PDA

View Full Version : Can you Grapple as an attack of opportunity?

Phhase
2019-08-28, 04:32 PM
See above.

Coffee_Dragon
2019-08-28, 04:38 PM
Well, let's see what the fox rules say.

Grappling requires the Attack action. An opportunity attack uses your reaction. So no. (All on PHB 195.)

Edittoadd: In the rare case that you have the Tavern Brawler feat and end up hitting someone with an attack of opportunity on your turn, this may trigger a grappling attempt, but it's still not grappling with the AoO.

Phhase
2019-08-28, 04:46 PM
Well, let's see what the fox rules say.

Grappling requires the Attack action. An opportunity attack uses your reaction.

Hrm. I thought the way opportunity attacks worked was that you use your reaction to take an Attack action?

Grimmnist
2019-08-28, 04:56 PM
Hrm. I thought the way opportunity attacks worked was that you use your reaction to take an Attack action?

Opportunity attack reads "To make the opportunity Attack, you use your Reaction to make one melee Attack against the provoking creature." An Attack is different than the Attack action (which can let you make multiple attacks), so you cannot make a grapple or shove check since those require the Attack action.

Personally I allow Grappling as a reaction in my games, but RAW it does not work.

@Coffee Dragon Tavern Brawler does not work to let you grapple if your Attack of Opportunity hits because the Grapple check requires you to spend a bonus action.

Millstone85
2019-08-28, 05:13 PM
Opportunity attack reads "To make the opportunity Attack, you use your Reaction to make one melee Attack against the provoking creature."Except that it does not capitalize the word "attack", nor the word "reaction" for that matter.

And indeed, this should alleviate some of the confusion between "an attack" and "the Attack action", since the latter is always capitalized.

NecessaryWeevil
2019-08-28, 05:16 PM
@Coffee Dragon Tavern Brawler does not work to let you grapple if your Attack of Opportunity hits because the Grapple check requires you to spend a bonus action.

Presumably that's why Coffee Dragon specified "on your turn."

Grimmnist
2019-08-28, 05:26 PM
Presumably that's why Coffee Dragon specified "on your turn."

Sorry, I'm illiterate.

I guess Dissonant Whispers would trigger that case, any other ways to get AoO on your turn?

Coffee_Dragon
2019-08-28, 06:03 PM
I guess Dissonant Whispers would trigger that case, any other ways to get AoO on your turn?

Someone's Ready action to move is one way.

opaopajr
2019-08-28, 06:33 PM
Someone's Ready action to move is one way.

Correct, because Ready allows you to program your Reaction with an optional trigger. Technically it is not using OA's trigger and restrictions at that point, because Ready is its own thing. :smallcool: Ready is a very cool function.

But I am not such a stickler for RAW at every table, either. :smalltongue:

TheUser
2019-08-28, 07:25 PM
This is why I love both Moon Druids (with their grapple attacks) and the Sentinel feat.

Putting the two together is also pretty sublime.

stoutstien
2019-08-28, 09:23 PM
No.
Should be in the grappling feat imo.

Lunali
2019-08-28, 09:47 PM
Correct, because Ready allows you to program your Reaction with an optional trigger. Technically it is not using OA's trigger and restrictions at that point, because Ready is its own thing. :smallcool: Ready is a very cool function.

But I am not such a stickler for RAW at every table, either. :smalltongue:

The suggestion was that if someone else had a readied action to move away, an opportunity attack could be triggered on your turn.