PDA

View Full Version : Druid build

Inea
2019-08-31, 06:50 PM
Hi,

I'm just starting with a new character and I would really love to play a Druid… but centered around plants, not animals or anything else.
I would have expected to find something suitable in the Druid subclasses but I'm a little bit lost.

I don't mind if the character doesn't end up very powerful, I'm more into the roleplaying part, but at the same time, it looks like such a waste taking a druid and not using half of his features.

My best bet at the moment is refluffing the Spore-Druid and maybe a few of his spells, so they sound more plant-ish.
(as far as the DM approves of course, but he is very open if it's more or less just about the "fluff")

Any other ideas how to deal with the problem?

Fable Wright
2019-08-31, 10:53 PM
Circle of the Land for Grasslands, Woodlands, etc. would all work for your purposes, I'd think.

As for making use of Wild Shape, recall that for many plants can only be propagated by creatures of the animal kingdom. Some varieties of coffee, for example, need to be digested by animals before their seeds can germinate; your druid might have taken to learning how to assume these forms to aid their grove.

You can also refluff some of your higher-level summons like the Bheur hag as mystic caretakers of the environment; Control Weather can help help out the growth of nearby plants, and the cold blasts allow you prune destructive plants through the natural cycle of winter, rather than tearing them out.

Inea
2019-09-01, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the suggestions!

Unfortunatly not really what I searched. I guess I was too unspecific. The character is focused around plants - but he is not the classic "Druid" as in "keeper of the nature" etc.
He doesn't have any deeper connection to the wildlife. He doesn't care for animals - or plants, at least not conscious.
He didn't choose to be a Druid - he didn't even know or think of himself as a Druid. Maybe one day he will become one, but until then, he is just someone with magic talent and a long history of weird "plant-incidents".

I guess my imaginations of the character are already too specific...

nickl_2000
2019-09-01, 09:32 AM
What about a nature cleric, would that fit the bill for you needs?

Inea
2019-09-01, 10:54 AM
What about a nature cleric, would that fit the bill for you needs?

Unexpected.
I will have to take a closer look at the cleric spells, but it's not too far off I guess. We already have a cleric, Light domain, but it could work.
Thanks!

EDIT: But I have to add - it's really sad if a cleric is more Plant-focused than a Druid... xD

nickl_2000
2019-09-01, 11:59 AM
Unexpected.
I will have to take a closer look at the cleric spells, but it's not too far off I guess. We already have a cleric, Light domain, but it could work.
Thanks!

EDIT: But I have to add - it's really sad if a cleric is more Plant-focused than a Druid... xD

Cleric isn't more plant focused than Druid, but you weren't really a fan of Spore Druid and didn't seem otherwise interested. So, I threw out another option for you to look into and see if it fit into what you were hoping for in your mind.

Bobthewizard
2019-09-01, 12:57 PM
You could play a land druid and take plant based spells. It’s not optimized, but it could still be effective. Here are some spells that fit

Cantrips- Druidcraft, Guidance, Thorn Whip
Level 1 – Entangle, Absorb Elements, Goodberry, Purify Food and Drink
Level 2 – Pass Without Trace, Spike Growth
Level 3 – Plant Growth, Speak with Plants
Level 4 – Blight, Grasping Vine, Guardian of Nature
Level 5 – Awaken, Tree Stride, Wrath of Nature

I feel like with thorn whip, entangle, spike growth and plant growth you have some combat options.

I’d probably take forest for the theme of spells. It's not perfect, but likely closest.
3rd Barkskin, Spider Climb
5th Call Lightning, Plant Growth
7th Divination, Freedom of Movement
9th Commune with Nature, Tree Stride

You could also see if you could reflavor conjure animals to be conjure plants and summon appropriate CR plants.

Inea
2019-09-02, 04:08 AM
Thanks a lot! =)

Bobthewizard
2019-09-02, 07:06 AM
For a reflavored Conjure plants, here are some options by CR to present to your DM.

1/4 = Needle Blight
1/2 = Myconid Adult or Vine Blight
1 = Thorny or Quaggoth Spore Servant
2 = Awakened Tree, Myconid Sovereign or Vegepygmy Chief