PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Feat for magic item attunement - Which version?

Greywander
2019-08-29, 03:24 AM
So I was thinking about two different possibilities for a feat involving magic items. Simply allowing you to attune an extra item is kind of boring, and steps a bit on the artificer's toes (though not much). As such, I thought I'd try something a bit more interesting.

The intent is to give characters a reason to carry around more magic items than they can be attuned to. Characters who are styling themselves as collectors should enjoy this.

Option #1
You may spend time focusing on a magic item, forming a temporary attunement with that item that does not count against the number of magic items you may be attuned to. The length of this temporary attunement depends on how long you spend focusing on the item.
If you focus for 1 action, the temporary attunement lasts for 1 minute. (Note, this makes it viable in-combat. Maybe remove?)
If you focus for 1 minute, the temporary attunement lasts for 10 minutes.
If you focus for 10 minutes, the temporary attunement lasts for 1 hour.
If you focus for 1 hour, or as part of a short rest, the temporary attunement lasts for 8 hours.
If you focus for 8 hours, or as part of a long rest, the temporary attunement lasts for 24 hours.
If you attune yourself in this way to a cursed item, the attunement does not expire like it normally would. If you have less than three magic items attuned already, then that cursed item attunes normally, taking up one of your attunement slots. If you already have three magic items attuned to you, then you may not form any more temporary attunements until you unattune one of your magic items (or remove the curse).

What this option does is it allows you to keep three core items that you have attuned all the time, while carrying other items that are more situational. You attune to the item you need at the moment, but without dropping attunement from your core set of items. Note that since you can attune over a long rest and the attunement lasts for 24 hours, this more or less gives you one extra attunement slot.

Option #2
You have a special affinity for magic items, and can attune to them unusually quickly. You only need to spend 1 minute focusing on a magic item to attune to it. Furthermore, if you've been attuned to an item for at least 10 minutes, your connection to that item lingers on for 10 minutes after you cease to be attuned to that item, allowing you to benefit from that item as if you were still attuned. If you reattune to that item during this lingering period, you may do so as an action, and the attunement resumes as if it never ended.

This option lets you switch between items quickly, so unlike the above it isn't so much about adding on situational items on top of a core set, but rather switching out your entire loadout for a new situation. The lingering attunement does sort of allow you to maintain a core set of attuned items, if you want to, making it easy to switch to an item you need right now, then back to the previous item you were using.

The 1st option was one I'd thought up a while back, and the 2nd option came to me more recently. The 2nd option seems simpler and easier to handle. It's also more straightforward in how cursed items are handled (notably, it doesn't require any special rules for them, unlike the 1st option).

punctured spoon
2019-08-29, 08:17 PM
This is interesting I might have to steal this