PDA

View Full Version : This skillmonkey is almost done. Now it's time to thank you all.

Trandir
2019-08-31, 06:52 PM
In the last month I created quite the number of threads with lots and lots of questions and this one will be the last one for this PC's build in the skill monkey applications.
Is not optimal but usually optiamal is not necessary to have fun.

Little house rules:
In this setting any first level in a class provude 4×skill ranks and max hp from the class' HD,
Take 10 gives an untyped +10 bonus to the check and skill checks fails on a 1 but this increases by a lot the chances of succeding with skill mastery.

ECL 14
Race: PHB halfling

With the gold the DM conceded and an arteficer with 10 years to craft the best equipment possible I got some good items (most of them not offensively oriented):

Belt of giant strenght +4;
Amulet of ealth +6;
Gloves of dexterity +7;
Ring of protection +5;
Cloak of resistance +5;
"Napkin of prestidigitation" (custom prestidigitation at will);
Luckstone;
Celestial armor wightless with (custom) continuous Guidance of the avatar and divine insight;
Warning feycraft short sword +1;
Circlet of shapechange (custom shapechange at will);
Heward's handy haversac;
Wand of invisibility;
Ring of sustenance;
Hand of the mage;
Manual of quickness of action+5;
Masterwork Tools for all skills, some are impossible to use during combat but still;
And then mundane equipments: rope, bedroll, lamp ecc...

The stats of this PC:

Stat: Base/with items
Str: 8/12
Dex: 27/34
Cos: 14/20
Int: 14/14
Wis: 12/12
Cha: 12/12

HP:

Rogue 10: 45 hp
Shadowdancer 2: 15 hp
Warblade 1: 12 hp
Dragonfire Adept 1: 8 hp
Base Con bonus: 28 hp
Con with item bonus: 70 hp
Total: 108/150 hp

Feats:

Dodge, lv 1
Mobility, lv 3
Combat reflexes, lv 6
Darkstalker, lv 9
lv 12 feat still to decide
Dragontouched, class bonus feat

Class levels:

Rogue 10 (special ability Skill Mastery on: hide, move silently, tumble, sleight of hand and spot)
Shadowdancer 2
Warblade 1
Dragonfire Adept 1

ACF:

Spell Reflection, rogue 2
Spell Sense, rogue 3
Distruptive Attack, rogue 4

Maneuvers:

This maneuvers have been mastered over the span of 2 years of this PC life so the lower level ones made possible to take the higher level ones.

Maneuvers:
Leading the Attack
White Raven Tactics
Iron Heart Surge

Stance:
Punishing Stance

Invocation:

Just one least invocation from the DfA dip

Draconic Knowledge

Skills:

Thanks to the skill monkey gear every single skill has at least +36 bonus (20 competence GotA, 15 insight Divine Insight, 1 luck Luckstone)
But some get as high as +80, hide, thanks to skill ranks and +12 fron dex and +10 from skill mastery.

Major skill invesments:
Tumble 16
Search 17
Knowledge (Arcane) 15 and all other monster related knowledge 1 exept local with 5
Disable device 16
Hide 16
Move Silently 16
Spot 17
Sleight of Hand 16
Open Lock 16
UMD 14

And about other 30 ranks scattered around ,just one to be able to use it or 5 for synergy bonus, on: jump, diplomacy, autohypnosis, iaijutsu focus, perform (dance), the skill trick clarity of vision, sense motive and bluff.

This should be all about this pc. I have to thank everyone of you that helped in building my "first" 3.5 PC.

As last note what should I get now as class and feats?
I am not sure. This halfling can pretty much succed any check meant for pre epic characters and can even use reliably some epic level skill, hide another is just -30 on the check +50 is still more than enough to walk under the nose of pretty much anything or the sleight of hand teleport with DC 80, detect magic at will with DC 50 appraise ecc... . And shapechange at will can provide all the battle prowess a noncaster can ever dream to have.

And again thanks for the help in actually building it

bean illus
2019-08-31, 06:59 PM
Does the base dex include the manual?

Quick reconnoiter? Free listen and spot every round for your never surprised character.

Trandir
2019-08-31, 07:02 PM
Does the base dex include the manual?

It does. 18 rolled, +2 racial, +1 twice from level 8 and 12 (the first one got constitution to 14) and +5 from the book

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-08-31, 07:05 PM
How about Ancestral Relic for a free magic item? Landlord? You can finagle your way into a free magic item with a really high cost, assuming it starts out as a "stronghold" (like an outhouse or a boat or something) which you can then imbue with shape-altering powers and then use the remainder of your stronghold money to enhance it with lots of magical power to use as a magic item on your person.

Since you have shapechange at will, can you go with some warshaper?

Trandir
2019-08-31, 07:28 PM
How about Ancestral Relic for a free magic item? Landlord? You can finagle your way into a free magic item with a really high cost, assuming it starts out as a "stronghold" (like an outhouse or a boat or something) which you can then imbue with shape-altering powers and then use the remainder of your stronghold money to enhance it with lots of magical power to use as a magic item on your person.

Since you have shapechange at will, can you go with some warshaper?

Emmm are you suggesting to create a stronghold magic item to "cheat" the money out of the feat. This can work on paper no doubt about that but I will not do it. It is cheesy and no DM with any conscience (and this one have at least some) would allow it.

That sayed maybe the combo: leadership, landlord could be funny.

Ok qualify for PrC with magic items by the rules is possible but it's also a little goofy in my opinion.

Still thanks for the ideas and have a nice day

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-08-31, 07:37 PM
Instead of having shapechange on a wearable magic item, how about imbuing your skin as a magic item, instead? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?177889-Brainstorm-for-Psionic-Tricks-Tactics-and-Combos-Handbook/page11&p=23285432#post23285432)

Here're a few:

Let Me Touch Your Skin
So, find someone who can create and install illithid grafts (LoM). No, illithids are not a good idea here, because you'll wake up without a brain. Try a relatively trustworthy shapeshifter who can take the form of an illithid, or destroy the mind of an illithid and then use one of the myriad ways of inhabiting its body and do it yourself; those are much better ideas. Have 'em put you (or your body, at least) under for a few weeks (best done in quintessence) and remove your skin, turning it into an illithid humanoid skin graft. Now, ensure it's preserved via gentle repose or similar, and then enhance it as a magic item or twenty, which will take up your magic item slots, (?)(un)fortunately(?). Then reinstall.

My favorite is the below WoC sanctified psychoactive skin of proteus, with a built-in 'possum pouch that is itself enhanced as a handy haversack + sanctified enveloping pit (for a 10' x 10' x 50' haversack), with hands that act like gloves of the master strategist to shrink items and auto-store them in your pouch.

Now you're a shapeshifter who has his own video game inventory.

Holy Psychoactive Skin, Batman! (Meh; I'll think of something better to call it later.)
Use the Words of Creation (WoC) feat on a sanctified psychoactive skin of proteus. Now you've got +1 ML for fairly cheap on it, and you can use it to turn into creatures of 8 HD or lower. This works well for any psionic or magic item, really, but on the skin of proteus it's especially valuable.

Trandir
2019-08-31, 07:50 PM
Instead of having shapechange on a wearable magic item, how about imbuing your skin as a magic item, instead? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23285432&postcount=324)

Ok this is even more convoluted. It works 100% the setup is weird and hard to come by but possible. The reason why I do not want to get into a shapeshifting PrC (other than the fact that my DM will probably kill me if I ever propose to do it) is because we got a Master of Many forms with warshaper levels. I do not want to become a copy of his build.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-08-31, 07:51 PM
Ok this is even more convoluted. It works 100% the setup is weird and hard to come by but possible. The reason why I do not want to get into a shapeshifting PrC (other than the fact that my DM will probably kill me if I ever propose to do it) is because we got a Master of Many forms with warshaper levels. I do not want to become a copy of his build.I figured it'd be much more difficult to lose your at-will shapechange if it's actually a part of you.

Also, it's too bad you're not a [psionic] character. Psicrystal Affinity is a fantastic feat for utility purposes.

Biggus
2019-08-31, 08:48 PM
For 36,000GP you could have an item which casts the Bard spell Improvisation (SpC) on command at CL20 (up to +10 Luck bonus to skill checks, among other things). If you trade in your Luckstone that's only 16,000GP left to find...

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-08-31, 09:00 PM
For 36,000GP you could have an item which casts the Bard spell Improvisation (SpC) on command at CL20 (up to +10 Luck bonus to skill checks, among other things). If you trade in your Luckstone that's only 16,000GP left to find...And instead of the ring of protection +5 (50,000 gp), buy yourself a +1 defending weapon (such as a poison ring, from Dragon Compendium; 8,300 gp) and a tooth of Leraje (21,600 gp). Use greater magic weapon from the tooth, and you'd have a +5 defending weapon, and you'd save about 20,000 gold pieces for the same benefit.

In fact, you'll want to get one poison ring for defense and offense. Note that you can make sneak attacks as touch attacks via a poison ring. Get yourself a weapon crystal (from the MIC) and add several of them to a single weapon crystal (via the rules in the MIC; ie, a 50% markup for all but the most expensive ability you add), then use the weapon crystal as a gem in the poison ring. Enjoy.

Trandir
2019-09-01, 04:18 AM
For 36,000GP you could have an item which casts the Bard spell Improvisation (SpC) on command at CL20 (up to +10 Luck bonus to skill checks, among other things). If you trade in your Luckstone that's only 16,000GP left to find...

Well I could but is it really necessary? No but sure as hell it is fun

And instead of the ring of protection +5 (50,000 gp), buy yourself a +1 defending weapon (such as a poison ring, from Dragon Compendium; 8,300 gp) and a tooth of Leraje (21,600 gp). Use greater magic weapon from the tooth, and you'd have a +5 defending weapon, and you'd save about 20,000 gold pieces for the same benefit.

In fact, you'll want to get one poison ring for defense and offense. Note that you can make sneak attacks as touch attacks via a poison ring. Get yourself a weapon crystal (from the MIC) and add several of them to a single weapon crystal (via the rules in the MIC; ie, a 50% markup for all but the most expensive ability you add), then use the weapon crystal as a gem in the poison ring. Enjoy.

Ok I can't find the tooth but judging from the price it can cast once per day greater magic weapon at CL 20, and since it will last 20 hours once per day is enough.
Isn't a bit execcive to add weapon crystal on the poison ring? That thing should never be used in combat

So by draging the combined 70.000 gp from ring of protetion +5 and luckstone I can get an hidden weapon, greater magic weapon CL 20 1/day, +5 enchantment to AC that stacks with all others, at will +10 to attack rolls ability and skill checks and 4.100 gp are left. That is a lot more stuff for less

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-09-01, 11:49 AM
Ok I can't find the tooth but judging from the price it can cast once per day greater magic weapon at CL 20, and since it will last 20 hours once per day is enough.The tooth of Leraje is in Tome of Magic. It's one of the teeth of dahlvar nar. You have to replace one of your molars for it (or one of your wisdom teeth, since many people need to have those removed anyway). It does indeed grant greater magic weapon 1/day at CL 20, as a spell-like ability, no less. Hire a spellthief to give its effects to the whole party.

Isn't a bit execcive to add weapon crystal on the poison ring? That thing should never be used in combatWhy not? Most of the ones you'll want are a mere +1d6 energy damage, or ghost touch (which is only occasionally useful), which aren't exactly broken. Especially when compared to at-will shapechange. The poison ring is actually more useful on its own, especially if you've got additional damage via sneak attack. All the extra energy damage just means you can use it when you're not hiding or flanking, generally because you need to make an attack of opportunity or have to attack something that can't be sneak attacked.

So by draging the combined 70.000 gp from ring of protetion +5 and luckstone I can get an hidden weapon, greater magic weapon CL 20 1/day, +5 enchantment to AC that stacks with all others, at will +10 to attack rolls ability and skill checks and 4.100 gp are left. That is a lot more stuff for lessIsn't it, though?

Also, you may want to look at Shax's Indispensable Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook)) for cheap and useful magic and alchemical items that no adventurer should be without.

If you'd like more options for ways to get your numbers up cheaply, I'm sure we can accommodate. For instance, if you can get another greater magic weapon at CL 20 and cast it on a second poison ring, this one a +1 spellstrike weapon (from City of Splendors: Waterdeep), it acts as a defending weapon, except it adds the bonus to your saving throws vs spells and spell-likes, instead of AC. It can take the place of your save booster fairly easily. Use the extra money to get yourself total concealment, so single-target stuff can't target you, and anything that isn't an AoE has a 50% miss chance against you. (And if you get something that grants you ethereality or incorporeality, non-magic stuff can't hurt you at all.)

Trandir
2019-09-01, 12:40 PM
The tooth of Leraje is in Tome of Magic. It's one of the teeth of dahlvar nar. You have to replace one of your molars for it (or one of your wisdom teeth, since many people need to have those removed anyway). It does indeed grant greater magic weapon 1/day at CL 20, as a spell-like ability, no less. Hire a spellthief to give its effects to the whole party.

Why not? Most of the ones you'll want are a mere +1d6 energy damage, or ghost touch (which is only occasionally useful), which aren't exactly broken. Especially when compared to at-will shapechange. The poison ring is actually more useful on its own, especially if you've got additional damage via sneak attack. All the extra energy damage just means you can use it when you're not hiding or flanking, generally because you need to make an attack of opportunity or have to attack something that can't be sneak attacked.

Isn't it, though?

Also, you may want to look at Shax's Indispensable Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook)) for cheap and useful magic and alchemical items that no adventurer should be without.

If you'd like more options for ways to get your numbers up cheaply, I'm sure we can accommodate. For instance, if you can get another greater magic weapon at CL 20 and cast it on a second poison ring, this one a +1 spellstrike weapon (from City of Splendors: Waterdeep), it acts as a defending weapon, except it adds the bonus to your saving throws vs spells and spell-likes, instead of AC. It can take the place of your save booster fairly easily. Use the extra money to get yourself total concealment, so single-target stuff can't target you, and anything that isn't an AoE has a 50% miss chance against you.

Well you sure are helping. I really appreciate this.

Now about the thoot it won't be necessary the rest of the part either has better weapons or do not use them so 1 charge per day just for me will do.

The crystal staking is nice and has a far better ratio dmg boost/gp than enchantment in most cases. The problem is that doing it now would be over this pc actual financial possibility, maybe after the next quest.

I completely forgot about the Batman backpack. I will definetly get one.

A second charge for magic weapon greater would simply double the cost of the item. So by giving back the cloak of resistance +5 to get a second poisoned ring and a second charge I'd be under by 4.900 gp not much but that enchantment only works against spell and spell like ability so it's more flexible and also a little bit less effective but still worth considering since it too stacks with all other buffs one day it might be good to have another +5 to ST.
Also a really good bonus to hide, HIPS and darkstalker should provide bonus similar to total concealment right?

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-09-02, 07:00 PM
I figured it'd be much more difficult to lose your at-will shapechange if it's actually a part of you.*Ahem.*

There're reasons why I make sure my WBL can't be removed from my person without permission.

I'm sorry you had to learn the lesson the hard way.

Trandir
2019-09-02, 07:12 PM
*Ahem.*

There're reasons why I make sure my WBL can't be removed from my person without permission.

I'm sorry you had to learn the lesson the hard way.

Well hello there. Full of helpfull advices as always.

But according to the DM we are "lucky" that we were only robbed. This thief stole the prothesis magically linked to the sorcerer body whitout waking him, he could have easly just sliced our throats, steal and our corpses to avoid be resurrected, or I could have just be skinned. In this weird world walk many epic NPCs and even at lv 18 we can do jack **** to them.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-09-02, 07:13 PM
Well hello there. Full of helpfull advices as always.

But according to the DM we are "lucky" that we were only robbed. This thief stole the prothesis connected to the sorcerer body whitout waking him, he could as easly just sliced our throats, steal and our corpses to avoid be resurrected, or I could have just be skinned. In this weird world walk many epic NPC and even at lv 18 we can do jack **** to them.Sounds like a campaign you might want to walk out of.

Maybe find an online game?

Trandir
2019-09-02, 07:15 PM
Sounds like a campaign you might want to walk out of.

Maybe find an online game?

I am considering to do both.

bean illus
2019-09-02, 09:06 PM
I am considering to do both.

I think you'd make a good dm.