PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Seeking suggestions: Clockwork Crossbow(s)

Zhorn
2019-08-30, 06:43 AM
Storm King's Thunder, Hundlestone, Thwip's Workshop.
Players are going to do some monster slaying for the town, and Thwip has offered a discount on his wares once the players are done.
So, along with a few flavour items, I'm looking to include a few mechanical/clockwork crossbows in the store's inventory.
Looking for suggestions (note: specifically not magic items)
Ideas so far:

Heavy crossbow with Burst Fire (DMG p267), and a drum magazine of 20 bolts. Single shots still use loading (the idea is this is a prototype, so it's either overclock or nothing).

Light Repeating Crossbow (Out of the Abyss p224), 6 shot magazine for reload.

Non-magic version of the bolt-blaster (Nott's weapon, Critical Role), hand crossbow, natural 20's launch an additional bolt at the target, natural 1's backfire a bolt at the wielder.

Vogie
2019-08-30, 07:28 AM
Mundane Light Double Crossbow - still has the loading property, but can fire 2 bolts after loading
Collapsing Hand Crossbow - Same a regular hand crossbow, but has advantage on stealth or deception checks to keep it hidden, and can be drawn as part of a move action.
Sniper Heavy Crossbow - Normally a heavy crossbow, but if you don't use any of your movement this turn, and use your bonus action to line up the shot, it gives a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls and the damage die becomes a d12
Disarming Crossbow - whenever you roll an 18-19, you can choose to forgo your attack and instead do a ranged disarm attempt (using DMG rules), dealing no damage but making the target drop an object or weapon it is carrying.

DevilMcam
2019-08-30, 07:37 AM
Fancy high power autoloading hand crossbow

The hand crossbow features stronger stoping power and is able to load itself from its quiver, ignoring the loadibg properly.
Hower due to the superior recoil it is considered two handed and Heavy.
For the statblock : 1d8 piercing, ranged amunition, 2 handed, Heavy.
Range 60/200

Zhorn
2019-08-30, 10:38 AM
Mundane Light Double Crossbow - still has the loading property, but can fire 2 bolts after loading
I do like the Waylander vibe from this, but sadly outclassed by the light repeating crossbow from Out of the Abyss. The two shots gets past the loading issue for all but Fighters without needing the Crossbow Expert feat, which I'm hesitant about (hence the Burst Fire heavy crossbow still having loading for regular attacks). The light repeating crossbows having the Reload rule lets then get up to 6 shots off, but reloading eats into actions or bonus actions as the trade off.

Collapsing Hand Crossbow - Same a regular hand crossbow, but has advantage on stealth or deception checks to keep it hidden, and can be drawn as part of a move action.
The conceal part is neat, and I could see it being useful on stealth missions. The drawing implication is a strange inclusion, as
1 - Drawing a weapon is more a function of the character than of the weapon, and
2 - Characters already get 1 object interaction per turn that doesn't consume their action or reaction.
Not sure I want alter that aspect of the action economy.

Sniper Heavy Crossbow - Normally a heavy crossbow, but if you don't use any of your movement this turn, and use your bonus action to line up the shot, it gives a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls and the damage die becomes a d12
Think I'll pass here. +1's are probably best left to magic items, and a hit should follow the same damage dice consistently. I can see some troubling situations where damage would have to be retroactively re-rolled if the character attacked at the start f their turn, rolled damage, then decided to move anyway, negating that bonus.

Disarming Crossbow - whenever you roll an 18-19, you can choose to forgo your attack and instead do a ranged disarm attempt (using DMG rules), dealing no damage but making the target drop an object or weapon it is carrying.

Skill shots would be less a function of the weapon and more an aspect of the character's ability. Leaving that to the Battle Masters.

Fancy high power autoloading hand crossbow

The hand crossbow features stronger stoping power and is able to load itself from its quiver, ignoring the loadibg properly.
Hower due to the superior recoil it is considered two handed and Heavy.
For the statblock : 1d8 piercing, ranged amunition, 2 handed, Heavy.
Range 60/200
Ignoring loading without Crossbow Expert or Reload is a bit too far. Other than that the light repeating crossbow from Out of the Abyss covers the rest of this.