PDA

View Full Version : is OOTS #1177 the final panel of 'Utterly Dwarved'?...

wolph42
2019-08-29, 02:22 AM
...cause it sure as Hell looks like that :smallcool: Place your bets, questimations, suggestions, comments, remarks, thoughts on this!

Rrmcklin
2019-08-29, 02:23 AM
No? Why would it be?

RatElemental
2019-08-29, 02:38 AM
There was no panel telling us oots would return in a few months, so I doubt it. Books tend (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0946.html) to (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0672.html) be (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html) punctuated like that ever since war and xp.

Quebbster
2019-08-29, 02:59 AM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0936.html) wasn't the last strip of Blood runs in the family, it feels similar this time. We are probaly done with the gods right now, but there are still loose ends to tie up on the mortal plane.

Schroeswald
2019-08-29, 06:14 AM
Yeah, we'll probably see Durkon grabbed and placed on the Mechane, stone or human, us saying goodbye to Hilgya and Curly, the heroes saying goodbye to Durkon's family, <crosses fingers>Minrah deciding to get on the Methane to help the Order, and a small look at Team Evil, all covered in about ten pages.

Quebbster
2019-08-29, 07:47 AM
Yeah, we'll probably see Durkon grabbed and placed on the Mechane, stone or human, us saying goodbye to Hilgya and Curly, the heroes saying goodbye to Durkon's family, <crosses fingers>Minrah deciding to get on the Methane to help the Order, and a small look at Team Evil, all covered in about ten pages.

I don't really see Minrah as likely to start huffing gas. She might decide to lead a rescue expedition to get not-Thad off the infinite slope though.

Schroeswald
2019-08-29, 07:53 AM
I don't really see Minrah as likely to start huffing gas. She might decide to lead a rescue expedition to get not-Thad off the infinite slope though.

Stupid autocorrect not letting me type Mechane, it’s evil I tell you.

Quebbster
2019-08-29, 08:04 AM
Stupid autocorrect not letting me type Mechane, it’s evil I tell you.

And hilarious. :)

Schroeswald
2019-08-29, 08:08 AM
And hilarious. :)

It’s like Belkar and Xykon in that way.

Peelee
2019-08-29, 08:18 AM

Depends on the gas, I hear she inhales a whole lot of nitrogen on a daily basis.

Schroeswald
2019-08-29, 08:27 AM
Depends on the gas, I hear she inhales a whole lot of nitrogen on a daily basis.

Oxygen too.

Peelee
2019-08-29, 08:40 AM
Oxygen too.

That's powerful stuff, easy to get addicted to. I hear withdrawals are a killer.

wolph42
2019-08-29, 11:00 AM
'why', well, because:
1. Rich announced that utterly dwarved was not finished when the pre order was anounced, but foresaw the panels that were required and expected them to be ready this year in time.
2. it 'feels' like an ending of the story arc...although there are indeed a couple of loose ends
3. as Quebster mentioned: its roughly a similar ending as in Blood runs in the family

however its true that it does not state that oots will be back in a in a few months...so its possible that it indeed isn't the last panel...but then again, its not required to take a break in a break... hence the speculation here...

woweedd
2019-08-29, 11:02 AM
'why', well, because:
1. Rich announced that utterly dwarved was not finished when the pre order was anounced, but foresaw the panels that were required and expected them to be ready this year in time.
2. it 'feels' like an ending of the story arc...although there are indeed a couple of loose ends
3. as Quebster mentioned: its roughly a similar ending as in Blood runs in the family

however its true that it does not state that oots will be back in a in a few months...so its possible that it indeed isn't the last panel...but then again, its not required to take a break in a break... hence the speculation here...

...Quebster's point was that it feels simaller to a comic some peppole THOUGHT was the end of BRITF, but was not.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-08-29, 11:11 AM
More to the point, we know how big the book will be from the pre-order data and Rich has given us a breakdown. There's about 10 pages of story left.

I mean, it's not like we obsessively count these things (oh, wait, we do, and in multiple threads at that).

deworde
2019-08-29, 11:14 AM
Note that the whole point of #936 is that it is the ending from Tarquin's perspective. And from his perspective, it's terrible, because it sidelines him. But it's not the real ending, because the real ending is the cliffhanger that Durkon is actually Greg.

I think #1177 is not so much the final panel of Utterly Dwarved as it is the final panel with any of the Gods involved. It's Thor's ending for this story, hence him restoring the focus to where it belongs, Dur(oc)kon with his final line.

NerdyKris
2019-08-29, 11:24 AM
I think #1177 is not so much the final panel of Utterly Dwarved as it is the final panel with any of the Gods involved. It's Thor's ending for this story, hence him restoring the focus to where it belongs, Dur(oc)kon with his final line.

Well, we're going to need at least one comic mentioning what's happening at the Godsmoot, even if it's just "we're stuck here until the Dwarves finish their vote, which coincidentally probably won't happen until after the Snarl is dealt with anyways".

And there's the matter of the runaway vampire cleric of Hel. Having two clerics capable of starting a church and gaining worshipers solves Hel's biggest problem, so we're likely to see a panel addressing that by having her escape.

Peelee
2019-08-29, 11:41 AM
Well, we're going to need at least one comic mentioning what's happening at the Godsmoot, even if it's just "we're stuck here until the Dwarves finish their vote, which coincidentally probably won't happen until after the Snarl is dealt with anyways".

I don't see why, since that's already the case; Godsmoot doesn't end until Dvalin votes, Dvalin doesn't vote until the Council of Elders finishes their vote, Council of Elders can't finish their vote yet. Everything is on hold until that happens, and the Godsmoot priests have snacks.

woweedd
2019-08-29, 11:47 AM

And there's the matter of the runaway vampire cleric of Hel. Having two clerics capable of starting a church and gaining worshipers solves Hel's biggest problem, so we're likely to see a panel addressing that by having her escape.
Hel can still only have undead as Clerics.

Rrmcklin
2019-08-29, 11:51 AM

Has it not already been established that Minrah is too weak to help against Team Evil? Even if she went she'd just be staying on the ship.

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-08-29, 12:01 PM
Hel can still only have undead as Clerics.

But she can have non-undead worshipers. Which she might be able to now obtain thanks to having undead clerics. And high-enough clerics could create more clerics, via necromantic spells, that won't involve them personally murdering anyone (it would require some kind of dead body, mind you, what it being necromancy, but they need not have killed it themselves).

Has it not already been established that Minrah is too weak to help against Team Evil? Even if she went she'd just be staying on the ship.

We've also established that the OotS is not about to deny her the chance to try, even if it ends up killing her again.

Grey Wolf

Schroeswald
2019-08-29, 12:19 PM

Quite frankly, so? The crew of the Mechane probably aren’t much higher level, neither was the order in Book 1, she can level up to get higher and most importantly, I want her to stay in the plot, and that overrules everything. And what Grey Wolf said.

BasiliskSoldier
2019-08-29, 12:27 PM
Yeah, all of this, about a dozen strips in this book to go.

That's enough time to tie up all the loose ends from this book, and have a final big moment to tease Book 7.

Jasdoif
2019-08-29, 12:28 PM
Quite frankly, so? The crew of the Mechane probably aren’t much higher level, neither was the order in Book 1, she can level up to get higher and most importantly, I want her to stay in the plot, and that overrules everything. And what Grey Wolf said.If you want her to stay in the plot, you should come with a reason she'd benefit the plot. Like how being too weak to pose a threat to Redcloak means Redcloak is less likely to treat her as a threat, how she hasn't killed any goblins (that we/Redcloak know of) means he's less likely to kill her out of spite, and she was there for all the stuff Thor told Durkon about convincing Redcloak to help with the rifts; so if Redcloak won't listen to Durkon, he might listen to Minrah.

KorvinStarmast
2019-08-29, 01:05 PM
so if Redcloak won't listen to Durkon, he might listen to Minrah. He might, at that, but getting there won't be simple. A lot of dominos have to fall.

It took 185 strips (some of them doubled) to go from Durkon revealed as Hel's High priest (last panel of book V) to defeating Durkula. (stake to the heart)

We are now 40 strips into cleaning up afterwards since Hel's back up plan with the Exarch had to be thwarted. Now the Sigdi/Hilgya/Kudzu tension was presented. (So a few strips to resolve that seem to be pending) which I see as an analogue to the Haley and Ian thing as BRiTF began to close out

Schroeswald
2019-08-29, 01:09 PM
If you want her to stay in the plot, you should come with a reason she'd benefit the plot. Like how being too weak to pose a threat to Redcloak means Redcloak is less likely to treat her as a threat, how she hasn't killed any goblins (that we/Redcloak know of) means he's less likely to kill her out of spite, and she was there for all the stuff Thor told Durkon about convincing Redcloak to help with the rifts; so if Redcloak won't listen to Durkon, he might listen to Minrah.

Yeah, but I’m not really trying to convince anyone, I just like her and want to see more of her. My reasoning for actually thinking this will happen is much more Doylist, she’s had a lot of page time and development (meaning we know her character, she hasn’t changed all that much), but she hasn’t done all that much, either in having a subplot or for the main plot, making it seem likely she has a future in the plot.

Rrmcklin
2019-08-29, 01:55 PM
We've also established that the OotS is not about to deny her the chance to try, even if it ends up killing her again.

Grey Wolf

I mean, I don't really think her establishing she doesn't want to stay dead because she wants to lead a full life and things she can still do good would be the same as her asking or wanting to accompany them for the rest of their journey.

Quite frankly, so? The crew of the Mechane probably aren’t much higher level, neither was the order in Book 1, she can level up to get higher and most importantly, I want her to stay in the plot, and that overrules everything. And what Grey Wolf said.

I mean, is it actually her "staying in the plot" if she's just on the Mechane doing nothing? Or do you expect those guys to just stay relevant for the rest of the series? Because I haven't had that read on them at all.

I also highly disagree with desires like that overruling everything else, but I'm not going to get deeper into that.

Yeah, but I’m not really trying to convince anyone, I just like her and want to see more of her. My reasoning for actually thinking this will happen is much more Doylist, she’s had a lot of page time and development (meaning we know her character, she hasn’t changed all that much), but she hasn’t done all that much, either in having a subplot or for the main plot, making it seem likely she has a future in the plot.

I mean, in that case I still feel like "actual reason for character to be there" is important. Wouldn't that just make it better?

But as far as that Doylist reasoning you're using goes, I don't think that works very well for this story, either. It just seems to me that sometimes the Giant fleshes out characters because he likes fleshing out characters to make the world more real. And then people go "that means this person is sticking around/important!" and sometimes they are, but other times, not so much. He's on record as thinking that Conservation of Detail (that is, only including things because they're ultimately important to the actual narrative) is overrated.

I say all of this, but I don't have anything against Minrah and have found her role in the story interesting so far. I just don't think it's being set up to be expanded upon. Could be wrong, obviously.

factotum
2019-08-29, 03:03 PM
That's powerful stuff, easy to get addicted to. I hear withdrawals are a killer.

As are overdoses...

Lord Torath
2019-08-29, 03:28 PM
'why', well, because:

however its true that it does not state that oots will be back in a in a few months...so its possible that it indeed isn't the last panel...but then again, its not required to take a break in a break... hence the speculation here...We're still missing the denouement, which, as Elan will tell you (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0670.html), is rather important.

As others have said, there are still loose ends that need tidying up before the book can end.

Many types of gases are scary (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0457.html).

RatElemental
2019-08-29, 07:56 PM
I already have some quatloos on it, but I feel I must reiterate that I think this book will end with team evil finding the gate to act as a cliffhanger for the next one.

Alternately we might get some more info on the world in the rift.

Squire Doodad
2019-08-29, 08:18 PM
I already have some quatloos on it, but I feel I must reiterate that I think this book will end with team evil finding the gate to act as a cliffhanger for the next one.

Alternately we might get some more info on the world in the rift.

The bet is for 5 pages of Team Evil, I think. Wouldn't work if it isn't Team Evil related though.

RatElemental
2019-08-29, 08:40 PM
The bet is for 5 pages of Team Evil, I think. Wouldn't work if it isn't Team Evil related though.

I'm less confident about the 5 pages at this point, but I still think it'll end with team evil finding the gate. Just might not get those sweet, sweet fake points. :smalltongue:

Only mentioned the world in the rift as one of the few things I can think of this whole thing ending on that would make sense beside the gate thing.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-08-29, 11:46 PM
Somehow, I expect something less drastic. Maybe a big extended family (with new members!) dinner at Sigdi's, before the Order rides to the Final BattleTM.

factotum
2019-08-30, 01:32 AM
I'm less confident about the 5 pages at this point, but I still think it'll end with team evil finding the gate. Just might not get those sweet, sweet fake points. :smalltongue:

I don't think Team Evil will find the Gate until the Order get there myself, but we'll see.

BasiliskSoldier
2019-08-30, 01:41 AM
Durkon getting unstoned feels like something that can happen next strip (and conveniently be a bit of a time skip). The plotline with Durkon's family can be tied up within a few strips (big family dinner sounds like a good way to do it). I am inclined to say that Hilgya won't be a major recurring character going forwards, so most of her outstanding stuff probably gets resolved in the next few strips. Establish that the Godsmoot is still ongoing, and all the high level priests have their hands tied. Then the Order re-unites with the Mechane and heads onward to the pole, cut to Team Evil, something ominous happens and boom cliffhanger. That all fits into 10 pages pretty easily.

I'm not sure if Minrah will stick around. I think it'd be pretty easy to write her out, there's a loose vampire running about after all that someone should deal with, but I could also see her staying on as a secondary character going forward into Book 7.

I've also been predicting the vampire hosts getting raised, since raising dwarves to save their souls from Hel was already a thing, and it might be nice to parallel that at the end of the book. Plus, it'd be a good moment. But I could just as easily see that not happening

I think the big question is: What is the cliffhanger going to be?

Because there has to be at least one. Maybe the chekhov's gun that is Right-Eye's daughter finally goes off. Maybe there's some big reveal about the gates or the snarl. Maybe Team Evil just finds the last gate. Up until the latest strip I was betting on Loki, Rat and Tiamat being revealed to be working with the Dark One, and the plan is much grander than previously thought, but 1177 seems to sink that theory, and honestly it probably would have felt like a repeat of the last cliffhanger.

Quebbster
2019-08-30, 03:51 AM
I don't think Team Evil will find the Gate until the Order get there myself, but we'll see.

It's been established that the Gate ritual takes a few weeks to complete (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0416.html), so Team Evil finding the Gate would create a sense of urgency in the story, not end it. There's time for the Order to get there Before the ritual is finished.
Not saying you are wrong though. Just that I feel it would be an appropriate way to end the book. The Giant has managed to surprise me many times though...

hroþila
2019-08-30, 05:42 AM
I agree with Team Evil finding the gate right at the end of this book. I've been betting on this for years so if it doesn't happen I'll be upset or something (?).

Schroeswald
2019-08-30, 06:46 AM
Durkon getting unstoned feels like something that can happen next strip (and conveniently be a bit of a time skip). The plotline with Durkon's family can be tied up within a few strips (big family dinner sounds like a good way to do it). I am inclined to say that Hilgya won't be a major recurring character going forwards, so most of her outstanding stuff probably gets resolved in the next few strips. Establish that the Godsmoot is still ongoing, and all the high level priests have their hands tied. Then the Order re-unites with the Mechane and heads onward to the pole, cut to Team Evil, something ominous happens and boom cliffhanger. That all fits into 10 pages pretty easily.

I'm not sure if Minrah will stick around. I think it'd be pretty easy to write her out, there's a loose vampire running about after all that someone should deal with, but I could also see her staying on as a secondary character going forward into Book 7.

I've also been predicting the vampire hosts getting raised, since raising dwarves to save their souls from Hel was already a thing, and it might be nice to parallel that at the end of the book. Plus, it'd be a good moment. But I could just as easily see that not happening

I think the big question is: What is the cliffhanger going to be?

Because there has to be at least one. Maybe the chekhov's gun that is Right-Eye's daughter finally goes off. Maybe there's some big reveal about the gates or the snarl. Maybe Team Evil just finds the last gate. Up until the latest strip I was betting on Loki, Rat and Tiamat being revealed to be working with the Dark One, and the plan is much grander than previously thought, but 1177 seems to sink that theory, and honestly it probably would have felt like a repeat of the last cliffhanger.
(Emphasis mine)
I know! We’ll switch to Team Evil and discover that Lien is Redcloak’s niece!

BasiliskSoldier
2019-08-30, 11:16 AM
I know! We’ll switch to Team Evil and discover that Lien is Redcloak’s niece!

Of course! It's so obvious!

In all seriousness, Right-Eye's daughter is going to show up again. If she's revealed to have been an established character the whole time, I would be extremely surprised and also light a couple dollars, but she's going to show up in some capacity. You don't put that card on the table and not play it. Same for the enchantment on the MiTD and the Gem containing the souls of Lirian and Dorukan.

If she's going to be a significant character next book, her introduction could work as part of the ending of this book (though my bet is personally on Team Evil finding the gate). Of course it's possible she won't get introduced until later, and it's possible she isn't even a significant character, but at some point in the main story we will meet her. I'm confident about that

Ruck
2019-08-30, 11:48 AM
You don't put that card on the table and not play it.

He's on record as thinking that Conservation of Detail (that is, only including things because they're ultimately important to the actual narrative) is overrated.

Jasdoif
2019-08-30, 11:53 AM
He's on record as thinking that Conservation of Detail (that is, only including things because they're ultimately important to the actual narrative) is overrated.Specifically, in relation to #571 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0571.html):

The lizardfolk details are world-building, not foreshadowing. It's the first clue that in part of this world (the part that the Oracle hails from), lizardfolk can be civilized businesspeople engaged in long-term contracts, as opposed to most D&D worlds where they run around in swamps with crude spears. It's a sneak peak at what the Western Continent will look like when we get there: half human, half reptilian. That's it.

The Oracle says, "Say hello to your boss for me," because it's small talk, and he's being friendly. Given that the Oracle is usually a jackass, this in turn reveals something about his personality: He is friendly and jovial to fellow reptilians, but not to mammals.

In other words, Conservation of Detail is overrated.

Schroeswald
2019-08-30, 12:09 PM
I mean, in that case I still feel like "actual reason for character to be there" is important. Wouldn't that just make it better?

But as far as that Doylist reasoning you're using goes, I don't think that works very well for this story, either. It just seems to me that sometimes the Giant fleshes out characters because he likes fleshing out characters to make the world more real. And then people go "that means this person is sticking around/important!" and sometimes they are, but other times, not so much. He's on record as thinking that Conservation of Detail (that is, only including things because they're ultimately important to the actual narrative) is overrated.

I say all of this, but I don't have anything against Minrah and have found her role in the story interesting so far. I just don't think it's being set up to be expanded upon. Could be wrong, obviously.

I do recognize that Conservation of Detail is overrated, and if the Giant was following Conservation of Detail I'd be saying that Bandana and Andi had too much page time for what they did, but I disagree with that. Minrah's development is more so than most more plot relevant characters, yet she hasn't even really had a sub-plot, I wouldn't be all that surprised if her last appearance is very soon, but she'll be surpassing Z in appearances pretty soon, and thats a lot of appearances for not even having a subplot (Besides the being amazing thing), also the "Conservation of detail is overrated" thing was about a throwaway line, not an entire major character. As for having an actual reason, I don't expect her to not have a reason, I just don't know what the reason is, I also expect Sabine (and Thog) to return and my only expectation for what she'll do is "something for the IFCC", which is only a bit less vague than what I expect Minrah to do ("something on the Mechane/journey to the North Pole").

Peelee
2019-08-30, 01:21 PM
You don't put that card on the table and not play it.
There's something omitted from the quotes on conservation of detail that I think may well apply here as well:

I love the certainty expressed here.

RatElemental
2019-08-30, 01:41 PM

But why though? They all died honorably in battle against a vampire.

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-08-30, 02:04 PM
I mean, I don't really think her establishing she doesn't want to stay dead because she wants to lead a full life and things she can still do good would be the same as her asking or wanting to accompany them for the rest of their journey.

I am not suggesting she will want to accompany them. I am merely pointing out that Roy has already decided that he's not going to refuse help (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1099.html). "She goes along" is a valid possibility. "She stays behind of her own volition" is too. "She wants to go and Roy tells her no" seems a bit harder to match with Roy's views (although I also cannot discount him changing his mind, mind you).

Grey Wolf

D.One
2019-08-30, 03:01 PM
If they really leave without the council vote being complete, I can see her staying to help against any remaining vampires (we know there's only Curly*, the Brave, but they don't and we may be wrong)

BasiliskSoldier
2019-08-30, 04:11 PM
There's something omitted from the quotes on conservation of detail that I think may well apply here as well:

That's fair.

But I think this is different. Redcloak and his potential heel–face turn is setup to be a focal point for Book 7, his family is almost certainly going to play into it, and Start of Darkness made a point of establishing that Redcloak only has one living relative when it easily could have killed off Right-Eye's entire family. Conservation of Detail is massively overrated, but Redcloak having a niece who was sent away for her safety and hasn't been seen since is not exactly a minor detail. That's a setup.

None of the OOTS really know about Redcloak's history, or that much about his motives. The audience knows, but the characters don't really. If only there was some sort of character with a familial connection to Redcloak, who might be able to fill in some of those holes in the Order's knowledge, while at the same time having a potentially interesting dynamic both because of what Redcloak has done and because as a Goblin raised outside of Goblin culture she might have a different, contrasting perspective, while also representing a classic DnD archetype (good alignment monster race adventurer) that has thus far been surprisingly absent from the comic.

Peelee
2019-08-30, 04:27 PM
That's fair.

But I think this is different. Redcloak and his potential heel–face turn is setup to be a focal point for Book 7, his family is almost certainly going to play into it, and Start of Darkness made a point of establishing that Redcloak only has one living relative when it easily could have killed off Right-Eye's entire family. Conservation of Detail is massively overrated, but Redcloak having a niece who was sent away for her safety and hasn't been seen since is not exactly a minor detail. That's a setup.

There's a hitch, though: she's in a paid, print-only source that is explicitly not required to enjoy the main comic. She's a supplemental story character. That's not to say she definitely won't show up again, but it is a hurdle to cross for the "she will" argument, and no insignificant hurdle either; the closer the story gets to the end, the more out of nowhere it would seem to come for online-only readers. And we're nearly at the final book.

Fyraltari
2019-08-30, 04:34 PM
There's a hitch, though: she's in a paid, print-only source that is explicitly not required to enjoy the main comic. She's a supplemental story character. That's not to say she definitely won't show up again, but it is a hurdle to cross for the "she will" argument, and no insignificant hurdle either; the closer the story gets to the end, the more out of nowhere it would seem to come for online-only readers. And we're nearly at the final book.

Durkon's prophecy was first mentionned in a paid source that's explicitly not required to enjoy the main comic* but that didn't stop it from appearing in comic number one thousand and ninety six.

The Giant is on record that:
A) he writes everything too long and
B) the seventh book may look like a phonebook.

*Print-only? My Start of Darkness PDF says otherwise.

Peelee
2019-08-30, 04:39 PM
Durkon's prophecy was first mentionned in a paid source that's explicitly not required to enjoy the main comic* but that didn't stop it from appearing in comic number one thousand and ninety six.

I didn't say that meant it wouldn't happen, I said it was a hurdle.

*Print-only? My Start of Darkness PDF says otherwise.
Doesn't that stand for Printed Digitally Format?:smallamused: I can also do mental gymnastics with the word "document" if you wish!

Fyraltari
2019-08-30, 04:42 PM
Doesn't that stand for Printed Digitally Format?:smallamused: I can also do mental gymnastics with the word "document" if you wish!

Adjective-adverb-noun? You can do better than that, Peelee.

Peelee
2019-08-30, 04:45 PM
Adjective-adverb-noun? You can do better than that, Peelee.

Printed Digitally, Formatted?

Fyraltari
2019-08-30, 04:51 PM
Printed Digitally, Formatted?

Printed and Digitally Formatted.

Re: Redcloak's niece. The online comic has made several refereces to Right-Eye, and given Durkon's newfound holy mission, I am 90% certain Book 7 will feature flashbacks to the brothers' story. Would be a good point to introduce the niece.

I am unsure what role she would play but I do find it weird that the Giant decided that all of Right-Eye's family would die except one and never bring that one up afterwards.

BasiliskSoldier
2019-08-30, 04:58 PM

I agree, for what it's worth.

But, Start of Darkness introduced a couple plot points in addition to Right-Eye's daughter, like the enchantment on the MiTD and the Soul Gem, and both of those are probably getting re-incorporated as well. Team Evil's been taking a back seat for two books, and once Book 7 starts spooling up I think we're going to see those loose threads from SoD start getting incorporated into the main comic as they get brought back into the limelight.

I personally don't think she'll show up until early in Book 7, but Book 6 is probably going to end on a big cliffhanger reveal (akin to the Planet in the Rifts or the High Priest of Hel) and I think she'd be a potential candidate, even if there's some I think are more likely, like Team Evil finding the last gate.

I am unsure what role she would play but I do find it weird that the Giant decided that all of Right-Eye's family would die except one and never bring that one up afterwards.

Exposition, is the obvious one. Someone needs to tell the Order about Redcloak's origins, and she's the best candidate in my mind. Her understanding won't be perfect, (because Right-Eye sent her away when she was extremely young) but she'll probably have remembered stories and learned a bit on her own initiative since then, which will probably be good enough.

Also, some part to play in the Order's attempts to redeem Redcloak. She'll probably have been raised by humans, and would probably have a different PoV on how to reach a better future for the Goblin people. Might work decently as a counter-argument to redcloak's perspective. She'd probably have a grudge against Redcloak and desire to avenge the deaths of her family, which could conflict with the Order's need for Redcloak to switch teams. I also think Redcloak's going to have to face the same decision he made with Right-Eye, kill a family member or abandon the plan.

I'm also hoping she's a Paladin. Because I think Redcloak would hate that.

Peelee
2019-08-30, 05:06 PM
Printed and Digitally Formatted.
Yes, that is what I said up top. Also, I think it'll just be easier on both of us if you agree so I don't have to go and edit it while trying to divert attention away from the edit date by doin-LOOK OVER THERE IT'S A CIRCUS!

Re: Redcloak's niece. The online comic has made several refereces to Right-Eye, and given Durkon's newfound holy mission, I am 90% certain Book 7 will feature flashbacks to the brothers' story. Would be a good point to introduce the niece.
Good point. Counterpoint: How would Durkon find out or be able to use that information, though?

I agree, for what it's worth.

But, Start of Darkness introduced a couple plot points in addition to Right-Eye's daughter, like the enchantment on the MiTD and the Soul Gem, and both of those are probably getting re-incorporated as well. Team Evil's been taking a back seat for two books, and once Book 7 starts spooling up I think we're going to see those loose threads from SoD start getting incorporated into the main comic as they get brought back into the limelight.

I personally don't think she'll show up until early in Book 7, but Book 6 is probably going to end on a big cliffhanger reveal (akin to the Planet in the Rifts or the High Priest of Hel) and I think she'd be a potential candidate, even if there's some I think are more likely, like Team Evil finding the last gate.

How long ago was all that, anyway? I had a while thing going on how goblins are very short-lived and Reddie gets around that thanks to the Crimson Mantle but I think I remember it not being terribly long before battling Dorukan, which would put it around a year and a half to two years.

Also, isn't she being raised by humans? Assuming your prediction is correct, do you have any ideas on how that might play into it?

Squire Doodad
2019-08-30, 05:15 PM

"Listen to me young miss, you will unleash untold hyper-deific terror on the world and doom us all, and you will LIKE it!"

Fyraltari
2019-08-30, 05:16 PM
Yes, that is what I said up top. Also, I think it'll just be easier on both of us if you agree so I don't have to go and edit it while trying to divert attention away from the edit date by doin-LOOK OVER THERE IT'S A CIRCUS!
Do they have acrobats?

Good point. Counterpoint: How would Durkon find out or be able to use that information, though?
Find out? She shows up somehow. Use? As part of convincing Redcloak not to repeat his past mistakes.

How long ago was all that, anyway? I had a while thing going on how goblins are very short-lived and Reddie gets around that thanks to the Crimson Mantle but I think I remember it not being terribly long before battling Dorukan, which would put it around a year and a half to two years.
She was old enough to look childlike but make correct sentences (unlike Eric) "three years ago" in SoD so that must be around four years from now. I'm guessing she's a goblin teenager now. Hmm, that's younger than I thought.

Also, isn't she being raised by humans? Assuming your prediction is correct, do you have any ideas on how that might play into it?
"Humans - or worse! -..."
It might serve as another example of goblins and player races coexisting.

BasiliskSoldier
2019-08-30, 05:21 PM

Redcloak's Niece is probably the best source of exposition. Another set of crayon drawings as she tells the story from what she remembers of her father and what she's pieced together since then.

Three years before the start of the comic, another year having passed in comics time. So a little over four years. Since Goblins age rapidly, she's probably old enough to credibly be a low-level adventurer, but the timeline is tight.

As far as being raised by humans goes, she's probably got a good alignment and I suspect she'll be some sort of adventurer. Hoping for Paladin.

Schroeswald
2019-08-30, 05:35 PM
She was clearly Miko, I already told everyone this a few days ago.

Jasdoif
2019-08-30, 07:36 PM
I am unsure what role she would play but I do find it weird that the Giant decided that all of Right-Eye's family would die except one and never bring that one up afterwards.I can think of a pretty straightforward possible reason:

Right-Eye's talk about "consider what's best for the next generation" isn't purely in the abstract. His daughter is still out there, and he feels obligated to help her better than he did his wife and son...which comes back to why he'd put together such a drawn-out plan, and thus why he had everything he needed to pull it off (short of Redcloak's acceptance of it).
Of course, that remains true even if she does show up in some capacity. Or if she truly is Trigak, I suppose....

Yendor
2019-08-30, 11:49 PM
My theory on Redcloak's niece:
Right-eye sent her to the circus they used to visit. They were sufficiently tolerant to allow goblins around regularly, and it's a place where she wouldn't draw too much attention. It also fits the statement about her being raised by humans "or worse".

As for how she enters the story, my guess is she's now an assistant to a group of monster hunters, who will head to Kraagor's tomb looking for exotic creatures. There's one in particular which will be important: she'll recognize the Monster in the Darkness.

RatElemental
2019-08-31, 03:04 AM
Right-eye sent her to the circus they used to visit. They were sufficiently tolerant to allow goblins around regularly, and it's a place where she wouldn't draw too much attention. It also fits the statement about her being raised by humans "or worse".

As for how she enters the story, my guess is she's now an assistant to a group of monster hunters, who will head to Kraagor's tomb looking for exotic creatures. There's one in particular which will be important: she'll recognize the Monster in the Darkness.

That actually... makes a surprising amount of sense.

BasiliskSoldier
2019-08-31, 01:27 PM

I think it might be easier for her to just be tracking Redcloak (or maybe tracking down the Order because she found out about them going after Redcloak). It's not like she wouldn't have a reason.

I'd also guess on her wanting to kill Redcloak for what he's done to their family.

Peelee
2019-08-31, 01:46 PM
I'm slowly starting to come around to the idea that Recloak's niece may indeed come into the online comic by these arguments. Which is the worst thing that could happen to y'alls case, really, considering my track record on guessing what's going to happen in the comic.

Schroeswald
2019-08-31, 02:06 PM
I'm slowly starting to come around to the idea that Recloak's niece may indeed come into the online comic by these arguments. Which is the worst thing that could happen to y'alls case, really, considering my track record on guessing what's going to happen in the comic.
I've been convinced too, and I have never guessed anything correctly in any piece of media, ever.

Fyraltari
2019-08-31, 02:42 PM

Said the founder of the Church of the Sudden Skylight.

hroþila
2019-08-31, 02:48 PM
Before Hilgya showed up, whenever people theorized she might come back I was like "pfff, very unlikely, that would be pointless and self-indulgent", but then it happened and I was like "THIS IS PERFECT", so at this point I feel I should just embrace this theory with Redcloak's niece.

(Also, hopefully that would result in a few flashback panels with Right-Eye, and more Right-Eye would be awesome)

Squire Doodad
2019-08-31, 05:16 PM
I've been convinced too, and I have never guessed anything correctly in any piece of media, ever.

So what I'm hearing is, Murphy's Law is going to have a corollary to it soon?

Lexible
2019-09-01, 06:08 PM
But she can have non-undead worshipers.

Right? I mean, who else are angsty goth-emo adventurers going to worship? :smallwink:

Wizard_Lizard
2019-09-02, 04:42 AM
Right? I mean, who else are angsty goth-emo adventurers going to worship? :smallwink:

Lolth. Gruumsh. Literally any other death god.

Fyraltari
2019-09-02, 05:24 AM

Ioun? That seems right up her alley.

Emanick
2019-09-02, 02:05 PM
Lolth. Gruumsh. Literally any other death god.

Seems like there's only one Death god per pantheon, though - Lolth and Gruumsh don't exist in this world. And while it would be just like a teenage rebel to want to worship somebody from a foreign pantheon, I'm not positive that an average teenage peasant would learn about them in the first place.

I guess I could totally see the rebel Northern kids who do know about Nergal worshipping him, though, so you make a good point.

factotum
2019-09-03, 01:54 AM
Seems like there's only one Death god per pantheon, though - Lolth and Gruumsh don't exist in this world.

Can we be sure of that? If nothing else, we know Drow exist in this world (Zz'dtri) and they're usually depicted as worshipping Lolth, so I would think she exists in the Stickverse, even if it's as a demon rather than a full-blown goddess.

Emanick
2019-09-03, 02:01 AM
Can we be sure of that? If nothing else, we know Drow exist in this world (Zz'dtri) and they're usually depicted as worshipping Lolth, so I would think she exists in the Stickverse, even if it's as a demon rather than a full-blown goddess.
I guess it's possible that she exists as a non-deity, sure (or as an ascended elven deity, come to think of it). We seem to have confirmation that only Babylonian, Chinese and Norse gods canonically exist, excluding the ascended deities from this world, which is what I was going off of, but we certainly don't have evidence that Lolth doesn't exist as, say, a demon lord.

Squire Doodad
2019-09-03, 08:59 AM
I guess it's possible that she exists as a non-deity, sure (or as an ascended elven deity, come to think of it). We seem to have confirmation that only Babylonian, Chinese and Norse gods canonically exist, excluding the ascended deities from this world, which is what I was going off of, but we certainly don't have evidence that Lolth doesn't exist as, say, a demon lord.

I would guess that Lolth is from the Elven pantheon. Still Red quiddity, but it's fairly likely.

Ruck
2019-09-03, 11:29 AM
So as of today, the answer is officially "no," then.

Squire Doodad
2019-09-03, 01:58 PM
So as of today, the answer is officially "no," then.

But it might not be!

...if we have already started Book 7, in the middle of the resolution of book 6.

DavidSh
2019-09-03, 02:52 PM
If this were a new book, Janna would have said something like "break between books" rather than "chapter break".

Squire Doodad
2019-09-03, 02:54 PM
If this were a new book, Janna would have said something like "break between books" rather than "chapter break".

What is a book?
A pleasant pile of chapters!

woweedd
2019-09-04, 01:44 PM
What is a book?
A pleasant pile of chapters!
Not necessarily: Some don't have chapters and/or pleasantness.

CriticalFailure
2019-09-04, 02:43 PM

I thought I was crazy for thinking that she was sent to the circus, neat to see this theory has other adherents. It would make a lot of sense. Also think the idea that she’s either trying to track down Redcloak and/or Xykon because she knows or her family because she doesn’t know makes sense, those are the main two ways I can see her actually being in the story.

As for Hilgya, I think reading through from beginning to get reappearance as a new reader it’s much more implied she’ll come back with a kid because you don’t have years to forget about her.

Schroeswald
2019-09-04, 02:55 PM
Okay um, I definitely remember someone in this thread saying something about Right-Eye returning if his daughter does to show SoD stuff, and I can't find it but if anyone actually said that I'm responding to it.

I hope Redcloaka's niece is a paladin as others said above), trying to hunt down and kill Redcloak and Xykon. But I think it would be cool if his ghost if following her trying to say "no, don't do this, you need to give up on revenge" while she is all "no, I'll never", but then eventually she meets Roy, and Eugene's ghost is hanging around bored when he sees Right-Eye's ghost and we get a conversation between them, also a good way to get the online people (who unlike me don't read the forums and haven't had SoD spoiled for them) to discover what happened through exposition, and then you know, other plot stuff happens, Belkar dies mid-book.
And then she replaces Belkar in the Order for the rest of the comic.

Lord Torath
2019-09-04, 03:56 PM
[SPOILER]*snip*[\SPOILER]You, uh, got the wrong slash on your "end spoiler" tag. You want the forward slash "/", not the back slash. Your spoiler is just kind hanging out there, for all to see. :smallredface:

Kantaki
2019-09-04, 04:02 PM
You, uh, got the wrong slash on your "end spoiler" tag. You want the forward slash "/", not the back slash. Your spoiler is just kind hanging out there, for all to see. :smallredface:

Well, at least CriticalFailure's living up to their name.:smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Squire Doodad
2019-09-04, 04:03 PM
Not necessarily: Some don't have chapters and/or pleasantness.

See, this is how people get wine glasses thrown in their faces. Like good old papa Richter.

Well, at least CriticalFailure's living up to their name.:smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

"They told me that a 1 was a Critical hit, right?"

CriticalFailure
2019-09-04, 04:33 PM
You, uh, got the wrong slash on your "end spoiler" tag. You want the forward slash "/", not the back slash. Your spoiler is just kind hanging out there, for all to see. :smallredface:

Sorry, I always forget it's the other one for that.

As always! :)