and some blasting.

You can even steal the strongest spells from all lists if you are going lore and stay at the back line.

If you are locked at Sorcerer I think the Shadow and Draconic will make better blasters. The big problem is that you can't know enough spells so expanding the spell list without a goal or reason is a wast.

redwizard007
2019-08-28, 09:42 AM

Take Twin and Extend metamagic.

0- Fire bolt, Guidance, Poison Spray, Spare the Dying
1- Bless, Chromatic Orb, Detect Magic
2- Aid, Dragons Breath, Scorcing Ray

With Chaos Bolt and Cure Wounds for free you should be good to go.

Don't worry about "face" spells and control. You wanted to blast and support and you can do that. Twin your Dragons Breath for swarms (until you get Haste.) Use Bless and Aid to boost the party. Toss Ray's and orbs for dps. Spare the Dying and Cure Wounds let you play combat medic. Detect Magic is a must, and Guidance is such a great skill boost that some tables ban it. All you lack is battlefield control and you could swap in Web or Fog Cloud if it felt right.

Fryy
2019-08-28, 12:40 PM
Metamagic - If you want to blast then take Quicken metamagic. It allows you to increase your dpr a few times a day.

Multiclass - Also, if you want to really blast then take 2 levels in Warlock and select the Eldritch Blast at Warlock 1 and the Agonizing Blast invocation at Warlock 2. 2 levels Warlock is the minimum and 3 is the max.

Pex
2019-08-28, 12:48 PM
Guiding Bolt because you get to twin it.

To go all out blasting Quicken Guiding Bolt then cast Fire Bolt with the Advantage you're giving yourself.

Fryy
2019-08-28, 12:51 PM
The extra spells known is huge. With that, you can be a blaster, controller, healer, and face for the party. I normally don't like divine soul since it tries to do too many things with too few spell slots, but it's perfect for this party with that rule.

Here are some spells that would work for this build. You won't take all of these spells, but take some from each category and you'll be fine. I bolded the 10 spells I'd have at level 6, but there is a lot of flexibility here.

Spells
Defense 1-shield, mage armor, absorb elements, 2- misty step, mirror image, 3- counterspell
Blaster 1- thunder wave, 2- shatter, spiritual weapon, 3- fireball, spirit guardians
Controller 1- sleep (drop at 3), 2- web, 3- hypnotic pattern
Healer 1- healing word, 2- lesser restoration 3- revivify
Face 2- suggestion

At level 3, I'd take 1- mage armor, shield, healing word, 2-spiritual weapon, web, suggestion

Thats a good list. He probably would not need both Thunderwave and Shatter. Guiding Bolt (which the dm is giving for free) is really good to Twin. Spiritual Weapon doesnt scale well and isnt twinnable and competes with Quicken if he takes it.

He should see if he can get lessor resto and Revivify as scrolls. He could still use the scrolls without them beimg spells known since they are on his class spell list.

Monster Manuel
2019-08-28, 01:53 PM
Guiding Bolt because you get to twin it.

To go all out blasting Quicken Guiding Bolt then cast Fire Bolt with the Advantage you're giving yourself.

OR...use guiding bolt to set up that Rogue in your party for otherwise-impossible Sneak Attacking. For this party, it's a very blasty buff spell. Really good choice for you.

AHF
2019-08-28, 01:59 PM
I would definitely include Bless with a melee heavy party, take Quicken as a meta magic and Guiding Bolt is the preferable 1st level attack spell over Chromatic Orb if you can swing that.

Bobthewizard’s list is excellent.

HappyDaze
2019-08-28, 02:46 PM
Twin your Dragons Breath for swarms (until you get Haste.)
While it looks good by RAW, I have heard that JC says this is not supposed to be legal.

Bobthewizard
2019-08-28, 02:55 PM

I'm going to change this here too instead of just editing the above post since it's been quoted. I missed the chaos bolt for free and forgot that Divine soul can get cure wounds or bless for free. So let's assume cure wounds for free. I'd see if you can change chaos bolt to guiding bolt. As mentioned above it's a good blast.

So at level 3 with chaos bolt and cure wounds plus 6 others, I'd take
1- shield, mage armor, bless, chaos bolt, cure wounds
2- spiritual weapon, web, suggestion

If your character is Lawful, I'd switch healing word for cure wounds.

Thats a good list. He probably would not need both Thunderwave and Shatter. Guiding Bolt (which the dm is giving for free) is really good to Twin. Spiritual Weapon doesnt scale well and isnt twinnable and competes with Quicken if he takes it.

He should see if he can get lessor resto and Revivify as scrolls. He could still use the scrolls without them beimg spells known since they are on his class spell list.

I would not take both thunderwave and shatter but probably one of them to get me through until fireball. Although you could pass on both and just use chaos bolt or guiding bolt.

Spiritual weapon is amazing because it's bonus action recurring damage that doesn't use concentration. The only other spell I can think of that does that is crown of stars at level 7. I wouldn't take quicken on a straight sorcerer until later. Quicken and twin would give you two expensive metamagics. I'd take either subtle or empowered which only cost one point each and save quicken for higher levels. I'd take quicken at 3 if I were planning to multi class into warlock but not on a straight sorcerer.

Great point on scrolls since both are emergency spells you hope to not need.

I would definitely include Bless with a melee heavy party, take Quicken as a meta magic and Guiding Bolt is the preferable 1st level attack spell over Chromatic Orb if you can swing that.

Bobthewizard’s list is excellent.

Thanks. Bless is great. I added that after replacing healing word with the free cure wounds.

Bardon
2019-08-28, 04:52 PM
My Divine Soul sorceror has only hit level 5 and our party has only two spellcasters, myself and a druid. I'm getting a lot of mileage out of Bless, Spiritual Weapon (non-concentration damage over multiple turns and very useful to force a flanking bonus for your melee friends!), Subtle Suggestion, Twinned Invisibility and for those special occasions, that old classic Fireball.

In the Cantrip space, I went for two damage cantrips: Firebolt and Toll the Dead, which gives you some variety and doesn't lock you down if you're facing a high-AC or high-save enemy. Guidance is your party's very very very best friend for out of combat, use it liberally and they'll love you! Probably the most useful other cantrips would be Minor Illusion & Mage Hand, but that applies to just about every character capable of getting those two. :biggrin:

ff7hero
2019-08-28, 05:06 PM
For the record, Divine Soul Sorcerers can only use Cleric Scrolls of spells they know. The way Divine Magic works is that it adds the Cleric spells you pick to the Sorcerer list for you. It doesn't add all Cleric spells to the Sorcerer list or actually grant you access to the Cleric list.

Clone
2019-08-28, 06:31 PM
Some great stuff here! Thank you everyone.

Bobthewizard's spells list is great, thank you!
I'll definitely weave some of the spells into my end list.
the list I had when we sat down was:
Lvl 1 - Shield, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Sanctuary, (Chaos Bolt, granted by DM), (Healing word, swapped from the Cure Wounds)
Lvl 2 - Prayer of Healing, Spiritual Weapon

My logic was to twin Healing Word if needs be during combat, otherwise using Spiritual Weapon for my bonus action and my main level 2 slots while using Magic Missile or twinned Chaos Bolt using the level 1 slots. Then out of combat healing using Prayer of Healing and my Gourmand feat (also granted by the DM, she was all for the concept of my character and its a pretty minor effect).
I'll probably swap something out for an AoE and Social spell.

It should also be noted that while I adore both Bless and Bane, having 6 players means adding more dice to each round when they are all still trying to figure out how to roll an attack can be cumbersome. I won't be using either in order to sort of speed up and simplify the encounters, despite how good it is. This is probably going to change in a few levels, but for now I'll be leaving it out.

My main questions are now:

1. Should I bother to grab Guiding Bolt, despite already having (an unswappable) Chaos Bolt? I totally understand the impact of it, but having two similar spells seems a tad redundant when I'm trying to cover so many bases.

2. What would be the best AoE in this scenario? With so many Melee fighters (turns out the Ranger is also TWF) I'm a tad worried of friendly fire, so was going to use Magic Missile to semi-counter this for accurate attacks. I'm not super versed in actually using arcane spells from a player perspective, so any help is appreciated!

3. What would be the best secondary Metamagic? I see the logic for Empowered, Subtle and Careful since they're only 1 SP each and am not a fan of Quicken AND Twin due to the expense. I understand it'll impact the spells I pick from then on, but the only MM I'm sold on is Twin so I'm open to any.

Cikomyr
2019-08-28, 07:38 PM
Guiding Bolt and Spiritual Weapons are great cleric spells for a Divine Soul. The first is one of the most powerful 1st level spell, the second basically makes sure you always have the chance of dealing damage every turn without the need of concentrating.

Bobthewizard
2019-08-28, 07:57 PM
the list I had when we sat down was:
Lvl 1 - Shield, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Sanctuary, (Chaos Bolt, granted by DM), (Healing word, swapped from the Cure Wounds)
Lvl 2 - Prayer of Healing, Spiritual Weapon

My main questions are now:

1. Should I bother to grab Guiding Bolt, despite already having (an unswappable) Chaos Bolt? I totally understand the impact of it, but having two similar spells seems a tad redundant when I'm trying to cover so many bases.

2. What would be the best AoE in this scenario? With so many Melee fighters (turns out the Ranger is also TWF) I'm a tad worried of friendly fire, so was going to use Magic Missile to semi-counter this for accurate attacks. I'm not super versed in actually using arcane spells from a player perspective, so any help is appreciated!

3. What would be the best secondary Metamagic? I see the logic for Empowered, Subtle and Careful since they're only 1 SP each and am not a fan of Quicken AND Twin due to the expense. I understand it'll impact the spells I pick from then on, but the only MM I'm sold on is Twin so I'm open to any.

1. I wouldn't take any more single target damage spells if you already have chaos bolt. Twin that instead of magic missile. The rest of your party is going to be pretty good at single target damage, so use your spell selections elsewhere. Using spiritual weapon and a cantrip is pretty good 1 round damage anyway.

2. Either shatter or thunder wave, but I'd probably wait on AOE damage for fireball and take an AOE control like web now.

3. Here's my favorite sorcerer guide from TheUser. It has great breakdowns of each meta magic.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxHRu80oFd2iSkNLeVBISzZxMzQ/view

Also, preparing healing word, sanctuary, and prayer of healing is a lot of spell selections dedicated to healing HP. Not sure sanctuary is needed. Just wait until they drop and cast healing word. Prayer of healing takes 10 minutes to cast. If you have 10 minutes you probably have an hour for a short rest and they can just use their hit dice. It can be helpful for a brutal day though. If I were to take another healing spell, I'd look at lesser restoration since it does something different.

Clone
2019-08-29, 10:26 AM
1. I wouldn't take any more single target damage spells if you already have chaos bolt. Twin that instead of magic missile. The rest of your party is going to be pretty good at single target damage, so use your spell selections elsewhere. Using spiritual weapon and a cantrip is pretty good 1 round damage anyway.

2. Either shatter or thunder wave, but I'd probably wait on AOE damage for fireball and take an AOE control like web now.

3. Here's my favorite sorcerer guide from TheUser. It has great breakdowns of each meta magic.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxHRu80oFd2iSkNLeVBISzZxMzQ/view

Also, preparing healing word, sanctuary, and prayer of healing is a lot of spell selections dedicated to healing HP. Not sure sanctuary is needed. Just wait until they drop and cast healing word. Prayer of healing takes 10 minutes to cast. If you have 10 minutes you probably have an hour for a short rest and they can just use their hit dice. It can be helpful for a brutal day though. If I were to take another healing spell, I'd look at lesser restoration since it does something different.

Thats all fair. I'll tell the Warlock the benefits of AoE abilities (and since he's a Fiend Patron) so he may be tempted, but I'll leave the AoE choice unless next level and I know what the party is like acting together. Possibly picking up Web, unsure.

I read the guide and loved it, but found myself unsure which to pick since Subtle mightn't get proper use when I pick so few complimentary spells. I may just take Empowered so the satisfaction-factor of rerolling low damage rolls.

Thank you all for the help! This really did shape the direction I should be taking with the character.

Are there any tips relating to future spell selection, from 4th-5th spell level? I've never gotten this far so while early divine magic I had some familiarity, 4th and 5th level spells are completely foreign to me.