PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Biggest racial bonus without cheese

Zaq
2019-08-31, 02:12 PM
I mentioned elsewhere that a killoren (RotW pg. 103) manifesting the aspect of the ancient gets a racial bonus to K: Nature checks equal to their HD. Considering that the killoren is an ECL 0 race and requires no investment of feats, skill points, etc. to get this bonus, that strikes me as one of the largest bonuses you're going to get from your race, especially without investing feats and suchlike.

So that got me thinking: what other playable races (ideally ECL 0, but I'll also accept other races that WotC gives reasonable playable LAs to--anything more than about +2 is really, really pushing it for me) give similarly huge racial bonuses to some skill or another with minimal investment?

Offhand, anything with a climb speed tends to get +8 on Climb checks and anything with a swim speed tends to get +8 on Swim checks, insofar as those skills are still meaningful once you get the movement speed. Low-hanging fruit. Let's keep going.

Of course, being smaller than Medium grants bonuses to Hide checks (often quite nice ones), but that's not really specific to the race. Same with being faster than 30' and getting a bonus to Jump checks. Let's mostly stick to what's tagged as a "racial bonus" as much as we can.

Raptorans and wing-aspect dragonborn get +10 on Jump, which is impressive. If you're willing to invest a feat, there's technically nothing saying that a dragonborn with the wing aspect can't take the Dragon Wings feat (pg. 100 of RotD), which also gives a +10 racial bonus to Jump. Since PHB pg. 171 specifies that racial bonuses stack, this can turn into a +20 with a feat, though I admit that it's a little goofy.

Speaking of Jump, thri-kreen get a whopping +30 to Jump, which may be the biggest we can find out of the box, but they also have RHD and LA, the exact amount of which depends on which thri-kreen you use.

Rilkans get a scaling competence (not racial) bonus to Knowledge checks based on how many soulmelds they have shaped, but it's only 1 per 2 soulmelds, so it's hard to get more than about a +5 even at high levels, and it's not trivial to reach that amount.

There are a few races that get +4 to various things without getting into size mods or movement stuff. Goblins notably get +4 on Ride and Move Silently, whisper gnomes get a +4 on Hide (which, although I said we aren't focusing on size bonuses, is still noticeable simply because it does indeed stack with the size bonus) and Move Silently, and I'm pretty sure those aren't the final examples.

That ought to be enough to get the ball rolling. What other neat big racial bonuses are out there?

StevenC21
2019-08-31, 02:14 PM
Well, the ECL 4 Thri-Kreen (2 RHD, LA +2) get a flat +30 to Jump.

Mr Adventurer
2019-08-31, 04:27 PM
Kalashtar get 1 bonus power point per level. It's not a skill bonus, but it equals the Killoren aspect bonus to Knowledge (nature) and is probably more useful.

Biggus
2019-08-31, 08:12 PM
Forest Gnomes get +4 to Hide, and a further +4 in forested areas, which both stack with their +4 for being small. Oh, and they're eligible for the Forester feat. I'm currently DMing for a Ranger who had a +22 Hide bonus in forested areas at 1st level.

The Viscount
2019-08-31, 08:33 PM
If we're talking bonuses to skills, we have to mention Changeling. I know that their +10 bonus to Disguise is actually circumstance from Minor Change Shape, but it seems in the spirit, if not the letter of what we're talking about. Something that always screwed me up is that they're technically still subject to the -2 penalty for disguising themselves as members of another race, so that +10 is essentially always only a +8. At least one person realized this, and you can negate the penalty with the racial emulation feat.

If you want the Dragonborn with Dragon Wings to shoot for MAXIMUM JUMPING, you can start with Varag as a base. They have an unprecedented 60 ft move speed, so would add a further +12 to jump checks

Anthrowhale
2019-08-31, 08:41 PM
This doesn't quite fit, but:

1) A Sparrow Hengeyokai gets a +22=+16(Size)+6(Dex) bonus to Hide in sparrow form.

2) Anything that can fly has an effective +infinity to jump or climb for certain purposes.

Asmotherion
2019-08-31, 10:12 PM
Spellscales Blood Quickening can give a racial bonus to one skill of choice; renew each day to choose an other one (and other bonuses). To bonus equals 1/2 character level.

Since spellcraft is on the list they become competant incantarixes.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-08-31, 10:15 PM
Humans gain 3+1 skill points per level, so investing all of those in a skill gives you a bonus of HD+3. And using the feat to free up the 3rd level HD feat for Item Familiar grants an extra 33% bonus to ALL skills invested in it, including the human-granted skill bonus...

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-08-31, 10:15 PM
Combining a few things, you could have a Dragonborn (Aspect of Wings) Thri-Kreen that traded one of their feats for Dragon Wings in the Ritual of Rebirth, for a total +50 racial bonus at ECL 3. Actually, hang on, can monstrous humanoids take Dragonborn?

daremetoidareyo
2019-08-31, 10:58 PM
A druid with aberration wildshape can wild shape into something in my survival guide with a +20 to survival checks

The Viscount
2019-09-01, 12:07 AM
Combining a few things, you could have a Dragonborn (Aspect of Wings) Thri-Kreen that traded one of their feats for Dragon Wings in the Ritual of Rebirth, for a total +50 racial bonus at ECL 3. Actually, hang on, can monstrous humanoids take Dragonborn?

Interestingly, they can. The only listed prerequisites are nonevil alignment and Int 3.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-09-01, 12:19 AM
Don't thri-kreen lose their +30 racial bonus to Jump checks when they take the template, though?

Zaq
2019-09-01, 01:22 AM
Yes, they do. So you’re better off just getting the Dragon Wings feat (easy with a flaw; I had considered a dip in DFA, but those racial HD get in the way).

Dimers
2019-09-01, 01:38 AM
There are a few ways to stack Stonecunning, which is a racial bonus. AFAIK though, everything besides the base +2 is class-based (cleric domain, racial paragon, a prestige class or two ...).