PDA

View Full Version : Sword type question

Pyramid Pug
2019-08-29, 07:02 AM
Bit of a silly musing, was doing research for some illustrations and I was wondering would a falcata be considered a longsword or a shortsword?

My research got me all fired up with ideas and I might take some for future DnD characters of mine.

nickl_2000
2019-08-29, 07:04 AM
In looking at picture and wikipedia it feels more like a Scimitar to me.

NNescio
2019-08-29, 07:15 AM
Scimitar. Actually the falcata (or some similar curved sword) was probably what TSR was thinking of ("crescent shaped swords" in OD&D) when they gave scimitar proficiency to Druids. The time and region also fit with (some) real-life druids. (Ignoring of course, that druids were not warriors and were more likely to use farming sickles as ritual implements instead of wielding actual weapons.)

If you want a 2H (or versatile) weapon, you might want to reflavor a longsword as a large falx instead. The falx is a similar weapon that is often conflated together with the falcata (which itself is a later coined misnomer of sorts that became entrenched when people in academic circles started using the word) anyway, except it came in bigger sizes (with hilts appropriate for two-handing, for the bigger ones).

Pyramid Pug
2019-08-29, 07:32 AM
Scimitar. Actually the falcata (or some similar curved sword) was probably what TSR was thinking of ("crescent shaped swords" in OD&D) when they gave scimitar proficiency to Druids. The time and region also fit with (some) real-life druids. (Ignoring of course, that druids were not warriors and were more likely to use sickles as ritual implements instead of wielding actual weapons.)

Yeah, that came about because I wanted to introduce folklore elements from my country to my illustrations so I was researching traditional dresses, costumes, fighting styles, etc, which led to my question about the falcata.

On a side note now that you mention that bit about the sickles, I found an awesome tidbit I wasn't aware. We have a fighting style using staffs, it's our national martial art as it was developed by common folks like shepherds (like in so many other countries). Now the staff has an interesting bit in that you can detach the bottom part to reveal a hidden blade, like a dagger, for very close quarters (the fighting style revolves around facing multiple opponents at the same time and keeping them at bay).

What I DIDN'T know is that the original staffs used by the farmers and herders actually used a sickle with a hollow handle that could fit and lock to the end of the staff, which makes sense as it's a more practical way to go about it, a farmer wouldn't give a damn about how well hidden the blade would be out on the fields.

Mad_Saulot
2019-08-29, 07:56 AM
A Falcata is a heavy single handed sword more used for hacking than slashing or piercing, it is neither a shortsword nor a longsword (I hate the wrongness of medieval weapons in DnD)

I'd just create a simple stat for it 1d8 slashing, Heavy, job done. its not light, its not versatile, theres a reason Greeks didnt wear metal armour, everything was heavy as hell, what with their huge metal shields, heavy sword, long spear and chunky helmets they didnt have much capacity for anything else.

You might cry, but we have steel now, yeah whoop de do, if you had steel you wouldnt make a falcata you'd make a superior weapon like a longsword wiggles.

Pyramid Pug
2019-08-29, 08:04 AM
A Falcata is a heavy single handed sword more used for hacking than slashing or piercing, it is neither a shortsword nor a longsword (I hate the wrongness of medieval weapons in DnD)

I'd just create a simple stat for it 1d8 slashing, Heavy, job done. its not light, its not versatile, theres a reason Greeks didnt wear metal armour, everything was heavy as hell, what with their huge metal shields, heavy sword, long spear and chunky helmets they didnt have much capacity for anything else.

You might cry, but we have steel now, yeah whoop de do, if you had steel you wouldnt make a falcatsa you'd make a supeerior weapon like a longsword wuiggles.

A Falcata is a one handed sword used with a Cetra, a shield, it's not a heavy weapon. In fact if you look at the weapon table in the PHB you'll see that all heavy weapons are two handed. In fact when it was used here, our troops were known for their light movement, ambush and guerrilla tactics killing heavy infantry before they could react, harrying them, hitting supply lines etc, all due to the superior movement. Troops also carried bronze spears, dards , bows and so on.

-- Edit ---
In fact we had steel back then, the falcatas were made from it. They weight around 2.5 pounds, around 1kg

NNescio
2019-08-29, 08:17 AM
Yeah, that came about because I wanted to introduce folklore elements from my country to my illustrations so I was researching traditional dresses, costumes, fighting styles, etc, which led to my question about the falcata.

On a side note now that you mention that bit about the sickles, I found an awesome tidbit I wasn't aware. We have a fighting style using staffs, it's our national martial art as it was developed by common folks like shepherds (like in so many other countries). Now the staff has an interesting bit in that you can detach the bottom part to reveal a hidden blade, like a dagger, for very close quarters (the fighting style revolves around facing multiple opponents at the same time and keeping them at bay).

What I DIDN'T know is that the original staffs used by the farmers and herders actually used a sickle with a hollow handle that could fit and lock to the end of the staff, which makes sense as it's a more practical way to go about it, a farmer wouldn't give a damn about how well hidden the blade would be out on the fields.

Interesting tidbit. Thanks for sharing the information. It was very informative. The part about the staff-mounted sickles make a lot of sense, especially considering how modern farmers/gardeners/horticulturists often have hand tools that can be mounted (DIY sometimes) on the end of a pole.

Out of curiosity, were you referring to Juego del palo? (or maybe Jogo do pau?)

Pyramid Pug
2019-08-29, 08:22 AM
Interesting tidbit. Thanks for sharing the information. It was very informative. The part about the staff-mounted sickles make a lot of sense, especially considering how modern farmers/gardeners/horticulturists often have hand tools that can be mounted (DIY sometimes) on the end of a pole.

Out of curiosity, were you referring to Juego del palo? (or maybe Jogo do pau?)

Jogo do pau yes, or Esgrima Lusitana (lusitanian fencing).

ShikomeKidoMi
2019-09-02, 04:54 AM
A Falcata is a one handed sword used with a Cetra, a shield, it's not a heavy weapon. In fact if you look at the weapon table in the PHB you'll see that all heavy weapons are two handed. ...In fact we had steel back then, the falcatas were made from it. They weight around 2.5 pounds, around 1kg

To further back this up, you'll note that the falcata shown here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcata
Do not even have enough room on their hilts to wield effectively two handed, so they cannot weigh that much.

Ninja_Prawn
2019-09-02, 05:32 AM
Looking at the Wikipedia article, my vote would definitely be scimitar. The shape almost reminds me of a kukri...

Mith
2019-09-02, 07:02 AM

Sounds also like a DIY billhook imo for lopping at tall branches.