PDA

View Full Version : How to help break a vampire's charm?

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-08-29, 12:43 AM
If a party member has been charmed by a vampire, besides waiting out the 24 hours, what can the party do to help end that charm?

I ASSUME dispelling magic doesn't work because tbe charm is not a leveled spell.

The Bard's Countercharm feature seems unlikely to help unless the vampire harms the charmed person that round.

What else can be done?

Envyus
2019-08-29, 01:00 AM
I ASSUME dispelling magic doesn't work because tbe charm is not a leveled spell.

Dispel magic also works on magical effects. Which this counts as.

JackPhoenix
2019-08-29, 02:21 AM
Dispel magic also works on magical effects. Which this counts as.

Dispel Magic only works on spells.

Banishing either the victim or the vampire (even for a turn) ends the charm effect.

Contrast
2019-08-29, 02:48 AM

I mean it says it ends magical effects and goes on to explain how it interacts with certain levels of spell. My tables have certainly not interpreted that to mean it can only work on spells but that if you're trying to end a magical effect that isn't a spell the DM usually decides that sort of 'level' the magical effect you're trying to end is.

You could walk into a devotion paladins aura. Or a berserker barbarian could rage. I would probably let you try and trump the charm with another charm effect though that's not really supported rules wise. Greater Restoration would work.

I actually got charmed as a monk once and there was a bit of an argument - if the vampire kept asking me to do things that required using my action, could I therefore not activate Stillness of Mind because I never had an action free?

JackPhoenix
2019-08-29, 03:20 AM
I mean it says it ends magical effects and goes on to explain how it interacts with certain levels of spell. My tables have certainly not interpreted that to mean it can only work on spells but that if you're trying to end a magical effect that isn't a spell the DM usually decides that sort of 'level' the magical effect you're trying to end is.

It doesn't say it ends magical effects. Re-read the description.

You can TARGET magical effect (or a creature, or an object). "Magical effect", in this case, means things like Wall of Fire, which is neither object or creature. Any *spell* on the target (given the proper level) ends. If there's no spell active on the target (or you fail the check), nothing happens.

Vampire's charm is not a spell. Dispel Magic does nothing to creature affected by it.

clash
2019-08-29, 09:20 AM
Protection from Evil and Good can prevent it and give advantage on any repeat saves if they are already charmed.

saucerhead
2019-08-29, 10:06 AM
Prot:Evil & Good will prevent charm and give advantage on further saves, but I don't think it stops the charmed condition, does it?

EDIT: Dispel Evil & Good is probably what you are looking for, but it is 5th level and would obviously depend on the level of your group.

clash
2019-08-29, 10:37 AM
Prot:Evil & Good will prevent charm and give advantage on further saves, but I don't think it stops the charmed condition, does it?

EDIT: Dispel Evil & Good is probably what you are looking for, but it is 5th level and would obviously depend on the level of your group.

Yep I meant prevent not stop. Fixed

Zalabim
2019-08-29, 10:05 PM
Calm Emotions can suppress the effect (for up to a minute) which might be enough to find a permanent solution.

Zuras
2019-08-29, 10:20 PM
Moving the vampire or the charmed target to another plane of existence breaks the charm. This means banishment, a warlock hurling the vampire through hell, or even grappling the charmed pc and throwing them in a Portable Hole can break the charm.

Greater Restoration and Dispel Good and Evil will end charm effects automatically.

If you are in combat, any time the vampire or an ally attacks the charmed PC they get another save, so features that force enemies to target other creatures (like Drunken Master) can force a new save. Illusions could also work to draw enemy attacks to a charmed victim.

Moving to a hallowed area will also break the charm, so in Tier 4 you can just use Wish to cast Hallow in a single action and un-charm everyone at once. Probably not practical for most situations though.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-08-30, 06:50 AM
Moving the vampire or the charmed target to another plane of existence breaks the charm. This means banishment, a warlock hurling the vampire through hell, or even grappling the charmed pc and throwing them in a Portable Hole can break the charm.

Greater Restoration and Dispel Good and Evil will end charm effects automatically.

If you are in combat, any time the vampire or an ally attacks the charmed PC they get another save, so features that force enemies to target other creatures (like Drunken Master) can force a new save. Illusions could also work to draw enemy attacks to a charmed victim.

Moving to a hallowed area will also break the charm, so in Tier 4 you can just use Wish to cast Hallow in a single action and un-charm everyone at once. Probably not practical for most situations though.

"Each time the vampire or the vampire's companions do anything harmful to the target, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success. Otherwise, the effect lasts 24 hours or until the vampire is destroyed, is on a different plane of existence than the target, or takes a bonus action to end the effect."

I thought I played in a game where damage from players caused the save chance. Assuming I copied correctly the verbiage above makes me think only of the vampire bites the victim does he/she get to save.

Also, this specific vs general thing confuses me. This description says otherwise and gives a couple specific examples of how this charm can be broken. None mention spells. IMO the game is better if Greater Restoration breaks the charm. The Cleric in the party I'm DMing has it lol.

Sigreid
2019-08-30, 06:56 AM
Killing the vampire aught to do it.

Zuras
2019-08-30, 08:10 AM
"Each time the vampire or the vampire's companions do anything harmful to the target, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success. Otherwise, the effect lasts 24 hours or until the vampire is destroyed, is on a different plane of existence than the target, or takes a bonus action to end the effect."

I thought I played in a game where damage from players caused the save chance. Assuming I copied correctly the verbiage above makes me think only of the vampire bites the victim does he/she get to save.

Also, this specific vs general thing confuses me. This description says otherwise and gives a couple specific examples of how this charm can be broken. None mention spells. IMO the game is better if Greater Restoration breaks the charm. The Cleric in the party I'm DMing has it lol.

The Greater Restoration Spell specifies it breaks charms in its spell description.

MrStabby
2019-08-30, 08:13 AM

Banishing either the victim or the vampire (even for a turn) ends the charm effect.

No, there are other magical effects it stops e.g. animated armour in the Monster Manual.

JackPhoenix
2019-08-30, 11:57 AM
No, there are other magical effects it stops e.g. animated armour in the Monster Manual.

First, animated armor is a creature, not a magical effect.
Second, that's a specific vulnerability of that creature, and it doesn't set precedent for anything else. Just like Wall of Force being immune to Dispel Magic doesn't apply to any other magical effect.

sithlordnergal
2019-08-30, 12:35 PM
Yeah, Vampire charms are pretty dangerous. One player ended up getting charmed by a vampire frog in a game I ran. The Frog chose to grapple them once, and they failed to break free of the Charm, so the player played it off as their character willingly letting the vampire grapple them. I then dragged the player underwater to drown them. They were a spell caster, so they couldn't really cast anything as the vampire dragged them into the depths.

They did end up surviving in the end, but it was very close.