PDA

View Full Version : Proof of the first prime number.

Particle_Man
2019-08-28, 09:39 PM

Because the leader of the Modrons is Primus the One and Prime.

:smallsmile:

MisterKaws
2019-08-28, 10:12 PM
What. Double What.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-08-28, 10:45 PM

Because the leader of the Modrons is Primus the One and Prime.

:smallsmile:

Well played, sir.

Khedrac
2019-08-29, 03:03 AM
Nice, but that is actually only half of a proof.

There's an equally good (if not better) conclusion you can draw from Primus being the One and the Prime - and that is that 1 is the last prime number...

So, currently you have shown it to be the first or last prime number (or possibly both at once).

EldritchWeaver
2019-08-29, 08:13 AM
Too bad that math excludes 1 as prime number, as with it there would be no canonical representation of a number's prime numbers.

Saintheart
2019-08-29, 09:14 AM
Too bad this forum won't let me post less than 10 characters, because I could have saved this whole sentence before giving my reply: :smallsigh:

Winthur
2019-08-29, 09:17 AM
Too bad this forum won't let me post less than 10 characters, because I could have saved this whole sentence before giving my reply: :smallsigh:
:sigh:........

Particle_Man
2019-08-29, 09:56 AM
Nice, but that is actually only half of a proof.

There's an equally good (if not better) conclusion you can draw from Primus being the One and the Prime - and that is that 1 is the last prime number...

So, currently you have shown it to be the first or last prime number (or possibly both at once).

Primus, the One and Only Prime? :smallsmile:

Khedrac
2019-08-29, 01:58 PM
Primus, the One and Only Prime? :smallsmile:

Actually, the number "1" is the only prime - for addition.

Generally when we speak of primes we don't mention that they are the primes of multiplication (it's assumed), but primes (and units) are values that can be derived for pretty much any mathematical operation (the unit of addition, the number that doesn't change the starting value, is zero).

So yes, Primus - 1 - is the only prime of addition.

(This may be why the formians are dominant in Mechanus - they multiply...)

MisterKaws
2019-08-29, 02:23 PM
:sigh:........

exposed!!!

ezekielraiden
2019-08-29, 02:37 PM
Actually, the number "1" is the only prime - for addition.

Generally when we speak of primes we don't mention that they are the primes of multiplication (it's assumed), but primes (and units) are values that can be derived for pretty much any mathematical operation (the unit of addition, the number that doesn't change the starting value, is zero).

So yes, Primus - 1 - is the only prime of addition.

(This may be why the formians are dominant in Mechanus - they multiply...)

Er...how do you figure? The definition of "prime" is usually most concisely given as "a positive integer with exactly two distinct factors." (Originally, 1 *was* considered prime, but the PNT and similar stuff was considered more valuable than including 1 among the primes.) Addition has no concept quite identical to "factors," so you will at best be *very* loosely approximating "primes for addition." Call them...I dunno...aces, that's a good word that starts with a. The equivalent of the PNT would be the "ace number theorem": all natural numbers may be written as a unique summation of aces. Under those lights, of course 1 is the only ace, which can be written as a sum of two negative integers in only one way (0+1)...but this is no revelation. (This hypothetical "ANT" is exactly equivalent to saying that 1 is the unique multiplicative identity of the integers, and 0 is the unique additive identity, but both of those are axioms, not discoveries.) Further, the really "full"/"proper" definition of primes comes from ring theory (or even more strictly the theory of ideals), where the whole effort of trying to talk about "primes for addition" becomes akin to "triangles but for two points"-- that is, a non-entity.