PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] Looking For Items

Thurbane
2019-08-30, 06:13 PM
I'm looking for magic items that allow one to Polymorph otherwise change-shape into a normal animal form (or forms).

So not looking for general polymorph-into-anything items, or those that allow monstrous forms. Items that limit changing shape to a normal animal(s).

Are there any out there?

Trying to avoid custom items (i.e. Amulet of Aspect of the Wolf) if possible.

Would prefer to avoid Dragon Mag; and no PF, Dragonlance, Kalamar, Ravenloft or Rokugan items please. No home-brew.

Cheers - T

Should make it clear, looking for permanent items, not staves, wands, scrolls or skull talismans etc.

Bronk
2019-08-30, 07:25 PM
I'm looking for magic items that allow one to Polymorph otherwise change-shape into a normal animal form (or forms).

So not looking for general polymorph-into-anything items, or those that allow monstrous forms. Items that limit changing shape to a normal animal(s).

Are there any out there?

Trying to avoid custom items (i.e. Amulet of Aspect of the Wolf) if possible.

Would prefer to avoid Dragon Mag; and no PF, Dragonlance, Kalamar, Ravenloft or Rokugan items please. No home-brew.

Cheers - T

Should make it clear, looking for permanent items, not staves, wands, scrolls or skull talismans etc.

So, specifically only animals, and never monsters...

The DMG/SRD has the Cloak of the Bat and the Cloak of the Manta Ray. Aside from that, Dragon 291 has the Warfox Harness, which changes a fox into a dire fox. Everything else I have notes on also allows monsters (Carnival Mirror, Phylactery of Change) or only monsters (Skull of Dragonform).

TheCount
2019-08-31, 01:14 AM
sadly both Phylactery of change from AaEG and the Protean Psyhoactive skin from MIC (for the newest version iirc) are general plymorph/metamorphosys so they are out.

ShurikVch
2019-08-31, 07:30 AM
Cape of the Viper (Magic Item Compendium) - transforms you into a viper for 7 rounds

Mask of the Tiger (Dungeon #104) - grants the wearer the ability to polymorph into a tiger 1/day for up to 8 hours; [cursed] item - every time it's used wearer should make DC 15 Fort save vs lycanthropy

Thurbane
2019-08-31, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I'm trying to find a "base-line" to price a custom item for my own campaign.

An item that allows polymorph into the form of a normal owl, 1/day.

If I follow the pricing guidelines for 1/day polymorph, I feel it would be massively overpriced if you are only able to turn into an owl.

Mr Adventurer
2019-08-31, 07:20 PM
Could you base it on the Winged Watcher spell instead?

Thurbane
2019-08-31, 07:45 PM
Could you base it on the Winged Watcher spell instead?

Brilliant! I was unaware of this spell. I can definitely base the custom item on this to save costs...