PDA

View Full Version : Destroying the World

Icewalker
2007-10-13, 01:33 AM
How would you do it in dnd? What tricks are there to destroy the world?

My friend pointed out the ring gates + perfectly straight tube + vacuum = small object at almost the speed of light = crazy explosion.

I've been doing the math however, and I'm not sure it'd work. I'll be done soon and sure.

Until then, anybody else know of a completely legal method to destroy the world? Preferably one that doesn't include getting infinite power through Pun-Pun or a similar trick first.

Xuincherguixe
2007-10-13, 01:42 AM
Open a portal to the far plane?

Xefas
2007-10-13, 01:46 AM
I think I once saw a plan involving teleporting yourself up slightly above Earth's atmosphere with a giant rock. Then, you cast Gate, and have the exit of the Gate appear a few feet above the entrance, toss the rock in, wait for it to reach an obscenely high speed as it warps in and out of the Gate over and over, and then dismiss the Gate spell, letting the giant rock plummet to Earth at some ungodly speed.

Dunno if it'd work, but it's something I saw in a thread on another forum.

ReproMan
2007-10-13, 01:48 AM
I think the best way I ever came across involved Greater Teleporting to the center of the Earth with a several hundred thousand gold worth of Beads of Force, though I'm sure a sufficiently high caster could come up with something that makes a bigger boom.

Alleine
2007-10-13, 01:58 AM
Before I try anything, I want to be clear on what you're asking. Physical destruction of the, for lack of a better word, planet, or destruction of everything on it.

Two very different things, I think. Destruction of what I see as the material plane, would be quite difficult, destruction of everything else? Probably not so much.

I'm sorry, but I just have to mention the anti-osmium trick. That was just too funny.

Hunter Noventa
2007-10-13, 02:02 AM
There's always that one trick for inifinite damage with a crusader and a gauntlet.

"I'm sick of this pseudo-steampunk high magic Eberron campaign!"
*punches ground*
*Eberron dies*

herrhauptmann
2007-10-13, 02:09 AM
Saw a guy playing a magister class (Arcana Unearthed by Monte Cook), with the Magister template at 28th level. Cast haste and timestop, then followed those up with 2 magister only spells (from AE). To make it worse, one of his abilities was that any spell that did damage, he could have it do the same thing again the next round. I'm sorry that I can't explain his actions better, but I was just sitting in on the game rather than playing.
Anyway, he did about 4000 points of damage to each 5ft cube across a sphere 30 in diameter. So a 10ft table would have technically received 8000 points of damage. (Mind you, most of the gods have less than 3000 hit points)
The DM made several arbitrary rulings at that point.
1)The Magister ripped a hole through the dimensions: destroying the prime material and all the plains that connect to it within 2 steps of the Great Wheel.
2) That specific combo was outlawed for forever.
3) The last 2 rounds never happened.

I'll contact my friends who were in the campaign, see if they can remember which spells were used.

herrhauptmann
2007-10-13, 02:11 AM
I'm sorry, but I just have to mention the anti-osmium trick. That was just too funny.

What is the anti-osmium trick? I don't think I've heard of it.

Icewalker
2007-10-13, 02:15 AM
Well you could really go for both. If it comes to destroying the world, then assume it is a spherical planet, as we can't really figure out how to blow a chunk out of the metaverse.

I figured out some numbers for the ring gates, which is similar to the rock gate thing, except that the rock wouldn't even make much of a crater. It would reach terminal velocity and thats all. The special deal with the ring gates is that you get a vacuum inside the tube. Also, after looking up Gate, that wouldn't work because you can only hold it for 1 round/level

I've determined that if you can get an object moving at approximately the speed of light, you can create a dinosaur-meteor scale explosion (100,000,000 Megatons of energy. For scale, the bomb dropped on Nagasaki was 1/50th of a Megaton.) with a 10,000 Kg object. This, unfortunately, makes the issue impossible, as Ring Gates can transfer 100 lbs. of weight per day. Oh well.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-13, 02:31 AM
There's always that one trick for inifinite damage with a crusader and a gauntlet.

*punches ground*
*Eberron dies*
I'd try this on Faerun, but I'm pretty sure Elminster has an epic spell on contingency in case some one tries this that would neatly prevent it.

Also, remind me again what the point of destroying the world is?

leperkhaun
2007-10-13, 02:33 AM
Originally Posted by Swordguy View Post
Got it! Eschew Materials feat + Major Creation.

There's no book value listed for either Osmium or it's antimatter counterpart. Just summon Anti-Osmium to the limit of your casting ability in contact with the critter. (Point of order: given an Earth-equivalent density, and assuming it has the DR of rock at all points, it takes a 17th level caster to summon enough Anti-Osmium to fragment the planet. Imagine what a 50th could do.)

EDIT:
Osmium is 22610 kg/cubic meter. A 50th level caster summons 50 cubic feet, or a cube 3.7 feet to a side. This converts over to be roughly 15.25 cubic meters, for a final density of 344,802 kg. 1 gram of antimatter produces roughly a 43 kiloton reaction (doubling once the matter is added into the equation, so the detonation of 1g of AM in contact with 1g of matter is 86kt). We have 344,802,500 grams of anti-osmium, for a total yield of 29,653,015,000,000 kilotons. (these are metric tons of 1,000kg each, for a total of 29,653,015,000,000,000 kiloGRAMS of TNT) 1 lb of TNT does 3d6 damage, or, converting over, 0.454 kg of TNT does 3d6 damage. So, dividing 29,653,015,000,000,000 by 0.454 yields 65,315,011,013,215,859 increments of 3d6. So, multiply by three, and get 195,945,033,039,647,577d6 damage.

Congratulations, you've just done 195 quadrillion damage minimum. Your average damage is 685,807,615,638,766,519 hp.

685 quadrillion hp damage. That ought to blow through most DR. And it's not fire damage (even though TNT is usually thought of that way). It's just plain old force damage

There is another post on it, basically there was a way at 9th level to create enough to split the earth in a couple big pieces.

Skyserpent
2007-10-13, 02:41 AM
I'd try this on Faerun, but I'm pretty sure Elminster has an epic spell on contingency in case some one tries this that would neatly prevent it.

Also, remind me again what the point of destroying the world is?

Because it's cool. :smallsmile:

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-13, 05:06 AM
Well, if you must, I'd start here (http://qntm.org/destroy).

Note that this site estimates the annihilation of Earth would require around 25 trillion tonnes of antimatter. Less, if placed strategically.

Icewalker
2007-10-13, 10:44 AM
Yeah, that antimatter trick, though impressive, wouldn't destroy the world. Your damage output there is a bit over 29 million megatons. The meteor that killed off the dinosaurs was 100 million. So, it would probably cause one hell of an explosion, but probably not destroy the ecosystem sized. Pretty close though, fun trick.

Why is osmium better? You want more density for a bigger explosion, correct? I suggest Roentgenium, highest density (straight off the periodic table) with a halflife of seconds. It's heavier, I believe.

Anxe
2007-10-13, 10:52 AM
Roentgenium's density is actually unknown because it has a half-life of 3.6 seconds. If you wanted to make a nuclear bomb instead of an antimatter collision then you'd use Roentgenium.

PlatinumJester
2007-10-13, 10:55 AM
We destroyed Grey Hawk in our campaign. The DM couldn't be asked to DM anymore and we were all about to die anyway. So our Ultrimate Magus opened a rift to the Astral Realm which ****ed up destroying everything.

DraPrime
2007-10-13, 11:24 AM
We managed to summon an army of demons, and used them to dig a hole to the center of the earth. From there we opened a rift to the plane of water and turned the world inside out. Basically, the world became a HUGE pile of mud. And the army of demons? They drowned.

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-13, 11:30 AM
Before I try anything, I want to be clear on what you're asking. Physical destruction of the, for lack of a better word, planet, or destruction of everything on it.

Two very different things, I think. Destruction of what I see as the material plane, would be quite difficult, destruction of everything else? Probably not so much.

Um. You are aware that Ravenloft is the only standard campaign setting that isn't set on a planet, right? Oerth, Aber-Toril, Eberron, Krynn and Athas are all planets.

TK-Squared
2007-10-13, 11:30 AM
Well, start summoning some Solars...

Green Bean
2007-10-13, 11:33 AM
Ending the world? That's great! Now, it starts with an earthquake, birds, snakes, and aeroplanes...

CrazedGoblin
2007-10-13, 11:41 AM
Ending the world? That's great! Now, it starts with an earthquake, birds, snakes, and aeroplanes...

*its the end of the world as we know it* :smallbiggrin:

Harlequin
2007-10-13, 11:50 AM
Locate City cheese works pretty well. Not as flashy as Anti-Osmium, but legal, and rather deadly. Especially with Fell Animate, as Tempest Stormwind pointed out on the Wizards boards. Boom! Instant zombie apocalypse.

Gralamin
2007-10-13, 11:50 AM
Well you could really go for both. If it comes to destroying the world, then assume it is a spherical planet, as we can't really figure out how to blow a chunk out of the metaverse.

I figured out some numbers for the ring gates, which is similar to the rock gate thing, except that the rock wouldn't even make much of a crater. It would reach terminal velocity and thats all. The special deal with the ring gates is that you get a vacuum inside the tube. Also, after looking up Gate, that wouldn't work because you can only hold it for 1 round/level

I've determined that if you can get an object moving at approximately the speed of light, you can create a dinosaur-meteor scale explosion (100,000,000 Megatons of energy. For scale, the bomb dropped on Nagasaki was 1/50th of a Megaton.) with a 10,000 Kg object. This, unfortunately, makes the issue impossible, as Ring Gates can transfer 100 lbs. of weight per day. Oh well.

Honestly, this trick would not work even without the ring gate limit. As you approach the speed of light, your mass increases, and since your mass increases, you generate a larger Gravitational field Until the tube crumples, the Gates are brought closer, and it just hits the planet, before reaching such an amount. You would probably still destroy the Ecosystem, but gravity would cause you problems.
Also, since its moving at almost the speed of light, it probably has a near infinite mass, which may cause it to implode, or alternatively, cause everything else to rotate around it.

Sajek
2007-10-13, 12:47 PM
I saw this trick on the D&D CharOps boards once, and repost it every time someone asks about destroying the world.

1. Take the Locate City spell (from Cityscape, I believe) and apply Snowcasting (FB) to it. This gives it the [cold] descriptor.
2. Now that it is [cold], apply Flash Frost (FB). This makes it do 2 cold damage to everything in the area, which is ten miles per CL.
3. Apply Energy Substitution (Comp.Arc). This turns the cold damage into electricity.
4. Now that it does elecricity damage, it is a valid target for Born of the Three Thunders (PHBII). This makes it do half electricity and half sonic damage, but more importantly, it also allows a Reflex save for half damage, which allows you to...
5. ...apply Explosive Spell (Comp.Arc) to this mess. This makes anyone who fails an additional save be pushed back to the edge of the radius and take 1d6 per ten feet travelled.

*deep breath*

End Result: Snowcasting Flash Frost Energy Substitution (Electricity) Born of the Three Thunders Explosive Locate City. With all the metamagic, this is a 4th level spell (assume level 7). When you cast this, anyone within seventy miles must make a Reflex save or be blown back to the extreme of the area and take 1d6 per ten feet travelled. They are travelling seventy miles.

Congratulations, you are now dealing (5280 / 10 x 70) 36,960d6 at level seven, with an additional 5,280d6 per level, to everyone and everything within seventy miles. That's an average of 129,360 damage (untyped, too).

Best of all, since this spell is only fourth level, you can make wands of it. Hand them out to your fanatical cultist followers, space them out in stratagetic locations and major cities, and let lose.

kamikasei
2007-10-13, 12:48 PM
We managed to summon an army of demons, and used them to dig a hole to the center of the earth. From there we opened a rift to the plane of water and turned the world inside out. Basically, the world became a HUGE pile of mud. And the army of demons? They drowned.

What, were you Daleks?

Alleine
2007-10-13, 12:53 PM
Um. You are aware that Ravenloft is the only standard campaign setting that isn't set on a planet, right? Oerth, Aber-Toril, Eberron, Krynn and Athas are all planets.

No, I don't know. The only campaigns I've played are homebrew, with the exception of one where we all were too dead to be curious about what planet we were on. So I know almost nothing about the standard campaign settings. I have one Eberron book though.

Xuincherguixe
2007-10-14, 06:47 AM
Use the plot centric items.

The only way you'll be able to destroy the world is if the DM were to allow it. So there may be plot items that can destroy the world. If they didn't exist already said DM could make something up.

In the Monster Campaign I'm going to be doing, One of the Artifacts is an Axe which I'm having trouble coming up with a name of ("Destroyer's Voice" and "Holocaust" are about the best I've got. I want to avoid any "of" names) it's very heavy, and very sharp, to the point that it can cut anything. So, in this case all one would have to do is say they're going to cut the planet.

Not that I'll let anyone actually do that.

Other game worlds might have some kind of gem that opens a portal to the evil alien robot dimension, so the players could use it and summon the evil alien robots who would then eat the planet. While being evil.

AslanCross
2007-10-14, 07:16 AM
I saw this trick on the D&D CharOps boards once, and repost it every time someone asks about destroying the world.

1. Take the Locate City spell (from Cityscape, I believe) and apply Snowcasting (FB) to it. This gives it the [cold] descriptor.
2. Now that it is [cold], apply Flash Frost (FB). This makes it do 2 cold damage to everything in the area, which is ten miles per CL.
3. Apply Energy Substitution (Comp.Arc). This turns the cold damage into electricity.
4. Now that it does elecricity damage, it is a valid target for Born of the Three Thunders (PHBII). This makes it do half electricity and half sonic damage, but more importantly, it also allows a Reflex save for half damage, which allows you to...
5. ...apply Explosive Spell (Comp.Arc) to this mess. This makes anyone who fails an additional save be pushed back to the edge of the radius and take 1d6 per ten feet travelled.

*deep breath*

End Result: Snowcasting Flash Frost Energy Substitution (Electricity) Born of the Three Thunders Explosive Locate City. With all the metamagic, this is a 4th level spell (assume level 7). When you cast this, anyone within seventy miles must make a Reflex save or be blown back to the extreme of the area and take 1d6 per ten feet travelled. They are travelling seventy miles.

Congratulations, you are now dealing (5280 / 10 x 70) 36,960d6 at level seven, with an additional 5,280d6 per level, to everyone and everything within seventy miles. That's an average of 129,360 damage (untyped, too).

Best of all, since this spell is only fourth level, you can make wands of it. Hand them out to your fanatical cultist followers, space them out in stratagetic locations and major cities, and let lose.

This is awesome. I am so showing this to my wizard players. With a big "BANNED" stamp on it.

boomwolf
2007-10-14, 07:30 AM
How to destroy the world in 3 simple steps:

1-Dig a big hole (10 mile wide and 10 miles deep)

2-Make/get a ****lot of amulets of fireballs (i think thats the name) so that they will fill the hole

3-Cast fireball on them. massive chain reaction. hell lot of damage that will make such fire that SHOULD be able to ignite the earth itself.

More simple (1 step!):

Create a planar portal (nobody cares how) into the center of a sun. the sun should be sucked into the planar portal (as it is jest hot gases that are drawn to the center, and everything in the center goes by the planar portal), now the sun is where your world was a moment ago. your would have evaporated.
Idea taken from farscape. (the episode when john lunches a sun on the spaceship of the crocodile alien thingys that i forgot their name using wormholes.)

Illiterate Scribe
2007-10-14, 07:36 AM
I've seen nice things involving timestop, and then filling the whole plane with quintessence - one of the few ways of utterly destroying it. It does need a warforged, though.

kpenguin
2007-10-14, 07:51 AM
There's always releasing Tharzidun out into the multiverse.

BardicDuelist
2007-10-14, 06:50 PM
Isn't there a name that if you say it three times, everything dies? From an OLD Dieties and Demigods?

martyboy74
2007-10-14, 08:09 PM
If a kobold says Pazuzu's name three times, the world's as good as gone.

More seriously, what would happen if you had a high enough caster level to put the planet's core in a resilient sphere. I imagine that it couldn't be good.

Machete
2007-10-14, 08:13 PM
Well, I'd construct a golem to dig into the underdark and release that worm thingy abberation god upon the overworld. The one that eats anything and produces bilestone in its wake.

Felius
2007-10-14, 08:22 PM
Get a sphere of aniquilitaion and an infinite lifetime. Start destroying the world

BRC
2007-10-14, 08:25 PM
It's easy to destroy the world in DnD, you sneak into the DM's house at night, and burn all his sourcebooks and notes.

martyboy74
2007-10-14, 08:28 PM
Get Disintegrate as a SLA at will, or dominate something that does. Destroy one 10' cube at a time.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-14, 08:49 PM
Summon the Mortiverse. Then, unsummon it. Done, you're the world, basically.

Or do the mother of all world killers, and just ask for it to Pun-Pun with pretty please with cherry on top.

bugsysservant
2007-10-14, 09:17 PM
Create a custom magic item of Ray of Frost which will shoot every round. (price: about 1000 gp)
Point said ray at the earth.
Wait.

Since E=mc^2, and you are pumping continuous negative energy into the plane, given enough time, there will be nothing left.

Alternatively, create numerous such items and fire them at a single point simultaneously. Given sufficient rays, you should be able to get below 0 K, at which point the universe will explode in a shower of physics and catgirl innards.

Finally, you could create a permanent teleportation circle in a vaccuum which deposits its cargo directly on the ceiling above it (it says it has to end on a horizontal surface, not a surface parrallel to the earth). Drop a single copper piece onto the circle. As the copper piece gains momentum from the continuous falling (no air, no terminal velocity) it will gain mass by E=mc^2. Eventually it will become a black hole, and suck the earth and all inhabitants into it (gradually).

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-14, 09:36 PM
OR, it'll time travel. Things can go faster than light, y'know. Blatantly contradicts Einstein? Ya. Proven as, at least, theoretically possible (and maybe practically with a special supercollider)? Hell yes.

Swordguy
2007-10-14, 09:49 PM
Yeah, that antimatter trick, though impressive, wouldn't destroy the world. Your damage output there is a bit over 29 million megatons. The meteor that killed off the dinosaurs was 100 million. So, it would probably cause one hell of an explosion, but probably not destroy the ecosystem sized. Pretty close though, fun trick.

Why is osmium better? You want more density for a bigger explosion, correct? I suggest Roentgenium, highest density (straight off the periodic table) with a halflife of seconds. It's heavier, I believe.

You're correct in all counts. However, it DOES destroy the Earth in D&D, through depletion of HP. From the PC Stupidity Thread:

Since it was asked, I though I'd share something:

Assume that the earth is a uniform substance throughout: hewn stone. In reality, it's much less dense and hardy than this, but if we can blow up a solid rock earth, we can blow up the real one.

Now, the earth has a volume of 10,832,073,000,000,000 cubic meters. A 10x10x3 stone wall (300 cubic meters) has Hardness 8 and 540 hp, for a total of 548 points of damage capacity. 36,106,910,000,000 of those stone walls can fit in the earth. 548 hp x 36,106,910,000,000 = 19,786,586,680,000,000

19.8 quadrillion hp damage to destroy the earth utterly. Now, actually, it would take a lot less to simply break it apart into large planetoid-like fragments. Probably less than half that.

A 50th level wizard generates 685,807,615,638,766,519,030 average damage with the Created Anti-Osmium Nuke. That's 685.8 quintillion damage. The planet's toast.

A 17th level caster creates 5.18 cubic meters of AO. This produces a yield of 10,084,142,769,981 ktons of TNT. The produces 10,084,142,769,981,696,156 grams of TNT. 454 grams is equal to 1 lb of TNT (3d6 damage). Dividing 10,084,142,769,981,696,156 by 454 we get 22,211,768,215,818,714 increments of 3d6. 22,211,768,215,818,714 x3.5 (for average damage) comes out to 77,741,188,755,365,419 hp average damage.

A 17th level caster does 77.7 quadrillion damage-easily enough to fragment the earth into pieces.

A wizard casting it at minimum level (9th) will do 41,149,567,976,661,361 hp damage on average. 41.15 quadrillion damage. Again, the earth is at least toasty on a minimum damage roll. You're looking at severe climate and continental shift, and the assured extinction of everything on earth, as well as enough chunks being blown off it to put the earth off its rotational axis and probably tear itself apart via centrifugal force. No, I'm not doing that math.

As for the blast radius, well:
Well, when I figured out that for every foot AoE a nuke has, the yield will be roughly 0.01056kt. (1 megaton nuke = 2 mile blast radius).

The blast radius for the lvl 50 caster is 28,080,506,622,878,787 feet, or 53,182,777,060 miles.

The explosion reaches slightly more than halfway to the sun.

BOO-yah!

Surgeon General's Warning: NEVER ALLOW THIS COMBINATION IN REAL GAME PLAY. Swordguy cannot be held liable for destruction of game world, game system, or gaming group caused by the use of this spell.

bugsysservant
2007-10-14, 09:51 PM
OR, it'll time travel. Things can go faster than light, y'know. Blatantly contradicts Einstein? Ya. Proven as, at least, theoretically possible (and maybe practically with a special supercollider)? Hell yes.

I believ it has actually happened, though only with photons.

But no, the copper piece wouldn't time travel. Each flight between the teleport circle and its exit would just give it a set amount of energy, namely the gravitational potentional energy of the exit, minus that of the circle itself. Since it requires more energy to increase speed as one approaches the speed of light, the rate of acceleration would slow, though the rate of energy gained would not. Before it could be given the infinite energy necesary to violate c, it would have collapsed into a black hole, and sucked up the teleport circle anyway.

Dausuul
2007-10-14, 09:54 PM

Is this quantum entanglement you're talking about here? If so, you're wrong. It doesn't allow FTL travel or even FTL communication. To the best of my knowledge, no one has proven FTL travel to be possible, either in theory or in practice. That'd be really big news.

bugsysservant
2007-10-14, 09:57 PM
Is this quantum entanglement you're talking about here? If so, you're wrong. It doesn't allow FTL travel or even FTL communication. To the best of my knowledge, no one has proven FTL travel to be possible, either in theory or in practice. That'd be really big news.

By googling "photon exceeds the speed of light" the second link that comes up is this (http://library.thinkquest.org/28049/speed_of_light.htm) If you skim down to the last four paragraphs, it outlines the experiment which seems to have allowed a photon to travel faster than the speed of light. And it isn't big news because no one seems to care about physics. :smallfrown:

NecroRebel
2007-10-14, 10:09 PM
But no, the copper piece wouldn't time travel. Each flight between the teleport circle and its exit would just give it a set amount of energy, namely the gravitational potentional energy of the exit, minus that of the circle itself. Since it requires more energy to increase speed as one approaches the speed of light, the rate of acceleration would slow, though the rate of energy gained would not. Before it could be given the infinite energy necesary to violate c, it would have collapsed into a black hole, and sucked up the teleport circle anyway.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is incorrect. The energy required to accelerate something increases as you near c because the object's mass increases. However, gravitational attraction is based off of the masses of the both objects being attracted to one another. Thus, as mass increases due to relativistic effect, so does the force being applied to the coin, so acceleration due to gravity remains constant, so change in velocity remains constant, so the energy gain remains constant. Or maybe the energy gain grows exponentially since it's based off of mass as well, which is increasing exponentially with velocity.

...Though you're right, by the time you get to c you'd still have shattered the teleport rig long since. Not to mention that it's entirely probable that I am wrong about all this. Haven't taken physics for a couple years :smallredface:

Telvos
2007-10-14, 10:24 PM

*deep breath*

You just became my hero.

bugsysservant
2007-10-14, 10:24 PM
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is incorrect. The energy required to accelerate something increases as you near c because the object's mass increases. However, gravitational attraction is based off of the masses of the both objects being attracted to one another. Thus, as mass increases due to relativistic effect, so does the force being applied to the coin, so acceleration due to gravity remains constant, so change in velocity remains constant, so the energy gain remains constant. Or maybe the energy gain grows exponentially since it's based off of mass as well, which is increasing exponentially with velocity.

...Though you're right, by the time you get to c you'd still have shattered the teleport rig long since. Not to mention that it's entirely probable that I am wrong about all this. Haven't taken physics for a couple years :smallredface:

Hmm, hadn't thought of that. I'm used to just basing everything off of possible scenarios which don't violate the laws of physics (silly me). But I still think that it wouldn't exceed c, because no matter how dense it gets, each pass still imparts a finite amount of energy, and thus won't reach an infinite amount without infinite time.

'Course my physics teacher didn't exactly learn me good. I know more about modern physics than she did, so I actively forgot most of what she told me. ("Leptons are made of quarks." *twitch*)

Edit: actually, I may be using bad logic. it depends on which way the cause and effect works out to be. If it imparts a set speed boost, by your argument, it would exceed c as a linear function. If it gives it any quantity of finite energy, it would fail to exceed c by mine. I think that the latter is the case because the energy imparted is linear, I believe, from simple Newtonian physics, whereas the energy needed is exponential, approaching infinite as it approaches c. Oof, 11:30 Pm is not a good time for bugsysservant to think about impossible physics, so forgive me if I am off. I'll reevaluate my logic tommorrow (during school, most likely)

kamikasei
2007-10-14, 10:33 PM

Hmmm. I think I see a problem with this. You're not dealing that full amount of damage to everyone within the area; the further they are from you, the closer they are to the edge of the area, the less distance they travel and the less damage they take. If a person standing right next to you takes 129,360 damage on average, then a person at distance x' takes:
(129,360 * (369,600 - x))/369,600
...369,600 being the seventy miles' worth of feet.

Bassetking
2007-10-14, 11:20 PM

*punches ground*
*Eberron dies*

That'd be mine. The 1d2 Crusader. At level 12, he can produce infinite damage.

Cleric 1 (this nets you both a Cure light wounds, and the ability to take Imbue Healing: Luck. The feat allows you to, for a number of minutes equal to the level of healing spell you just cast, treat all damage rolled as 1's as 2's.)

Crusader 2-12(Finishing with Aura of Chaos.)

Aura of Chaos allows you to, if you maximize any of your rolled damage dice, add the dice's result to your damage, and re-roll the maximized dice. You can continue to roll, until you no longer roll the dice's maximum.

Use a 1d2 weapon.

Heal yourself. This triggers the Imbued Healing.

Hit something with the 1d2 weapon. Roll damage. If you roll a 2, add to damage, and roll again. If you roll a 1, treat it as a 2, add it to damage, and roll again.

Tah-dah. Infinite damage.

Now, direct this damage to the plane upon which you are standing. Deal infinite damage to the plane. Congrats, you're the first individual to Kill Barovia.

Wonder if infinite untyped damage is enough to cleanse the taint of Ravenloft.:smallbiggrin: