PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How useful is "Harm"?

Maxiboy
2019-08-29, 09:00 PM
I'm currently playing as a cleric as my first ever character, he is known to use mostly necromancy spells, and my DM has been talking to me about all the cool spell opportunities that he will have in the future. I decided to look into higher leveled necromancy spells and found 'Harm', but other than reducing max HP temporarily, it just feels like watered-down version of Inflict Wounds.

Harm:
- Can do up to 84 damage, or half as much on successful save.
- Can't reduce HP below 1.
- Can reduce max HP based on damage taken, or not on successful throw.
- Can't scale different levels.

Inflict Wounds (Scaled to 6th Level to match)
- Can do up to 80 damage.
- Can scale different levels.

This may just be personal preference or I may just be looking over it, but does anyone else use this spell regularly -can it be better than Inflict Wounds? How can I put it to good use? :)

stoutstien
2019-08-29, 09:06 PM
I'm currently playing as a cleric as my first ever character, he is known to use mostly necromancy spells, and my DM has been talking to me about all the cool spell opportunities that he will have in the future. I decided to look into higher leveled necromancy spells and found 'Harm', but other than reducing max HP temporarily, it just feels like watered-down version of Inflict Wounds.

Harm:
- Can do up to 84 damage, or half as much on successful save.
- Can't reduce HP below 1.
- Can reduce max HP based on damage taken, or not on successful throw.
- Can't scale different levels.

Inflict Wounds (Scaled to 6th Level to match)
- Can do up to 80 damage.
- Can scale different levels.

This may just be personal preference or I may just be looking over it, but does anyone else use this spell regularly -can it be better than Inflict Wounds? How can I put it to good use? :)

The half damage on save is nice vs the all or nothing of inflict wound. also range, Not having to walk up to use a spell has it high points

Maxiboy
2019-08-29, 09:10 PM
The half damage on save is nice vs the all or nothing of inflict wound. also range, Not having to walk up to use a spell has it high points

Ahh, I thought the damage still had a chance to miss as well at first.
I didn't even realize that it was ranged as well, that is definitely a cool point.

Misterwhisper
2019-08-29, 09:50 PM
Also inflict has a chance to crit.

BarneyBent
2019-08-29, 09:52 PM
Highly effective against foes with HP regeneration. But it does strike me as more an “NPC spell” than one designed with PCs in mind.

Sigreid
2019-08-29, 10:22 PM
We're into DM ruling territory here but if your DM rules that the hour Max HP reduction sticks with the druid through forms, that's a pretty good way to screw a moon druid.

Vessyra
2019-08-30, 07:18 PM
I've always found harm to be lacking as well. Even against foes with hp regeneration, it is really only good if they fail the save and you're fighting alone. If you're fighting with a party (which should be most of the time) then they'll probably be doing more damage than it can regenerate, meaning that the reduced max hp maximum is moot.
An average damage of 49 is quite a decent amount, but con saves are frequently high (due to most enemies having high con), so often it'll just be 24 damage. It's not a horrible spell, but there are definitely better options.
Plus the chance to crit on inflict wounds is just too good to pass up.