PDA

View Full Version : I'm out of ideas about backgrounds/story for my cleric and need help

~Soul
2019-08-31, 12:43 PM
Hi there!

I'm going to play a hill dwarf cleric, domain of life, he serves to Lathander and will join to Ravenloft

I don't know anything about clerics, so I would appreciate some ideas, also, I need help with the background to unify it and give it coherence and cohesion.

The main idea is to build a dwarf who lives in an Amish city/town and wants to join adventures, then, he lives bad experiences and finally is aware of the evil in the world, making him reflects to help others, who like him, have needed help and they haven't got it

- His city, located in a place in the mountains, was inhabited by clans of dwarfs from the hills,They are versed miners and blacksmiths, who initially made trade with foreigners and cities. But, over the years, they became more closed with respect to other races, travelers, merchants and foreigners because they were treated for illiterates who could easily be deceived, and tried to take advantage of them.
- My character was developing a feeling of denial to his people, motivated by merchants, adventurers and others travellers who came to his city, and they found a sullen response from the dwarves: "We do not want you here"
- He left his birthplace seeking adventures and knowledges, ignoring the advice and threats of his family and friends.
- He went from town to town, and city to city, offering his services as a blacksmith or as miner.
- He was underpaid, and that ended up affecting him, becoming malnourished
- Eventually, after being cheated and underpaid for a while, he was thrown out of the villages like a dog.
- He made the decision to join a clan of thieves and bandits, as a last option.
- He started to stealing to travelers in bad routes/roads with/for the clan.
- Selling his robbed things in cities and towns.
- Even hurting other people in his heists.
- But this situation didn't last long, the clan to which he belonged gained fame, and soon, and the justice put a price to their heads.
- His clan was persecuted, and one by one, the members were captured, defected or killed.
- In one of the robberies, the dwarf was injured, and left behind by the clan. He rambled for days in the region, until he was captured by the guard of a lord, who enslaved him.
- He spent years enslaved, working for the Lord, and being mistreated.
- In a riot created by slaves, he manages to escape with a small group of people.
- The group was persecuted and divided. The dwarf, after a long road, fell faint
- When he regained consciousness, he was in a room, belonging to a sacred temple, devoted to Lathander.
- He remained in bed for a while, until he regained strength.
- There, he became friends with novices and clergy.
- And these, transmitted the values of his faith. The dwarf, for the first time since he began his journey,
- The dwarf, for the first time since he began his journey, he felt at home, and reflected about his actions.
- He stayed with them for a long time, helping them in what they needed, teaching them the hard work of forging and mining.
- And was so great, the impact caused by this new experience, and its good reception in the clergy that he decided to embrace faith, and be part of them.
- He was educated and taught for a while until he was able to become a novice, and no less important: Dawnbringer
- Many years later, already trained as a cleric, he decided to embark on his journey through Sword Coast to instruct those in need, lead by example, and take Lathender's faith to any corner in need.
- Wearing the emblem of his faith engraved on his armor, a dawn, and holding his shield and war hammer tightly, he embarks on his true adventure path

(I tried my best to write it in english)

Edit: Hill Dwarf, Cleric, Domain of Life, Acolyte, serves to Lathander.

NNescio
2019-08-31, 12:46 PM
Artisan, Criminal or Acolyte, depending on which part of your dwarf's life you want to emphasize.

Edit:
Or customize a background by drawing traits from the three. It's allowed by the rules. (It's not even a variant rule or something that requires [additional] DM's permission; the option is made available to players by default.)

~Soul
2019-08-31, 12:49 PM
Artisan, Criminal or Acolyte, depending on which part of your dwarf's life you want to emphasize.

Or customize a background by drawing traits from the three. It's allowed by the rules.

Yes, I want to focus the post on the story that I have written, and try to unify it

Tawmis
2019-08-31, 11:05 PM
Story written for your consideration in my thread...
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=24121406&postcount=429