PDA

View Full Version : Types of Magic

ThatHobbitGuy
2019-08-28, 07:26 PM
Now, I know that there is nature magic with druids and rangers and stuff, and divine with paladins and clerics and such, and arcane with wizards etc but are there any others? It seems quite limited, and I know there is a psion class, what type of magic is that?

EisenKreutzer
2019-08-28, 07:38 PM
In D&D 3.x you have arcane and divine magic, natural magic (a subset of divine, functionally identical but derived from nature rather than a deity), psionics, incarnum, truenaming and blade magic (from ToB).

In Pathfinder you have arcane, divine, natural and occult magic.

Older D&D editions had wild magic as a separate source of power, and you could argue that warlocks have a separate source for their power apart from arcane.

flappeercraft
2019-08-28, 07:51 PM
There is also Binding and Shadow Magic, both from ToM. Infusions from Artificers should also count. Finally Invocations which are on Warlocks as previously mentioned but also come from Dragonfire Adepts.

EisenKreutzer
2019-08-28, 07:55 PM
There is also Binding and Shadow Magic, both from ToM. Infusions from Artificers should also count. Finally Invocations which are on Warlocks as previously mentioned but also come from Dragonfire Adepts.

Yeah, I spaced on Binding and Shadow Magic. The others are sort of obscure, so I forgot about them. Nice catch!

Biggus
2019-08-28, 11:45 PM
In Forgotten Realms there's also spellfire ("the raw energy of the weave") and the shadow weave ("the pattern formed by the negative space between the weave's strands"). The latter works much like ordinary magic with just a few key differences, but spellfire is entirely different.

Epic Spellcasting allows you to invent your own spells.

Also ki is occasionally referred to as deriving ultimately from the same energy as magic and psionics.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-08-29, 12:03 AM
In addition to the ones already mentioned:

Some magic comes directly from the creature that produces it; this includes many supernatural (Su) abilities... and maybe some spell-like/psi-like abilities?

Dragons may or may not count as a source of magic, but you can get magic directly from dragons via spell pacts, whatever Dragon Shamans are doing, and to a lesser extent draconic soulmelds. (And maybe Dragonfire Adept invocations; I don't actually know whether those are flavored as coming directly from dragons or not).

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-08-29, 12:15 AM
I know there is a psion class, what type of magic is that?As others have said, it's psionics, which is basically mind-magic, or in other words, a psion is a psychic-type Pokemon.

Bohandas
2019-08-29, 12:39 AM
Epic Spellcasting allows you to invent your own spells.

Epic Spellcasting isn't a seperate category per se. Like regular spells and powers it is either Arcane, Divine or Psionic depending on who is doing it.

ShurikVch
2019-08-29, 04:35 PM
Also, Astral magic - used by Githyanki Ghustils, explicitly neither Arcane, nor Divine

And, since Cancer Mage exist, there should be some "disease magic", because there can't be Mage without magic

EisenKreutzer
2019-08-29, 05:30 PM
Also, Astral magic - used by Githyanki Ghustils, explicitly neither Arcane, nor Divine

And, since Cancer Mage exist, there should be some "disease magic", because there can't be Mage without magic

Well, the Cancer Mage is just an arcane caster with a tumor as a familiar.

Psyren
2019-08-29, 07:44 PM
In addition to psychic magic, Pathfinder also has Alchemy (mostly chemistry but uses some personal energy from the alchemist that is neither arcane nor divine) and Technology, which is based on alien science and very difficult for Golarion natives to replicate.

ShurikVch
2019-09-02, 06:06 AM
Well, the Cancer Mage is just an arcane caster with a tumor as a familiar.Re-check the class - it's neither give, nor progressing, or even required spellcasting - arcane or otherwise.
All it gives is three Sp and five Su abilities; but it's still magic, right?

Eldan
2019-09-02, 06:19 AM

I've never heard of Ghustils, can you give me a source on that? Sounds interesting.

EisenKreutzer
2019-09-02, 06:33 AM
Re-check the class - it's neither give, nor progressing, or even required spellcasting - arcane or otherwise.
All it gives is three Sp and five Su abilities; but it's still magic, right?

Well, I guess I was wrong then. :)

ShurikVch
2019-09-02, 07:19 AM
I've never heard of Ghustils, can you give me a source on that? Sounds interesting.Polyhedron #159 (https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Polyhedron_159) (Dungeon #100 (https://paizo.com/products/btpy7z77?Dungeon-Issue-100-with-Polyhedron-159)).

Thurbane
2019-09-02, 07:47 PM
I was going to mention Gnome Artificers and their devices, but they are specifically non-magical...

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-09-02, 07:52 PM
I was going to mention Gnome Artificers and their devices, but they are specifically non-magical...Well, there is Clarke's Third Law...

And on that vein, there are Devices, from Ravenloft: Legacy of the Blood. You can craft [Ex] versions of any magic item via steampunkish doo-dads. Lots of wires and blinking lights and gears and copper tubes. They run on fuel cells of varying types (from hand-cranked to bioelectrically-fueled ones). The only other difference between them and regular magic items is that they function in AMFs and dead magic zones.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/mlp/images/2/2e/Twilight_tries_to_measure_Pinkie%27s_predictions_S 1E15.png/revision/latest?cb=20111129235417

...Though technically speaking, you can use fabricate to whip one up PDQ...

Envoy
2019-09-02, 07:58 PM
Then, are bards arcane? I always treated them separately, as they have different spell lists than arcane and divine users.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-09-02, 07:59 PM
Then, are bards arcane? I always treated them separately, as they have different spell lists than arcane and divine users.They are(cane). Though there are divine bards in the SRD.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-09-02, 08:10 PM
Then, are bards arcane? I always treated them separately, as they have different spell lists than arcane and divine users.

They are(cane). Though there are divine bards in the SRD.

Their spells are arcane (or divine for the variant); their musics are Supernatural or Spell-like depending on the specific song.

ShurikVch
2019-09-03, 06:02 PM
I was going to mention Gnome Artificers and their devices, but they are specifically non-magical...Actually, part of them are magical - see the Shadow Effect CF

Also:
Hellreaver (Fiendish Codex II) - Holy Fury magic
Serene Guardian (The Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde) - Resonance magic
Shadow Sentinel (Races of Destiny) - Shadow Points magic