PDA

View Full Version : Magic Wisdom Items 3.5

Michel
2019-08-29, 05:27 PM
I'm trying to find some Magical Gear to Improve my Ascetic Knight, but other then the Periapt of Wisdom I can't find any. Are there other Wisdom increasing Items?

Buufreak
2019-08-29, 05:52 PM
If you are allowed custom item rules, there is literally infinite different items that boost any stat, including wisdom. The big thing is to change its type so it can stack.

Ryton
2019-08-29, 06:55 PM
Pages 233 and 234 of the Magic Item Compendium indicates that +Wis enhancements can be added to any items that occupy the head or throat slot, with the only price increase to the item being identical to the value of the increase. (Basically, price-wise, you're effectively just laying the Periapt on top of the other item.)
It may be difficult to find items like this, you'll probably need to craft them yourself, or commission them from a friendly caster.

Bronk
2019-08-29, 08:00 PM
Here are a few additional preexisting wisdom bonus items:

DMG/SRD - Incandescent Blue Sphere Ioun Stone: +2 to wisdom, no item slot, 8,000 gold

Miniatures Handbook - Belt of Magnificence: +6 to all stats, 200,000 gold

Dragon 302 - Robe of the Archmage of Menzoberannzan: +8 armor, +4 wisdom, etc., 182,000 gold

Dragon 322 - Gem of Wisdom: yellow jacinth gem, +4 wisdom, no item slot. 32,000 gold

You could also look for one of the five levels of Tomes of Understanding.

Edit: Yes, I think everything but the tomes are all enhancement bonuses.

Edit: Sorry, the Gem of Wisdom is in issue 322, not 332.

Buufreak
2019-08-29, 08:33 PM
But what type of bonus are those? If they are all enhancement, then you only get the best of, ie, they don't stack.

Biggus
2019-08-29, 08:34 PM
You might want to have a look at this: http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=176.0

But the short answer is: no, there aren't any items which stack with a Periapt of Wisdom apart from the Tomes of Understanding. Which is probably just as well, or Clerics and Druids would be even more invincible than they already are...

RNightstalker
2019-08-29, 09:06 PM
Greater Visage of the Deity will give you a +4 unnamed bonus (though it is a 9th level spell) and Owl's Insight is a 5th level Druid spell that gives an insight bonus equal to 1/2 CL...

A wish or Tome of Understanding add an inherent bonus.

There are rules for creating magic items with different kinds of bonuses, but they're going to cost you.

DwarvenWarCorgi
2019-08-29, 09:53 PM
But the short answer is: no, there aren't any items which stack with a Periapt of Wisdom apart from the Tomes of Understanding. Which is probably just as well, or Clerics and Druids would be even more invincible than they already are...

Clasp of the Elder (AEG) +2 untyped bonus to WIS (slotless, dwarves only) would just be more expensive for all races, or have one made that works only for your race

animewatcha
2019-08-29, 11:42 PM
Clasp while being slotless is a +2 enhancement bonus to wisdom.

Biggus
2019-08-31, 07:44 AM
Clasp while being slotless is a +2 enhancement bonus to wisdom.

Yup. Other than the Tome of Understanding, there's a couple of artifacts on that list I posted that give not-enhancement bonuses, or you can make custom items using the spells RNightstalker mentioned, but that's it.

Michel
2019-09-01, 11:39 AM
Wow, thanks everyone, these really help! I'll ask my DM about them.

Ascetic Knight is such a weird class to play, but I am enjoying it, With enough Wisdom I should be able to play it properly.

jdizzlean
2019-09-01, 11:04 PM
Greater Visage of the Deity will give you a +4 unnamed bonus (though it is a 9th level spell) and Owl's Insight is a 5th level Druid spell that gives an insight bonus equal to 1/2 CL...

A wish or Tome of Understanding add an inherent bonus.

There are rules for creating magic items with different kinds of bonuses, but they're going to cost you.

because i suck at item creation math, let's say you wanted a wand of Owl's insight, what would the cost be for that?

also, let's assume you wanted an eternal wand of owl's insight, the cost for that?

RAW only please, my dm is strict :)

animewatcha
2019-09-02, 01:28 AM
by RAW, you can't create a wand of owl's insight or eternal wand since Owl's Insight is 5th level. A way around this is to create a wand of Sanctum Spell ( outside of sanctum ) Owl's Insight to place it at 4th spell level. Wands can only go up to 4th.

jdizzlean
2019-09-02, 03:08 AM
well phoeey. the sanctum option is nice, but i'd probably get books thrown at me if i suggested it. thanks. still a noob when it comes to casting after all these years :)

Biggus
2019-09-02, 03:46 AM
There are rules for how to create an at-will or continuous custom item of Owl's Insight in the DMG, but the only standard item is a scroll.

Edit: if the Master Alchemist prestige class exists in the world you're playing in, it might be possible to buy potions of it.

Allanimal
2019-09-02, 04:30 AM
by RAW, you can't create a wand of owl's insight or eternal wand since Owl's Insight is 5th level. A way around this is to create a wand of Sanctum Spell ( outside of sanctum ) Owl's Insight to place it at 4th spell level. Wands can only go up to 4th.

Also by RAW, eternal wands are arcane only. I believe Owl’s Insight is Druid only...

schreier
2019-09-03, 07:18 AM
Also by RAW, eternal wands are arcane only. I believe Owl’s Insight is Druid only...

Wyrm Wizard lets you add single spells to your class list, making them arcane

ExLibrisMortis
2019-09-03, 08:24 AM
Most ways of getting extra Wisdom rely on item alteration or owl's insight or Persistent Spell buffstacks. They're all easy enough to get with the right classes, but they aren't easy (that is, affordable and uncontroversial) to emulate with custom magic items. You can use cost reduction tricks, of course, all the way down to (Su) wish for free buffs, but that's frowned upon.

(1) Custom item of at-will item alteration, created by an artificer at CL 5. 60 000 gp, easy to dispel, and you have to spend five rounds refreshing your buffs every 50 minutes, but this does get you +10 Wisdom for 80 000 gp, or +20 for 140 000 gp, or +30 for 240 000 gp (stacking five additional periapts at +2/+4/+6 each, respectively).
(2) Custom item of at-will concurrent infusions plus a custom item of at-will metamagic item, created by an artificer at CL 5 and 3 respectively. 40 000 + 72 000 gp; allows you to create temporary wands of item alteration, and allows you to add Reach Spell and Persistent Spell to the spells cast by those wands (if you have those feats, and the ability to UMD wands). You can stack periapts as well as every buff spell you could put in a wand, and you can do it for the entire party. Note that at this point you're basically spending gold to pretend to be an artificer, which isn't necessarily a bad idea, but you do need a very tolerant DM. All your buffs are very easily dispelled, too.
(3) Custom item of permanent owl's insight: 20 000 gp per point of Wisdom. This is very expensive.
(4) Custom item of permanent owl's insight created by a Mind Mage: 4 000 gp per point of Wisdom. This is very cheesy.

Allanimal
2019-09-03, 10:44 AM
Wyrm Wizard lets you add single spells to your class list, making them arcane

True, but I think it is always good to note, because it requires extra steps. Some DMs out there may not allow these sorts of items in their magic marts (I know I have had a couple like this), so it isn’t trivial to get.

schreier
2019-09-03, 11:53 AM
True, but I think it is always good to note, because it requires extra steps. Some DMs out there may not allow these sorts of items in their magic marts (I know I have had a couple like this), so it isn’t trivial to get.

Agreed 100% - was more saying it was possible (far from easy - and honestly, I doubt many would use their limited # of other list spells on something like that)

Thurbane
2019-09-03, 09:40 PM

Another option is Minor Schemas (MoE p.122); which are like a 1/day scroll. For a 5th level spell, would cost 18,000gp.

Mato
2019-09-03, 10:08 PM
by RAW, you can't create a wand of owl's insight or eternal wand since Owl's Insight is 5th level.Speaking of RAW, what can or cannot be put into a wand is not a calculation. And according to RAW a druid's sanctum owl's insight still uses a 5th level spell slot, so it still requires 15 wisdom, it still requires a minimum CL of 9, and it is still a 5th level spell for anything that is not a calculation (such as what level the spell is to determine which spell slots can cast it).

So if you're not using RAW, what are you using?

jdizzlean
2019-09-04, 03:50 AM
these would be great options at any table other than mine where magic marts are few and far between, and things like craft wondrous are almost unheard of.

some new tricks though, and for that i thank you.

and, unfortunately, my dm greatly dislikes eberron, so the schema thing is right out :(