PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding my Bard as a (homebrewed) Eldritch Knight, just want some opinions

ArkthePieKing
2019-08-29, 01:18 PM
As the title. I've been playing a College of Swords Bard since level 1, and we're level 7, and I honestly don't enjoy it. It doesn't capture the art of weaving spell and sword the way I'd hoped it would. It get some cute combat tricks, and an absolute boatload of concentration status spells which amount to jack all when I can only concentrate on one at a time, oh wait I I stubbed my toe guess I just lost concentration of my 4th level Confusion before it ever had any time to get a single effect, no I'm not bitter you're bitter.

So rather than retire the character, my DM suggested we reforge her into something new and make a big story event out of it, which I'm totally on board for. We tossed some ideas around, and eventually settled on Eldritch Knight Fighter with Charisma as the casting stat instead of Int. So here's what I've got so far:

---------------
Eladrin Elf

Str: 8
Dex: 18
Con: 14
Int: 10
Wis: 10
Cha: 16
Feats: War Caster
Fighting style: Dueling
60HP
Half-Plate armor, shield, cloak of resistance (20AC)
Weapon: Sunblade (1d8+8)

Cantrips: Booming Blade, Lightning Lure

1st level spells:
Tasha's Hideous Laughter
Absorb Elements
Shield

2nd level spells:
Shatter
Darkness
---------------

Tasha's Hideous Laughter might seem like an odd choice, but Tasha herself will be reforging my Bard, and I thought it would be good tribute to the lady herself if I kept the spell in my repertoire from when I was a Bard. So, thoughts? The idea is being able to enhance my own ability with the Eladrin's teleport, and using Booming Blade and Lightning Lure to keep enemies close to me. Darkness is particularly nasty, because I can cast darkness on an area, but then I can illuminate it with my Sunblade per a tweet from Jeremy Crawford, so it's only a problem when I'm not there. I might swap out Darkness though if there's a compelling reason to. Maybe something like Earth Tremor to create mass difficult terrain. Lightning Lure also helps close that last little bit of distance I need to get into melee. Lightning Lure, bonus action Melee sounds pretty cinematic and fun to play out. So thoughts? Will this be an effective build? Or am I conjuring up another disappointment?

Stone-Ears
2019-08-29, 01:58 PM
Seems pretty cool! If I could give this a thumbs up I would!

It seems like it's pretty balanced and shouldn't be too unbalanced to play as. Most importantly, seems like it'd be fun for everyone at the table too!

whiplashomega
2019-08-29, 02:24 PM
Looks like a fun build! my experience with Eldritch Knights has been good in the past, your feat and spell selections are right on the money, now go beat up some baddies!

Rowan Wolf
2019-08-29, 03:24 PM
Shame that the College of Valor gets the battle magic feature so late otherwise it might have be a good fit. Other than the feel not being there did College of Swords play well? I have been curious about that one, but have only played lore myself.

Contrast
2019-08-29, 04:17 PM
I'd consider if you really need both Booming Blade and Lightning Lure (both will be substantially less attractive if you hit level 11 and get your third attack). Depends how much you value the utility cantrips I suppose.

If you want to spend your time in combat you'll find this more rewarding but don't expect too much from your spell casting. I wouldn't even say its the icing on the cake - more like the decoration :smallbiggrin:

ArkthePieKing
2019-08-30, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone! It seems like I'm mostly on the right track, so we'll see how it plays out in practice.

@Rowan Wolf, it...was not great. It had a few moments where it shined, but the Bard spell list doesn't support that playstyle very well at all. I was mostly a 2nd rate Battle Master fighter with bad maneuvers, and some mediocre status magic. I was way too squishy to stay on the front lines, and my spells did nothing to enhance my fighting style. Overall it was a disappointment for me personally.

ArkthePieKing
2019-08-31, 11:14 PM
Okay, just played the first game with my Eldritch Knight. We only had one combat, and it ended up being cut short but I felt like I had more agency. Having the sheer number of reactions I could perform on my turn really made me feel like I had more agency. I ran up to a spellcaster and missed with booming blade but hit with my attack. From there I had shield for physical, absorb elements for magical, and booming blade on reaction if he tried to run. I just felt like I had more to do and more choices to make. I think I'm going to like it long turn. Especially at 8 when I take Misty Step and can really start teleporting around the battlefield and being unkillable, unpinnable, AND inescapable. I'm so excited :D