PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Unseen Hunter [Prestige Class]

gooddragon1
2019-08-29, 06:45 PM
Deleted content

OttoVonBigby
2019-09-01, 07:56 AM
I like the fluff and the abilities; it seems to fill a niche. But I did a (cursory) side-by-side comparison of this PrC to the Ninja class in Complete Adventurer, and it made me wonder: can you think of a circumstance in which any ninja would not want to get into this PrC with minimal delay?

Silvercrys
2019-09-01, 02:46 PM
Looks like a cool alternative to Swiftblade for gishes, though it doesn't bend the action economy over its knee like Swiftblade does, of course. Then again, "it's weaker than Swiftblade" is a pretty low bar to clear.

It doesn't seem immediately imbalanced otherwise though. Divine gishes generally don't get full BAB progression and this many caster levels but that's mostly a stylistic choice on WotC's part -- and there are a few like the Fist of Raziel with 9/10 casting and full BAB so I think you're fine. The psuedo-sneak attack only adds 9 damage per attack over the class... You might able to do funny things by combining it with Rogue and Shadowbane Stalker, like Cleric 3/Rogue 3/Shadowbane Stalker 3/Unseen Hunter 10/Cleric +1 gets Cleric 15 spellcasting and 6d6 "sneak attack" with a +17 Base Attack Bonus. I think that's the "worst" you can do with it, though, and you still lose 9s.

You could theoretically keep them by getting sneak attack through Tome of Battle feats and doing Cleric 6/Shadowbane Stalker 4/Unseen Hunter 10, I suppose. If you want to nerf it a bit more and keep it attractive for Rangers you can reduce the spellcasting to 6/10 -- Ranger/Unseen Hunters will still get 4th level spells at ECL 18 but it reduces full caster progression to 8s even with full Cleric entry to Shadowbane Stalker.

Actual class features look fine, mostly small bonuses related to being invisible and limited InvisIbility SLAs, plus not-sneak attack. I'd be in favor of just making the ability progress sneak attack or skirmish if the character already has it and adding a separate ability to allow them to deal minimum damage if they don't meet the requirements for their precision damage ability, though I'm not super sure how to template that.

Cool idea though. I'd probably let a player play this as written if they asked, to be honest.