PDA

View Full Version : All the knowledgeable classes

Trandir
2019-08-31, 08:46 AM
What are classes with all the monster related knowledge?

Any class with knowledge domain does, kind of.
Generic classes from UA can select any skill as class skills
Adept
Archivist
Aristocrat
Bard
Dragonfire Adept
Duskblade
Erudite
Expert
Factotum
Human Paragon
Magewright
Marshal
Psion
Savant
Shugenja
Truenamer
Wizard
Wu Jen

Credit for the list Thurbane

pabelfly
2019-08-31, 08:55 AM
Truenamer comes with all Knowledge skills. The downside of that is being a Truenamer

Biggus
2019-08-31, 09:14 AM
Is this in relation to your character who's having the at-will Shapechange item made? If so, worth considering a custom item which gives +5 to all of them for 21,250GP if you have any cash left.

EDIT: to actually answer your question:

Adept
Archivist
Aristocrat
Bard
Cleric (Knowledge domain)
Dragonfire Adept
Duskblade
Erudite
Expert
Factotum
Human Paragon
Magewright
Marshal
Psion
Savant
Shugenja
Truenamer
Wizard
Wu Jen

EDIT2: This thread may be of interest to you:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?451088-Alternative-ways-to-get-new-Class-skills

Trandir
2019-08-31, 09:52 AM
Is this in relation to your character who's having the at-will Shapechange item made? If so, worth considering a custom item which gives +5 to all of them for 21,250GP if you have any cash left.

EDIT: to actually answer your question:

Adept
Archivist
Aristocrat
Bard
Dragonfire Adept
Duskblade
Erudite
Expert
Factotum
Human Paragon
Magewright
Marshal
Psion
Savant
Shugenja
Truenamer
Wizard
Wu Jen

EDIT2: This thread may be of interest to you:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?451088-Alternative-ways-to-get-new-Class-skills

Hello yes it is indeed the rreason why I created this thread.
With a dip I can try skill checks to be familiar with anything.

That custom item is not necessary, I created another custom item: Celestial Armor, Weightless, with continuous Guidance of the Avatar. This little thing provides a good +20 competence bonus to all skills at any time, and costs 72.000 gp. That item would also have competence bonus and the 2 of them do not stack.

And thanks for the help with the classes. This will be usefull. But tecnically also the npc classes from UA can have knowlege as class skills so they should be in that list right?
Duskblade and factotum offer an intresting package any advice n what to pick?

Malphegor
2019-08-31, 10:41 AM
Archivists specifically get dark knowledge, which is their main ‘Horror’ bit to keep them in Heroes of Horror- they know secrets about random creatures and entities that man was not ought to know of, specifically giving their entire party a bonus if they get the check DCs.

bean illus
2019-08-31, 10:53 AM
Adept
Archivist
Aristocrat
Bard
Dragonfire Adept
Duskblade
Erudite
Expert
Factotum
Human Paragon
Magewright
Marshal
Psion
Savant
Shugenja
Truenamer
Wizard
Wu Jen

Duskblade starts strong but poor skill access (other than knowledge).
Abrupt jaunt wizard?

* Oh, what about archivist? Int based casting, and dark knowledge tactics has synergy with knowledge devotion.

EDIT: ninja award to Malphegor

Edit 2
Savant nets 6 skills (any) and has a class feature that let's you pick a skill to share all ranks with an ally. 'Hide ally'?

gorfnab
2019-08-31, 01:31 PM
The Urban Savant prestige class from Cityscape has some very interesting monster knowledge related abilities.

Biggus
2019-08-31, 01:38 PM
Hello yes it is indeed the rreason why I created this thread.
With a dip I can try skill checks to be familiar with anything.

That custom item is not necessary, I created another custom item: Celestial Armor, Weightless, with continuous Guidance of the Avatar. This little thing provides a good +20 competence bonus to all skills at any time, and costs 72.000 gp. That item would also have competence bonus and the 2 of them do not stack.

And thanks for the help with the classes. This will be usefull. But tecnically also the npc classes from UA can have knowlege as class skills so they should be in that list right?

You're very welcome :smallsmile:

Your DM is letting you have a continuous Guidance of the Avatar item? Wow, they really are completely nuts very generous aren't they?

In that case, maybe a continuous Divine Insight item too? That would stack as it's an Insight bonus, and for the basic version (+8) would only cost 12,000GP (if you wanted the maximum +15 bonus it'd be 60,000GP).

When you say the NPC classes from UA do you mean the generic classes? If not, what page are the classes you're talking about on?

Zaq
2019-08-31, 01:40 PM
Are you looking for a single-level dip or for a sustained investment?

For a single-level dip, it's hard to beat dragonfire adept (Dragon Magic). All Knowledges in-class, and you can take the draconic knowledge invocation to get a +6 typeless bonus to all Knowledge checks all day every day (which also lets you use the skills even without training). Only 4+INT to invest, but that's still better than wizard gives you.

For an investment, yeah, truenamer is hard to beat for being a know-it-all. The first three levels give you universal aptitude, the knowledge focus class feature, and hidden truth, plus all Knowledges in-class. That's +15 to any arbitrary Knowledge check with your two utterances, maybe a +3 on top of that from knowledge focus if you pick the right type, and whatever skill points you invest. But you've gotta keep up that investment and maintain your Truespeak mod if you want to be able to actually use those utterances to get bonuses.

Do look at the Collector of Stories skill trick in Complete Scoundrel. Might be useful. Skill tricks only work once per encounter, but even so, it's some damn fine return on investment.

Trandir
2019-08-31, 02:18 PM
You're very welcome :smallsmile:

Your DM is letting you have a continuous Guidance of the Avatar item? Wow, they really are completely nuts very generous aren't they?

In that case, maybe a continuous Divine Insight item too? That would stack as it's an Insight bonus, and for the basic version (+8) would only cost 12,000GP (if you wanted the maximum +15 bonus it'd be 60,000GP).

When you say the NPC classes from UA do you mean the generic classes? If not, what page are the classes you're talking about on?

No he is just an idiot when it comes to magic items, I got nothing and so does the master of many forms in our party, the sorcerer got a glove that maximize all damaging spells and a chalice that provides him 5 extra known spells per spell level (at level 18 he knows six 9th level spells by default), the cleric got a something like 3 maces with enchantment bonus +8-10 one of them even adds the BAB to damage and as an houserule the complessive bonus counts as bonus not only the + (a flamming sword +4 add 5 to damage and to hit).

I could do it. But having permanently a +37(masterwork tools+GotA+divine insight) is a quite a lot isn't it?

Oh true they are generic classes but UA says that they are build for npc use so I call them that but they are in fact more generic than unplayable.

Are you looking for a single-level dip or for a sustained investment?

For a single-level dip, it's hard to beat dragonfire adept (Dragon Magic). All Knowledges in-class, and you can take the draconic knowledge invocation to get a +6 typeless bonus to all Knowledge checks all day every day (which also lets you use the skills even without training). Only 4+INT to invest, but that's still better than wizard gives you.

For an investment, yeah, truenamer is hard to beat for being a know-it-all. The first three levels give you universal aptitude, the knowledge focus class feature, and hidden truth, plus all Knowledges in-class. That's +15 to any arbitrary Knowledge check with your two utterances, maybe a +3 on top of that from knowledge focus if you pick the right type, and whatever skill points you invest. But you've gotta keep up that investment and maintain your Truespeak mod if you want to be able to actually use those utterances to get bonuses.

Do look at the Collector of Stories skill trick in Complete Scoundrel. Might be useful. Skill tricks only work once per encounter, but even so, it's some damn fine return on investment.

Single level dip. The DM is a dumbass and a dip offers 4×skill ranks and max HD so one level will be more than enough to identify every monster I might ever encounter and still having some left

Buddy76
2019-08-31, 04:03 PM
I think you need to be a second level DFA to take Draconic Knowledge, but other than that it's pretty good, indeed. Ardent is another class that gives you all the Knowledge skills plus the Knowledge Mantle allows you to make Knowledge untrained while psionically focused and the ability to spend said focus to gain +5 on a knowledge checks (all of that for a single level).
A single level in Jade Phoenix Mage also allows you to make knowledge checks untrained and gives you a +2 bonus to all knowledge checks, but is a very specific PRC.

Trandir
2019-08-31, 04:27 PM
I think you need to be a second level DFA to take Draconic Knowledge, but other than that it's pretty good, indeed. Ardent is another class that gives you all the Knowledge skills plus the Knowledge Mantle allows you to make Knowledge untrained while psionically focused and the ability to spend said focus to gain +5 on a knowledge checks (all of that for a single level).
A single level in Jade Phoenix Mage also allows you to make knowledge checks untrained and gives you a +2 bonus to all knowledge checks, but is a very specific PRC.

Well dragon magic has no particular requirement I quote "A 1st-level dragonfire adept begins with knowledge of one least invocation, gaining access to more invocations and higher grades as she attains levels" so I can take any one of the least invocations, and I did that class is interesting.

But after adjusting all modifiers my knowledge with the lowest bonus still has +46. Yep pretty good

Buddy76
2019-08-31, 04:32 PM
Well tragon magic has no particular requirement I quote "A 1st-level dragonfire adept begins with knowledge of one least invocation, gaining access to more invocations and higher grades as she attains levels" so I can take any one of the least invocations, and I did that class is interesting.

But after adjusting all modifiers my knowledge with the lowest bonus still has +46. Yep pretty good

That's true, I got Invocations mixed with Breath Effects (that have a minimum level requirement). Anyway, +46 is a pretty impressive bonus. Enjoy your character :)

Biggus
2019-08-31, 08:17 PM
Credit for the list Biggus

Actually credit goes to Thurbane, I just found the list on an old thread on this site.

In that case, if your DM does allow you to make Knowledge checks to assume forms of creatures you haven't met in-game, try an adult Prismatic Dragon (if you don't mind having books thrown at you). 48HD, CR39...

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/dragonEpic.htm#prismaticDragon

Trandir
2019-09-01, 04:08 AM
Actually credit goes to Thurbane, I just found the list on an old thread on this site.

In that case, if your DM does allow you to make Knowledge checks to assume forms of creatures you haven't met in-game, try an adult Prismatic Dragon (if you don't mind having books thrown at you). 48HD, CR39...

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/dragonEpic.htm#prismaticDragon

Ok changed but I have thank you anyway for actually finding it.

Yea probably I won't cheese shapechange around so it won't be necessary

Biggus
2019-09-01, 02:59 PM
Yea probably I won't cheese shapechange around so it won't be necessary

I was mostly joking. Might be worth doing once just to see the look on your DM's face though... :smallwink: