PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Can this build dual wield greatswords (Path of War)?

Vulsutyr
2019-08-31, 09:44 AM
I'm making my first pathfinder 1e character for a game this week. I am going to play a TWF Finesse Warlord (from the Path of War supplement). I was planning to go with a rapier and a shortsword for the light weapon bonus to TWF. But I found the stance Twin Thunder Stance from the Piercing Thunder discipline that has this text:

"While you maintain this stance, You can wield normally two-handed weapons as one-handed weapons, and you gain the benefits of the Two-Weapon Fighting feat while using two discipline weapons in either hand (even if you do not meet its prerequisites).

If you already possess the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, you may instead wield one or both of weapons as light weapons (reducing the penalties further and making them eligible for use with feats such as Weapon Finesse or Deadly Agility), and you gain the benefits of the Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feat, or the Greater Two-Weapon Fighting if you already possessed Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, even if you do not meet these feats’ prerequisites. You do not need to be wielding multiple weapons to gain the benefits of this stance."

I think this means that I can dual-wield greatswords in this stance just like I would TWFight with shortswords. Is it really that simple?

Also, does anyone know if the Thrashing Dragon Style feat chain is worth taking?

Castilonium
2019-08-31, 07:42 PM
I think this means that I can dual-wield greatswords in this stance just like I would TWFight with shortswords. Is it really that simple?
Yup!

Also, does anyone know if the Thrashing Dragon Style feat chain is worth taking?
Thrashing Dragon Style is awful because you can simply use a strike maneuver or full attack. Style feats also require a swift action to enter every combat, which is a bad opportunity cost since you could use that for a boost or gambit.

Thrashing Dragon Pounce is decent if you're focusing on single strike maneuvers. But warlords are better off full attacking when possible.

Thrashing Dragon Whirlwind is worse than many standard action strike maneuvers you can get by level 11.

Kris Moonhand
2019-08-31, 08:07 PM
I usually houserule Twin Thunder Stance to only work with Piercing Thunder's discipline weapons, but yeah, that's how that works.

TheFamilarRaven
2019-09-01, 04:59 PM
I usually houserule Twin Thunder Stance to only work with Piercing Thunder's discipline weapons, but yeah, that's how that works.

This is probably closer the intent of the ability. The wording suggests that it lets you duel wield any pair of two-handed weapons, but the ability to treat them as light weapons only applies to discipline weapons (I.E. Spears and Polearms).

However, it is neither clear, nor explicit that this was the intention and no errata exists. So if a DM is cool with it, then go for it. Duel Wield them greatswords with your Deadly Agility.

denthor
2019-09-01, 07:53 PM
Since it say while you maintian this stance. Which means to me you are not moving. I would not let you even take a five foot step and do it.

So move up get blows with penalties then next round you get your full attack as you start to maintain the stance

torrasque666
2019-09-01, 08:05 PM
Since it say while you maintian this stance. Which means to me you are not moving. I would not let you even take a five foot step and do it.

So move up get blows with penalties then next round you get your full attack as you start to maintain the stance
There's nothing that states that you lose the stance while moving. If you're going to use the "can't move while using a stance" then there's a whole bunch of stances that don't even work because you decided to screw someone over.

Kris Moonhand
2019-09-01, 11:00 PM

Yeah, that's... not at all how stances work, except for one or two Iron Tortoise stances.

A stance is initiated as a swift action. When you enter a stance, you immediately gain its benefit. You continue to gain the benefit of a typical stance as long as you remain in it. Some stances give you a benefit only when you meet certain conditions. A stance might grant a bonus when you move, or stand still, or if you attack a flat-footed opponent. You cannot enter a stance you are already in.

You'll notice it doesn't say "you immediately lose the effect of any stance as soon as you move".