PDA

View Full Version : Rules question

FabulousFizban
2019-08-31, 01:12 PM
if i cast warding bond and bless, does the target get 1d4+1 to saving throws?

JNAProductions
2019-08-31, 01:13 PM
Yes.

To counter, why would they not?

FabulousFizban
2019-08-31, 01:25 PM
Yes.

To counter, why would they not?

i wasn’t sure that they stacked

JackPhoenix
2019-08-31, 02:35 PM
i wasn’t sure that they stacked

Unless it's the same spell, everything stacks.

FabulousFizban
2019-08-31, 04:36 PM

that is not true. for instance, you can’t stack unarmored defense and mage armor

Coffee_Dragon
2019-08-31, 05:06 PM
that is not true. for instance, you can’t stack unarmored defense and mage armor

But each of those sets your AC to a value, so stacking doesn't apply. (Stacking 10+X and 10+Y to 20+X+Y sounds pretty sweet though.)

JNAProductions
2019-08-31, 05:41 PM
But each of those sets your AC to a value, so stacking doesn't apply. (Stacking 10+X and 10+Y to 20+X+Y sounds pretty sweet though.)

Exactly. You technically can stack Mage Armor and Unarmored Defense, as in both can be active at the same time. But Mage Armor is not "+3 to AC" nor is Unarmored Defense "+Wis/Con mod to AC". They each have their own formula.

cajbaj
2019-08-31, 06:12 PM

Except temp HP.

Protolisk
2019-08-31, 06:25 PM
Except temp HP.

And aforementioned AC calculations, if they set the base AC.

And Extra Attacks from different sources, like Thirsting Blade. And any features that have the same name. And advantages. And disadvantages. And duplicates of the same condition. Except exhaustion does stack.

Nagog
2019-08-31, 06:57 PM
And aforementioned AC calculations, if they set the base AC.

And Extra Attacks from different sources, like Thirsting Blade. And any features that have the same name. And advantages. And disadvantages. And duplicates of the same condition. Except exhaustion does stack.

And spheres, spheres don't stack. I've tried.

In all seriousness, I think this thread has pretty much everything covered. In 5e, if anything is listed as a "+X bonus to Y", it's stackable. Which is really freaking nice.

In the vein of stacking AC, you cannot stack Unarmored Defense with Unarmored Defense or Mage armor, but you can stack it with the AC bonus of a Bladesinger, so with 3 maxed stats your AC can be 25 while running around naked, and with Shield or Defensive Duelist feat you can make your AC 31 (at maxed level, which with 3 maxed stats you're either very much blessed with AC boosting magic items or you're at level 20 and used all your ASIs).

So now you know how to make a Naked Tank. And now you have to live with that information.

Zhorn
2019-08-31, 11:01 PM
And spheres, spheres don't stack. I've tried.

*Clears throat for Jeff Goldblum impression*

https://media.giphy.com/media/VHW0X0GEQQjiU/giphy.gif
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a2/HCP_Oranges.jpg/1200px-HCP_Oranges.jpg

Coffee_Dragon
2019-09-01, 09:16 AM
And spheres, spheres don't stack.

I heard this in the voice of Ron Perlman.

Chronos
2019-09-01, 12:05 PM
Quoth Nagog:

In all seriousness, I think this thread has pretty much everything covered. In 5e, if anything is listed as a "+X bonus to Y", it's stackable. Which is really freaking nice.
But on the other hand, there are a lot less +X bonuses around than there used to be. Most of the things that used to give a bonus or penalty now just give advantage or disadvantage.