PDA

View Full Version : Kensai - Automatic Proficiency - How far can it go?

Cikomyr
2019-08-31, 08:25 PM
So... Silly question.

The Kensai can pick any weapon, and gain proficiency in it. And it will do damage in line with the Monk martial art table.

Could I pick.. Say.. And umbrella? A pistol gun? Any improvised weapon? (specifically, like a bottle, not "every improvised weapon")?

Can I create a multi-barrel blowgun and have it qualify as a weapon?

UnintensifiedFa
2019-08-31, 08:37 PM
No, “any-weapon” has some parameters as outlined in the kensei subclass.
“Choose two types of weapons to be your kensei weapons: one melee weapon and one ranged weapon. Each of these weapons can be any simple or martial weapon that lacks the heavy and special properties. The longbow is also a valid choice.”
However, as a dm I would be willing to make an exception for improvised weapon proficiency, as it mechanically makes little difference.

Millstone85
2019-08-31, 08:57 PM
I invented "point-and-pommel proficiency" so my character could deal piercing or bludgeoning damage with a longsword while still treating it as a kensei weapon.

It is unlikely to ever matter, but it looks cool in my mind. The DM had no problem with it.

Cikomyr
2019-08-31, 09:55 PM
No, “any-weapon” has some parameters as outlined in the kensei subclass.
“Choose two types of weapons to be your kensei weapons: one melee weapon and one ranged weapon. Each of these weapons can be any simple or martial weapon that lacks the heavy and special properties. The longbow is also a valid choice.”
However, as a dm I would be willing to make an exception for improvised weapon proficiency, as it mechanically makes little difference.

Yhea, sorry. Should have specified "outside of the specifically excluded weapons"