PDA

View Full Version : Dire Goose

MaxMahem
2007-10-13, 01:52 AM
This started as a joke in one of my friends recent campaigns and I thought I would share it with you. The (semi) in game conversation that sparked it went something like this.

NPC: So basically you guys are being sent on a wild goose chase.
Cleric (none to bright): What kind of goose needs 4 armed and dangerous adventurers to hunt it down?
Beguiler (me): Well maybe its a 'Dire Goose?'

We all had a good laugh at that, but it inspired me to stat up some Geese and Dire Geese. Whom we all agreed could possibly be frightening opponents.

Goose/Gander CR 1/2
CN Small Animal
Initiative +1; Senses low-light vision; Listen +5, Spot +5

AC 13 (+1 Dex, +1 natural, +1 Size), touch 12, flat-footed 12
HP 16 (2d8+7)
Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +2

Speed 20 ft, fly 60 ft (average), swim 20 ft
Melee nip +2 (1d2)
Base Attack +1; Grapple -3
Special Actions Honk

Abilities Str 10, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 5
SQ Low-light vision, honk
Feats Alertness(B), Toughness(B), Skill Focus (Intimidate)
Skills Spot(1) +5, Listen(1) +5, Intimidate(3) +3

Honk (Ex) As a standard action a Goose can emit a startling honk. Everyone within 30ft must make a DC 8 Will save or become shaken for one round. Those who succeed on the will save are immune to the Gooses ability for 24 hours. Only creatures with fewer HD then the Goose can be effected. This ability is similar to the frightful presence ability of dragon.

Dire Goose/Gander CR 2
CN Medium Animal
Initiative +0; Senses low-light vision; Listen +6, Spot +6

AC 11 (+1 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 10
HP 48 (6d8+21)
Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +9

Speed 20 ft, fly 60 ft (average), swim 20 ft
Melee nip +6 (1d3+2)
Base Attack +4; Grapple +6
Special Actions Honk

Abilities Str 14, Dex 11, Con 16, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6
SQ Low-light vision, honk
Feats AlertnessB, ToughnessB, Skill Focus (Intimidate), Ability Focus (Honk), Iron Will
Skills Spot(2) +6, Listen(2) +6, Intimidate(5) +5

Honk (Ex) As a standard action a Dire Goose can emit a startling honk. Everyone within 30ft must make a DC 13 Will save or become shaken for one round. Those who succeed on the will save are immune to the Dire Gooses ability for 24 hours. Only creatures with fewer HD then the Dire Goose can be effected. This ability is similar to the frightful presence ability of dragon.

Geese are one of the largest and most dangerous of the non-predatory birds. They have been bred since ancient times as a source of both meat and eggs, and sometimes used as watch animals.

--

Pretty silly but I thought I would share. If anyone interested I may do a "gaggle" of geese and dire geese as well.