PDA

View Full Version : [DSP] Rajah Unseen Servants Clarification

Dr_Dinosaur
2019-08-31, 06:33 PM
Very excited to finally try this class out, but the vague specifics of Unseen Servant and the lack of explanation for how the modifications made by House of Servants interact with them has the DM and I scratching our heads. An official word of any kind would be a godsend.

1. First off, it says I choose the "appearance" of the servants. So are they not "invisible, shapeless force" when created by a Rajah?
2. Does the appearance have to have any particular size or body shape?
3. Do Unseen Servants even take up a space in the first place, and if not does now having a defined shape change that? Can they hold on to a creature as it moves?
4. Lastly, what action (if any) is it to command them? I've seen assertions that in the absence of a specific rule it's a Move action to maintain/direct a spell, but if that's so do I have to use a Move action for each servant or can I command them all at once (EG to carry the palanquin)? Is it really a move action to make them say something (a free action)?

Sorry for so many questions, we've never fully grasped the spell so I want to be sure of the details before I try making my House of Servants into obviously-magical dogs or something

heavyfuel
2019-08-31, 06:47 PM
So, the main thing is the ability is similar to the Unseen Servant, but it is a distinct ability with its own rules.

1 - Correct. However, they can be made invisible after creation as a free action.

Unlike normal unseen servants, a rajah’s servants have a unique appearance determined by the rajah, and can talk (although being mindless, they only say what they’re told to say).[...] A rajah can also make her servants invisible (or return them to visibility) as a free action.

2 - They are always "obviously not creatures", but otherwise they can be any shape and size the Rajah wants. I'd say this one is up for DM discression.

3 - They are not creatures, and they are not terrain either, so I'd say no. Although they can move, I'd say they're just an effect that can move. Having a defined shape I'd say it's much like an illusion, as in, it's just a ribbon ability.

5? - I guess you're correct that it's a move action, though I'd say they - as a collective - are a single effect, so one move action for all. Again, up to your DM.

That's my 2 cp

Dr_Dinosaur
2019-09-01, 12:19 AM
I had a 4 there but deleted it and forgot to edit the 5 lol. Thank you for the advice!