PDA

View Full Version : Vague Dragon Heist advice needed(also multiclass build advice)

chainer1216
2019-08-30, 05:40 AM
I got a surprise invite to a game last week and the session zero turned into a session 1 due to enthusiasm, which was awesome but having to throw a character together quickly has left me doubting my choice.

The party(all lvl1)
Dragonborn paladin
A rogue of some sort
Drow ranger
Tiefling warlock
And me the V. Human fighter

So when i made my character i asked everyone if we wanted a bard to be a jack of all trades and halp out with some healing or a barbarian to aid the paladin in the frontlines, the players pretty much unanimously said frontline guy.

Looking at my options i decide to go with dual weilding over great weapon because i rolled good stats and didnt want to overshadow the other PCs, that choice led me to taking my first level in fighter to get the weapon style for str to offhand, with the intention of going barb from here on out.

the session ended ut was a great time but as i said now im second guessing it because i realised im pushing back my ASI to 5th level(the end of the module) and never gaining extra attack. Im now torn between just staying fighter for all the fighter goodness or goin ftr1/barb4 for bearbarian and the damage resistance to help lessen the burden of the paladin.

TL;DR
I domt know anything about Dragon Heist, and my party lacks in healing/damage mitigation, should i multiclass to get damage resistance or just stay fighter for the 3rd attack?

Evaar
2019-08-30, 10:24 AM
I’d stay Fighter. Instead of Rage’s damage resistance you’ll get Second Wind on a short rest. You’ll get Action Surge for nova damage, which with dual wielding will give you 4 attacks in a turn. At 3 you can go Battlemaster for some control options to potentially mitigate damage or Eldritch Knight for Shield to protect yourself. Nothing wrong with a pure Fighter in the front lines.

Khrysaes
2019-08-30, 10:32 AM
I’d stay Fighter. Instead of Rage’s damage resistance you’ll get Second Wind on a short rest. You’ll get Action Surge for nova damage, which with dual wielding will give you 4 attacks in a turn. At 3 you can go Battlemaster for some control options to potentially mitigate damage or Eldritch Knight for Shield to protect yourself. Nothing wrong with a pure Fighter in the front lines.

Because the second attackof twf is a bonus action action surge only brings it to 3 attacks.

That said, i would also stay fighter. If you are allowed to rebuild the character i would suggest a valenar double scimitar (dm willing) with great weapon fighting style. Your average damage will be slightly higher(2 points or so) and it is cool.

If you can rebuild even more, and convince the dm, get revenent blade feat for your vhuman feat and get 1 ac, 2d4 for bonus action attack, instead of 1d4, and +1 stat. You could make a dex buld for good ac this way.

LordEntrails
2019-08-30, 10:37 AM
Your party's composition is just fine. Don't worry about healing or damage mitigation. It won't be an issue. Just play the concept you want and have fun.

Nhorianscum
2019-08-30, 02:54 PM
I got a surprise invite to a game last week and the session zero turned into a session 1 due to enthusiasm, which was awesome but having to throw a character together quickly has left me doubting my choice.

The party(all lvl1)
Dragonborn paladin
A rogue of some sort
Drow ranger
Tiefling warlock
And me the V. Human fighter

So when i made my character i asked everyone if we wanted a bard to be a jack of all trades and halp out with some healing or a barbarian to aid the paladin in the frontlines, the players pretty much unanimously said frontline guy.

Looking at my options i decide to go with dual weilding over great weapon because i rolled good stats and didnt want to overshadow the other PCs, that choice led me to taking my first level in fighter to get the weapon style for str to offhand, with the intention of going barb from here on out.

the session ended ut was a great time but as i said now im second guessing it because i realised im pushing back my ASI to 5th level(the end of the module) and never gaining extra attack. Im now torn between just staying fighter for all the fighter goodness or goin ftr1/barb4 for bearbarian and the damage resistance to help lessen the burden of the paladin.

TL;DR
I domt know anything about Dragon Heist, and my party lacks in healing/damage mitigation, should i multiclass to get damage resistance or just stay fighter for the 3rd attack?

Healing cannot save you if heist goes sideways and hp pots are plentiful in official modules.

Just have fun with your fighter if that's what you want to play.

Evaar
2019-08-30, 06:29 PM
Because the second attackof twf is a bonus action action surge only brings it to 3 attacks.

Whoops, you're right. For some reason I was thinking you get a full turn's worth of new actions.