PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Armor? AC/HP Tank Build (Pathfinder)

OGDojo
2019-08-29, 06:32 AM
so i found a newish book in pathfinder. "Path of War" and instantly became facinated with the "Warder" Class... so i built one
The only issue i'm having is finding a decent set of armor for it with a high AC.

Class: Warder level 1-20
Race: Human, Savant template LA+1
weapon: Huge Balanced Kusari-Gama (From OA 3.0)
Shield: Tower Shield (More AC basically)
Stats:
Str: 16
Dex: 16
Con: 16
Int: 28
Wis: 22
Cha: 14
Feats i know im taking at level 1
Monkey Grip,
ewp Kusarigama,
Combat Expertise,
Improved Trip,

Flaws:
Shakey
Inattentive

Feats i know i want at higher levels
Stand Still,
Hold the Line,
Step Up,
Press the wall,
Reach Defence,
Saving Shield,

Martial stances that matter are Iron Guards Glare from D&D 3.5 (Enemies in my threatened area take a -4 to attack anyone but me)
Abilities that matter is Armiger’s mark (struck opponents take a -4 to attack anyone but me)
((if you have any suggestions on good defense focused Martial stances and strikes let me know))

if you have any suggestions for a trip based ranged defender let me know, i wanna stick with the kusari-gama cuz its the best weapon i have found that does adjacent foes as well as ranged foes.

exelsisxax
2019-08-29, 12:54 PM
Full plate, that's it.

Are you aware that you're mixing 3.5, pathfinder, and third-party pathfinder? Because this build doesn't fly on almost any table.

OGDojo
2019-08-29, 01:39 PM
Full plate, that's it.

Are you aware that you're mixing 3.5, pathfinder, and third-party pathfinder? Because this build doesn't fly on almost any table.

yes i am aware, my group mixes all 3 because pathfinder and 3.5 are the same except a few minor differences like skills that you can unpack or fuse together also fullplate? and thats it?? even i know of Dwarven Mountain Plate which is better, or even mithral full plate, theres even ways to take apart different armors and use different pieces from different sets.

Maat Mons
2019-08-29, 04:58 PM
The Oriental Adventures version of kusari-gama is two handed. So I'm not sure how you're using it with a tower shield?

The 3.5 DMG version of kusari-gama is a light weapon. But this was either an editing mistake, or was written by someone who didn't know what a kusari-gama is. In any case, it's not the version you said you were using.

And the Pathfinder version of kusarigama (Ultimate Combat, p251) is right back to being two handed.

Spinning sword (Secrets of Sarlona, p136) is a reach+adjacent weapon you can use in one hand that was clearly actually meant to work like that. The only thing it lacks is the "trip" property. But Pathfinder lets you trip with weapons that don't have the "trip" property, so it doesn't really matter.

Thaalud Stone Armor (Anauroch: The Empire of Shade, p108) has a +12 armor bonus. You can add on Reinforced (Dragon 358 p42) for another +1 AC. Then throw on Halfweight (Underdark, p70) to make it eligible for an Armored Kilt, for another +1 AC.

Snowbluff
2019-08-29, 05:35 PM
You know, for added hilarity, you could dip Harbinger for their Claim ability, then take feats to but that. One of them, Dark Allure, gives claimed enemies a penalty to hit against people who aren't you, but there's also Dark Authority, which gives them the same penalty to hit you. There's also a feat to get THP when a claimed creature is dropped, and another to claim multiple creatures at once.

Fullplate is +9 in PF. It should be fine enough. I'd be more worried about your penalties to hit (for the tower shield and monkey grip) not doing much for your toughness. Probably take the Spinning Sword and take Stone Power/Martial Power instead.

OGDojo
2019-08-30, 12:00 AM
The Oriental Adventures version of kusari-gama is two handed. So I'm not sure how you're using it with a tower shield?

The 3.5 DMG version of kusari-gama is a light weapon. But this was either an editing mistake, or was written by someone who didn't know what a kusari-gama is. In any case, it's not the version you said you were using.

And the Pathfinder version of kusarigama (Ultimate Combat, p251) is right back to being two handed.

Spinning sword (Secrets of Sarlona, p136) is a reach+adjacent weapon you can use in one hand that was clearly actually meant to work like that. The only thing it lacks is the "trip" property. But Pathfinder lets you trip with weapons that don't have the "trip" property, so it doesn't really matter.

Thaalud Stone Armor (Anauroch: The Empire of Shade, p108) has a +12 armor bonus. You can add on Reinforced (Dragon 358 p42) for another +1 AC. Then throw on Halfweight (Underdark, p70) to make it eligible for an Armored Kilt, for another +1 AC.

Read the description of Kusarigama, it states that it can be used as a reach weapon in 1 hand.

Maat Mons
2019-08-30, 01:16 AM
No, it doesn't.

Railak
2019-08-30, 02:51 AM
He's actually right Diazo, page 73 of Oriental Adventures the kusarigama is a 2 handed weapon, and it never says anything about changing from a two handed weapon when you use it for reach.
The one on page 145 of the DMG has it listed as a light weapon, but again says nothing about handedness in the description, aside from being compared very much to a spiked chain.

Efrate
2019-08-30, 05:31 AM
Focus on iron tortoise and eternal guardian maneuvers from path of war. Read all of the stances and maneuvers before you worry too much about gear, the disciplines give you a lot. Mithril current also contributes to this in some ways but is much more feat and build intensive.