PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Pushing Attack's Direction

Amechra
2019-08-29, 08:47 PM
Quick question: If you use the Battlemaster Fighter's Pushing Attack maneuver, could you choose to push the creature straight upwards?

Because Repelling Blast explicitly specifies that you need to push them away in a straight line, a clause that Pushing Attack does not have.

---

More generally, can you Shove a creature straight up? And if you can't do it with the default rules, can you do it with the Shove Aside optional combat action?

I'm currently futzing with a Battlemaster Fighter//Swords Bard, and I'm curious about whether or not Pushing Attack + Mobile Flourish would let me toss someone 20'+ into the air and follow them up.

Grimmnist
2019-08-30, 02:58 PM
I'm currently futzing with a Battlemaster Fighter//Swords Bard, and I'm curious about whether or not Pushing Attack + Mobile Flourish would let me toss someone 20'+ into the air and follow them up.

Was wondering why you would even want to shove someone upwards, I get it now. Air combos ftw.

I think RAW it might work via the Air Bud Rule, since it just says away from you. That being said this is exactly the kind of faffery you need to ask your DM about, the extra 2d6 damage of fall damage per attack is significant. However I don't think you could jump up to meet them in air, since jumping is part of movement rules and has its own restrictions (jump spell might do it though).

sithlordnergal
2019-08-30, 03:01 PM
...I don't think there are any rules preventing it in RAW, but I am away from book. That said, as a DM, if my players thought of that they would have instant inspiration and would be free to do so, cause dang that is creative!