PDA

View Full Version : Ready Action, Spellcasting and Bonus Actions

BarneyBent
2019-08-29, 09:36 PM
So as we know, you cannot cast a levelled spell with your action and another spell with your bonus action on the same turn.

My question is, what happens if you take the Ready action to ready a spell for release with your reaction? For example; a Cleric might cast Spiritual Weapon using their bonus action, and then ready Spirit Guardians to be released when the next combatant’s turn begins.

Relevant Spellcasting rule here:

A spell cast with a Bonus Action is especially swift. You must use a Bonus Action on Your Turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven’t already taken a Bonus Action this turn. You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a Casting Time of 1 action.

Ready action:

When you ready a spell, you cast it as normal but hold its energy, which you release with your Reaction when the trigger occurs. To be readied, a spell must have a Casting Time of 1 action, and holding onto the spell’s magic requires Concentration. If your Concentration is broken, the spell dissipates without taking effect. For example, if you are concentrating on the web spell and ready Magic Missile, your web spell ends, and if you take damage before you release Magic Missile with your Reaction, your Concentration might be broken.

Depending on your reading, you could argue that you complete the casting of the spell “as normal” with your action, but just “release” the spell with your reaction. Therefore, you have violated the rules of bonus action casting and cannot cast a bonus action spell.

An alternate reading is that you have not taken the Cast A Spell action, and/or that you do not COMPLETE casting the spell on your turn, therefore it is acceptable.

From a RAW-agnostic perspective, would you view this as against the spirit of the rules? It isn’t without cost, as it uses your reaction. Spellcasters with strong reactions (e.g. Shield spell, War Wizards, melees with Warcaster, etc) would be particular affected. Would this cost be enough to allow you to use it even if you judge it as not RAW?

Kane0
2019-08-29, 09:42 PM
I would say no, because 'cast as normal' runs into 'but you've already Bonus Action cast this turn'. The clincher for me is that you're concentrating on that spell while readying, meaning to me you've at the very least mostly cast it.

Edit: To me the spirit of the rules has always appeared to be 'one levelled spell per turn', and they would have benefitted from just saying that rather than tying the phrasing to specifically bonus action spells.

Jack Bitters
2019-08-29, 09:45 PM
Relevant Spellcasting rule here:
Ready action:

When you ready a spell, you cast it as normal but hold its energy, which you release with your Reaction when the trigger occurs. To be readied, a spell must have a Casting Time of 1 action, and holding onto the spell’s magic requires Concentration. If your Concentration is broken, the spell dissipates without taking effect. For example, if you are concentrating on the web spell and ready Magic Missile, your web spell ends, and if you take damage before you release Magic Missile with your Reaction, your Concentration might be broken.

I would argue that the first sentence where it says 'you cast it as normal' counts against you when trying to cast a leveled spell as a bonus action as well. I.e., no, you cannot use the ready action to get around the action/bonus action limitations. Sorry.

Neither is it a fair trade to give up a reaction for the ability to effectively cast two leveled spells per turn. That's worth much more than a simple shield spell.

BarneyBent
2019-08-29, 09:50 PM
I would argue that the first sentence where it says 'you cast it as normal' counts against you when trying to cast a leveled spell as a bonus action as well. I.e., no, you cannot use the ready action to get around the action/bonus action limitations. Sorry.

Neither is it a fair trade to give up a reaction for the ability to effectively cast two leveled spells per turn. That's worth much more than a simple shield spell.

I mean Shield is a levelled spell... but I take your point.

In any case I’m asking as much as a DM as a player, trying to decide how I would rule if it comes up.

Misterwhisper
2019-08-29, 10:23 PM
I mean Shield is a levelled spell... but I take your point.

In any case I’m asking as much as a DM as a player, trying to decide how I would rule if it comes up.

Shield is not cast on your turn 99% of the time.

A readied spell is completely cast on your turn but takes effect on your trigger.

NNescio
2019-08-30, 04:54 AM
Shield is not cast on your turn 99% of the time.

A readied spell is completely cast on your turn but takes effect on your trigger.

To add on to this, one can't Shield on the same turn one casts a bonus action spell either. Which rarely comes up, admittedly, but it can be an issue if the caster triggers an OA on its turn (or an readied attack or some sort of counterattack ability) after casting a bonus action spell.