PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with the Glyph Scriber feat?

FinnDarkblade
2019-08-31, 11:33 AM
I'm hoping to play a Beguiler in an upcoming urban campaign and I'm looking into things to expand my available options. The Glyph Scriber feat is from Dragon Compendium(I know this source is allowed) pg 148 and requires Knowledge(Arcana) 8 ranks and CL 5. It's quite similar to the cleric spell Glyph of Warding except that you pick from a preselected group of 44 glyphs rather than having one that can store a spell. The power of the runes are based off of the level of the spell slot you sacrifice to empower the rune, with CL=2xlevel of slot with a 3rd level slot being the minimum. The glyphs take 10 minutes to scribe and last for 1 hr/level of spell slot or are permanent if you spend 100gp/spell level.

The effects include a lot of single target blast variants which, while not great, at least would give my Beguiler some damage options for relatively cheap. It even has a 1d6/caster level anti-undead option which would be a real boost on a Beguiler. I'm mainly interested though in the save or die options such as "Fort save or get Baleful Polymorphed into an earthworm for 1rd/CL" or "Will save or fall asleep". My idea is to scribe the glyphs onto arrows and use them as an effect-delivery system since the feat description says nothing about what the glyphs can be scribed on and the trigger conditions can be someone touching it or someone entering its square. Does this seem like a worthwhile use of my level 6 feat or does it seem like more trouble than it's worth compared to just getting some wands?

Zaq
2019-08-31, 01:19 PM
The only real discussion of the feat I've ever seen came in daremetoidareyo's O-Pare (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23046775&postcount=71) build in the shugenja round of Iron Chef E6.

I've never really dived into it myself, though.

FinnDarkblade
2019-08-31, 01:51 PM
The only real discussion of the feat I've ever seen came in daremetoidareyo's O-Pare (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23046775&postcount=71) build in the shugenja round of Iron Chef E6.

I've never really dived into it myself, though.

Yeah, I searched the forum before posting and came across that too. It looks like he came to some similar conclusions about which ones might be useful.